57 | capsicle

AS soon as Tony could, he had Lyra and himself transferred to Malibu to speak to doctors about a way to extract the Extremis from Lyra's body

AS soon as Tony could, he had Lyra and himself transferred to Malibu to speak to doctors about a way to extract the Extremis from Lyra's body. She was on edge as she felt her body heat up at times, but Tony was brilliant. Using the equation they found near Maya Hansen's body, Tony was able to do what he needed to do in order to get Lyra's body back to normal—as normal as it could be. After all, Tony did not want Lyra blowing up if she became too mad at him over something ridiculous.

As he was helping fix Lyra, he realized he should not stop there. Tony wanted to do something he had been scared to do for years, so he also spoke to the doctors about removing the shrapnel from his chest—thus, it would remove his need for an arc reactor. Rhodey held Lyra close as they watched the surgery take place with the shrapnel being forced to the reactor since it was hanging above his body like a magnetic force.

After the surgery, Tony had the idea to move back to New York of all places. He thought the Stark Tower—now finishing up with remodels—would be livable until the pair could figure out what the hell they wanted to do with their lives. Because of the Mandarin attacks, and Lyra almost dying, the pair realized their lives and the world were only getting weirder. They would need to buck up and be ready to defend it. Lyra and Tony began to sleep easier, both eating healthy amounts as the anxiety attacks became less and Jarvis did not have to take notes on how long they stayed awake anymore. It did not get rid of everything they had been through, but it was a step in the right direction.

Steve, of course, was delighted by the news. While they had met for coffee while Tony was spending the day with Bruce Banner, she told him everything because she needed someone to vent to. Steve listened intently, even though she could tell he was growing tired as the day went on. After she finished, he smirked at her.

"Do you feel better since that is off your chest?" he asked, watching her tap on her thigh, nervous of his response. She nodded. He reached over and squeezed her hand. "I'm glad. It seems like you've been through hell. Do you still have that Extremis stuff in you?"

Lyra shrugged. "They said they did everything they could with Tony's notes. I won't randomly blow up if I get too angry or emotional. Tony thinks I could still send fire blasts if I tried hard enough. That's not a door I need to be opened right now."

Steve laughed lightly. "Well, now that you guys are in New York, what does that mean for work?"

Lyra shrugged. "Not sure. Tony and I need to move in properly. We also have to visit Happy since he woke up yesterday. Tie a few loose ends before we make this move permanent for right now. What about you? What does Fury have you up to?"

Steve shrugged. "He has Romanoff and I doing some missions since Barton has been in and out of headquarters. Do you know where Barton disappears?

"Nope," Lyra lied with a smile. "Is Romanoff a good partner?"

"Sometimes. She likes to lead, but Fury has me leading the S.T.R.I.K.E team. Natasha is not very good with directions," he said with a smirk.

Lyra nodded. "You're working with Rumlow?" Steve nodded. "He was always shifty when we went on missions."

Steve shrugged. "He listens to directions. He's been no problem."

Lyra's phone rang, and she smiled down at Tony's name. She held up a finger to Steve as she answered it. "Hey, honey."

"You still with the Capsicle?" Tony asked. Steve rolled his eyes as he heard it loud and clear. "Anyway, no matter. Banner left, and I was wondering if you wanted to go get dinner. I can meet you somewhere?"

Lyra smiled. "Yeah, that sounds good."

"I'll drop you?" Steve offered.

"Steve said he'll drop me off," Lyra said, listening to Tony's groan on the other end. "Behave."

Tony laughed. "All right. Yeah. I'll text you an address when I decide where I want. Love you."

"Pick something good. Love you," she said as he ended the call. She grabbed Steve's hand when he offered her it to stand up. "Thanks for doing this."

Steve shrugged. "No big deal."

When they made it outside, she sighed at his motorbike—completely forgetting it existed. Nodding when he gestured for her to get on, she smiled tightly and did so. When the motorcycle revved up, she jumped at the sound. She held onto Steve's waist as he drove to where Tony sent her. When they got there, she smiled in thanks to Steve.

"Call me if you need something. I'll be back at work soon," she said as she saw Tony waiting with a smirk on his lips. He waved at Steve, laughing when Steve waved oddly back. He pulled off his sunglasses as he made it to the pair. "Hey," she whispered as he kissed her once.

"Thanks, Cap," Tony said, shaking his hand. "Good to see you."

"You, too, Stark," Steve said stiffly as he watched Tony wrap an arm around Lyra. He was about to walk away when he was called back by Tony. He furrowed his eyebrows when Tony whispered something in Lyra's ear. She waved once more before walking into the restaurant. "Everything okay?"

Tony nodded, his hands fidgeting a bit. "You know, I watched her die," he commented dryly. "She fell over 200 feet into a raging fire. Flames everywhere, you know? It was the worst experience I have ever felt." He shrugged. "I guess it's karma for going into a wormhole with a nuke on my back, yeah? We're even now with watching each other die—or almost."

Steve nodded, not even being able to fathom watching any of his friends die. He imagined it was horrible for Tony to tell him this since he was hardly an open person about his feelings. "I'm sorry that had to happen."

Tony nodded, scratching his neck. "You're her best friend beside Pepper. I mean she was close with Barton, but he's been gone often... you're there for her constantly. I am truly grateful for it," he said, stammering, "but anyway, I wanted to know your opinion on something."

"My opinion?" Steve asked, raising a brow at Tony's unorthodox behavior.

Tony pulled out two ring boxes. "I was with Rhodey and Pepper when I bought these. I couldn't decide. I know her like the back of my hand, but jewelry has never been her thing. Pepper said the right, Rhodey said the left. Which one do you think she'll like?"

Steve's eyes widened at the two very large and extravagant rings in front of him.

"Uh—I like the right."

Tony nodded. "Well, if Pepper and the Captain say right, I'll do the right. I guess I'll give the other as a Christmas gift one year, yeah?" He shoved them back into his pockets.

"Are you doing it tonight?" Steve asked incredulously. He pointed to the burger joint behind them. "Here?"

Tony grinned, eyeing the burger joint with a fond smile. "This was where we had our first date as an official couple." He shrugged. "I figured it would be sentimental. After everything she and I went through... We deserve a bit of happiness, wouldn't you say?"

Steve nodded, clapping his shoulder once. "You both definitely do. Good luck, Tony."

"Thanks, old man," Tony said with a smirk as he turned to walk off.