26 | missions

THREE months had passed since her two weeks with Clint Barton

THREE months had passed since her two weeks with Clint Barton. It was four since Tony Stark became known to the world as Iron Man. Lyra was completely stuck in her work for S.H.I.E.L.D. since Maria Hill decided her brains should be used for now. Tony was ecstatic with her being home... even sectioning a part of his lab for her research. He had gotten over his hissy fit about Clint Barton, realizing how much Lyra did to be around him as much as possible.

Pepper was up to her neck in work for the Stark Expo that she did not even think was important right now. She hated the idea of the expo.

Tony had began to act strange around her, and she wanted to know exactly why he was avoiding her in the lab at some points—disappearing and returning with a grim look as he sucked on his index finger for a moment.

As for their relationship, it was still slow. He had taken her out a few times, but they were both so engrossed in their work that they felt keeping out of the spotlight for now was the best. Granted, Tony did not stop kissing her any chance he got, public or not.

Lyra's phone began to ring, the familiar number of Clint Barton appearing on her phone. Tony rose a brow her way as he was fiddling with a new suit with the robots trying to get it to fit his body well enough.

"Hey, Clint," shd said, causing Tony to scowl.

"Hey, Lyra. We got a mission if you're up for it," Clint said briskly.

"Uh—yeah, give me a second to shut this off," she said, turning off a device she was working with. She went to sit at Tony's station, watching him with a smirk. "Tell me about it."

"Kind of a gang sitution with a no-no organization that dislikes S.H.I.E.L.D. We would go in two day's time to London to get the supplies ready. We have the details here, can't say over the phone," Clint said.

"I don't suppose there's a choice in this?" Lyra said with a smirk. She heard him laugh on the other end.

"Not really. See you tomorrow at nine," he said before hanging up.

Tony pouted as she placed her phone down. "You gotta go?"

"You knew it would come eventually. I'm surprised it lasted this long," she said with a laugh.

Tony nodded, stepping out of the boot. "Yeah, me too. You'll be working with Barfton?"

"Barton," she corrected with narrowed eyes as she grabbed his hand before it could wrap around her waist. "Be nice."

"I'm nice. I should get an award for how nice I am," Tony stated nonchalantly.

Lyra nodded. "Right." She kissed him. "Hack into the cameras again, I'll make you sleep on the couch."

"It's a comfortable couch," Tony replied. She rolled her eyes as she began to walk off. He laughed. "I know you're smiling."

She bit her lip to hide the smile.

Nick Fury watched from his spot behind his desk as Agent Redfield, Agent Barton, and Agent Coulson walked into the room. Lyra looked just like an agent in her dark clothing and badge hooked on her pants. She walked with confidence she seemed to lack before. He smirked to himself.

"Agent Redfield. No trouble on the way over?" Fury asked.

"No, sir," she answered as Coulson took a seat and Clint followed. She sat next to Clint, hand resting on the bracelet Tony had given her the day before with a small smile.

"Good," Fury said stiffly as he handed Clint a file. "You, Barton, and Rumlow are taking this mission." As the name was spoken, a man walked in with a small smirk on his face as he assessed the newest recruit. "Agent Rumlow is the leader of the S.T.R.I.K.E. team, and he will be there for extra caution as you and Barton take the lead."

Clint handed her the file, and she had already placed her glasses on her face to allow Jarvis a scan in case she needed it later. As her eyes scanned the words H.Y.D.R.A., she frowned.

"Hydra?" she asked.

"The no-no agency that no likes us," Clint said under his breath with a small laugh.

"Ah," she said before handing the file to Rumlow, but he denied it with a charming smile.

"Already read it, Agent Redfield."

She nodded and handed it back to Fury before he began to speak. "You get in and get out. We aren't trying to fight... we only want the intel on their nice computers. Fight only if necessary. Redfield, you'll go into their labs while Rumlow takes the main deck. Barton will keep watch, kill on sight if needed."

"Yes, sir," Rumlow said stiffly.

"Ready?" Clint asked as he stood. "Ever ridden in a Quinjet?"

She shook her head.

"Oh, you'll have a blast."

The next two months were the same. She was allowed on more missions after her first was success with only two casualties due to them guarding the room with the mainframe. Clint took care of them. Lyra hardly got to know Rumlow, but he seemed loyal enough to the organization so she did not question him.

Tony was acting more odd than normal, and then, it hit her. She realized he was trying to hide the toxins that were flowing through his body because of the palladium.

She was leaving for Malibu after her fifth mission, but she needed to talk to Fury. Knocking on his door, she was glad he was there to welcome her in.

"Shouldn't you be on your way home for the opening of the Stark Expo in New York, Agent Redfield?" Fury asked as he typed on his computer.

"You said before that you knew about Tony's condition with his heart and the palladium. Care to share so I can stop him from dying?" she asked, more like demanded.

Fury sighed, gesturing to the chair. "Take a seat. I have to explain something of importance to you."

She did as he asked, and she felt fear creep in her veins when Fury said, "You can do nothing until we say so. We have our own mission involving Tony Stark that you are not part of—" she was about to interrupt when he rose his hand. "—No. This is important that you stay out of it. We need Iron Man on our side. The only way to do that if to give him what he needs. Make him see we aren't the bad guys. Until we do so, you will do nothing."

"I can persuade him. Anything... I can't let him just die, sir!" she called angrily.

"You will obey orders. Get on your plane before you miss it," Fury stated with a frown. She did not move as she glared. "Agent, I won't say it again."

"If anything happens to him—"

"What will you do?"

She narrowed her eyes. "You'll not want to find out."

She stood and left with a slam of the door. This was the first time she felt any regret about joining S.H.I.E.L.D.

It would not be the last.