19 | nicholas j. fury

TONY kept his arm wrapped around Lyra as he led them up the pathway to their home in Malibu

TONY kept his arm wrapped around Lyra as he led them up the pathway to their home in Malibu. The flight was long—since he opened his big mouth, he had to go to Washington for press related issues. He could see Lyra's eyes drooping as the woman refused to have him go alone. Once again, he was in awe at how much he adored her. As they walked inside, Tony called, "Jarvis!" when he noticed an odd feeling and his door unlocked. Lyra woke up immediately from her half-asleep stance.

Jarvis was distorted as he replied, "Welcome home, sir." Jarvis cut out as Tony and Lyra made it to the sitting room where a man was waiting as he stared out the window.

"I am Iron Man. You think you're the only superhero in the world? Mr. Stark, you've become part of a bigger universe. You just don't know it yet," the man said as he turned. Lyra noticed one eye was covered with an eyepatch.

Tony stood in front of Lyra protectively. She reached from the knife she kept in her boot since she was attacked by Obadiah. "Who the hell are you?"

"Nick Fury, Director of S.H.I.E.L.D."

Tony relaxed as Lyra let the knife fall back in. Tony walked to the bar with an "Ah" leaving his lips at the name.

Fury glanced at the pair before saying, "I'm here to talk to you and Miss Redfield about the Avengers Initiative."

Tony took a seat as Fury pulled out a file that held an abundance of information about a S.H.I.E.L.D. idea that included Tony as Iron Man.

"What is this?" Tony asked.

"It's a group of highly trained individuals ready on command to work for us. You'll be saving more lives... it's something bigger than we even know yet," Fury said. "There's been talk of things happening that cannot be explained. We need you to help us put an end to the threats that loom over Earth."

Tony shook his head. "Not interested, Pirate. Sorry," he said as he stood. "I'm not letting my suit become government property."

"You realize how much we need you, Mr. Stark?" Fury said, standing as well, "but S.H.I.E.L.D. is not desperate; however, you'll be watched now. A toe out of line, we take the suit."

"Not listening! You're not getting my property!" Tony said as he tipped his glass of wine before heading toward his lab. Lyra sighed as he left. "Ly, make sure he leaves!" he called.

Fury sat back down, his good eye moving over Lyra's figure as her hands fidgeted.

"Why did you say you needed to talk to me?" Lyra asked quietly. "You said I would become apart of this? I have no suit. No powers. What good will I be?"

Fury smirked, seeing something flash in her eyes. "Let's talk about you, then, Miss Redfield. Your file states you grew up with Mr. Stark—close with Howard and Maria Stark before their deaths. Howard always did brag about you and Tony. You both graduated top of your class, and you worked for him when his father died. Friendship turned romantic in '02. Together for two years. Broken up since '04 after he cheated on you—big shocker. Your mother died in '03. Father in '08. This is when you saw Tony for the first time since, correct? You worked for Hammer Industries in order to make Tony jealous—backfired, didn't it? Hammer had you limited. Since then, you've been living here, doing odd jobs for Miss Potts and Mr. Stark, yes?"

Lyra stood to get herself a drink now. "I'm going to pretend my life was not that pathetic as you've listed," she said causing Fury to laugh. She sat back down, drinking quickly. "How the hell do you know all of that?"

Fury smirked. "S.H.I.E.L.D. can find information on anyone, but you were particularly easy. Howard had youand Tony filed together. Everything after he died was easy to find. I have your report cards, degrees, social security number, you name it... that's not important, Miss Redfield. What's important is that you need a job. You need something that will keep you stabilized. You can continue working for Tony and trying to fix whatever kind of relationship you both have, fine, or you can come work for me under my care—and still fix that relationship if it means that much to you."

She sent him a look.

"You'd still live here, but I'd send you on missions. These missions could range from days to weeks, but you'll always come home to Tony at the end of it if that's something you're worried about. It'll also give us an inside to make sure Tony doesn't end up killing others or himself. Coulson and Hill will be there to train you, along with Mr. Clint Barton. He's a favorite of mine... I think you'll like him," Fury finished and stood, picking up the folder but leaving out a card with his number on it.

"When you're ready, call me. I'll have someone set something up so we can discuss the details of your job. Hopefully, you agree. If Howard was right, you're going to be a wondrous addition to the team, Miss Redfield," he said before pressing a button to let Jarvis back on. "Thanks for your cooperation, Jarvis."

"I'm not sure I understand. You turned me off. There was no cooperation," Jarvis responded.

"Sarcasm, J," Lyra called with a laugh as Fury let himself out of the large mansion. "Jarvis, was Tony listening to my conversation with Mr. Fury?"

"He is waiting for you in the lab, Miss Redfield," Jarvis answered instead.