10 | cheeseburger

THE first month was full of determination

THE first month was full of determination. Lyra went to the office of Tony Stark every day. She spent hours in his office, taking calls and signing papers.

Tony Stark had told Pepper a while ago that Lyra was given full authority to make decisions regarding his industry due to the fact that she helped build it all those years ago when he was grieving the deaths of Howard and Maria Stark.

So Lyra was taking his place until the dust settled. She had Obadiah barking orders at her to do things and get notes ready for the lab workers. Pepper had her busy enough where she did not think about Tony much during the day.

One day toward the end of the first month, she had been trying to find a pen when she opened a drawer to find a framed photo of Tony and Lyra from college that had Lyra breakdown completely.

The second month, Lyra focused everything into Tony's lab at the Malibu mansion. She had gotten the company in order, giving Pepper full reign for the moment as she needed grieving time. She felt he was already gone and she had yet to make things right. She missed him; Fuck, she missed Tony. The house seemed too empty.

Jarvis tried to keep her company, especially when he programmed DUM-E to play chess with her while she drank away her sorrows.

The third month was the worst. She had completely shut down, never leaving the house unless it was for groceries—even then, she had Happy bring them to her if she could. She had began to sleep in Tony's bed, wearing his shirts as if it would help with the process. She stopped answering Obadiah and Pepper's calls. The only person she spoke to was Happy when he would come over early in the morning to make her get up and eat breakfast with him.

Rhodey had called her every week, telling her about the progress they made. She had to stop herself from cursing him out when he would hardly give any improvements.

She was sitting on the couch in Tony's black long-sleeve button up, watching the rain hit the window that showed the water below growing aggressive. She had a cup of wine in her hand, hardly moving. Jarvis had lit up on the wall next to her, pausing before speaking.

"Miss Potts is waiting outside for you."

Lyra did not respond, but she heard the door click open with a fast paced walk following being known by the rapid clicks of Pepper's heels. Pepper sighed at the sight of Lyra. She let a small smile cover her face when she caught her eye.

"They found him."

Lyra dropped her red wine when she jumped in fear. The red stained the white carpet, but she paid it no mind. "What?" her voice croaked.

"Get dressed. Come on," Pepper urged, taking her hand to yank her up from the couch.

Lyra tripped over her own feet as she ran to her room. She threw on a skirt and tucked in the button up as an afterthought. Throwing a jacket over herself, she slipped into black heels. She saw the rain letting up as the sun peaked through. She let out a slight laugh.

Hardly brushing her hair, she ran from the room. She saw Happy talking with a grin on his face to Pepper. Happy groaned when Lyra jumped into his arms with a squeal of delight. "He's alive!"

Pepper smiled lightly at her. "We should go."

Happy drove quickly to the California military base where Tony would be getting off with Rhodey. Lyra was bubbling over with excitement from the wine and the idea of seeing Tony again.

When Happy's tired screeched into the parking lot, the plane was just landing. There were men and women holding guns everywhere, making sure this was truly Tony Stark about to walk off the plane. There were some cameras, but Lyra did not care as she tore open the door to find him.

When she saw the doors to the plane open, there was Rhodey trying to get Tony in a wheelchair. Lyra grinned as tears fell from her eyes at the sight of him wearing a sling on one arm. His eyes searched until they landed on her, and he said something to Rhodey and pushed past him to limp over to the three waiting for him.

When Tony made it to stand in front of Lyra, he smirked. "Your eyes are red. Few tears for your long-lost lover?"

"Tears of joy, you asshole. I hated living alone," she whispered before pulling him in for a hug he was not expecting. He held her with his good arm before pushing her back.

He smiled at Pepper. "Missed me?"

"No. I'm just glad job-hunting is over."

"Nope, vacation's over," he corrected as they went to sit in the car. Pepper sat in the passenger seat while Lyra sat in the back with Tony.

"Where to, sir?" Happy asked, smiling as he spoke.

"Take us to the hospital, please, Happy," Pepper said quickly, noticing Tony's grimace of pain. Lyra placed a hand on Tony's thigh, just needing to feel he was there.

Tony replied quickly, "No."

"No? Tony, you have to go to the hospital," Lyra said softly, pulling her hand away.

"No is a complete answer."

Pepper rolled her eyes in annoyance already. "The doctor has to look at you."

"I don't have to do anything. I've been in captivity for three months. There are two things I want to do. I want an American cheeseburger, and the other—" Tony watched Pepper's eyes drift to Lyra.

"That's enough of that," Pepper cut him off.

Tony scoffed. "—is not what you think. I want you to call for a press conference now."

Pepper turned with wide eyes. "Call for a press conference?"

"Yeah."

"What on earth for?" Lyra asked with furrowed brows.

Tony reached over to grab her hand, seemingly the same with hardly believing he was seated next to her again. "Hogan, drive. Cheeseburger first."