91 | ferry welding

TONY stormed back inside the kitchen with a glare and a sliver of concern

TONY stormed back inside the kitchen with a glare and a sliver of concern. Lyra rose a brow, waiting for him to explain.

"He doesn't listen to directions!" Tony suddenly burst. He pointed to Charlotte. "Charlie listens better than Peter!" He pointed to Wanda and Pietro. "The criminals listen better!"

"Hey!" Pietro called before shrugging. "Okay, yeah."

Lyra stood up. "What's he doing?"

"Trying to be a hero. He's not ready for this, he's not," Tony said, care clearly in his voice. "I've gotta go make sure he's okay."

"Would you like me to come?"

"If Ross catches wind that you were there—"

"He'll try to arrest me again. What would it be? The seventh time?" Lyra said sarcastically. "Do you want me there or not?"

Tony hesitated. "J-Just to be there for him if he needs help. I don't want you fighting anyone. You said you're retired."

"And I am. I'm just taking care of my kids," Lyra said with a wink toward her three kids at the table. "Wanda? You're in charge."

Wanda nodded as Pietro looked offended. "I'm older!"

"Yes, but I trust her more. Stay inside!" Tony said as the pair ran upstairs. Lyra grabbed her bracelet with a sigh as Tony stuck on his arc reactor and pressed the button. The pair walked out of the house and took off.

"Friday, locate Spider Man suit," Tony said with a sigh.

"Located. Staten Island Ferry."

"Keep Ross away from the news. Keep Iron Princess off radar," Tony instructed. When they got to the boat that was falling apart, Lyra's eyes widened. "You go around. When I saw push, push!"

Lyra flew off at full thrusters. When she saw the ferry boat tearing in half with Peter in the middle trying to hold it together with his webs. She latched onto the boat, calling out, "Ready when you are!"

"Push!" Tony called.

Lyra and Tony pushed the ferry boat together.

"I'm going to go weld it. Stay pushing," Tony said. "Hi, Spider Man. Band practice, was it?"

"Uh, Mr. Stark? Hey, Mr. Stark. Could I do anything? What do you want me to do?" Peter called worriedly.

"I think you've done enough," Tony said. "All right, Lyra. Let go."

Lyra let out a deep breath, flying to Peter. She grabbed his arm. "Come on, kid. We can't be seen," she said. Peter held onto her as she took off to a random roof nearby while Tony took care of the media and PR shit that she had to stay out of.

When they landed, Lyra stepped out of the suit to sit next to him as he ripped off his mask.

"I'm sorry, Mrs. Stark."

"I know, kid," she whispered, letting him rest his head on her shoulder.

"Will you get in trouble?"

"They cant touch me," Lyra promised. "You, however, need to keep your mouth shut when Tony gets here."

Peter sighed. "He's mad?"

"Furious," Lyra whispered as she saw the Iron Man suit near them. She toyed with Peter's fingers as Tony landed with a loud thud.

"Previously on Peter Screws the Pooch: I tell you to stay away from this. Instead, you hacked a multimillion-dollar suit so you could sneak around behind my back doing the one thing I told you not to do," Tony said in a mocking tone.

"Is everyone okay?" Peter asked as he and Lyra stood.

"No thanks to you," Tony said.

Peter looked offended. "No thanks to me?" He approached the suit angrily. "Those weapons were out there, and I tried to tell you about it. But you didn't listen. None of this would've happened if you had just listened to me. If you even cared, you'd actually be here."

"Pete—"

Tony opened the suit, an angry glint in his eyes. Peter backed off as Tony marched toward him. "I did listen, kid. Who do you think called the FBI, huh? Do you know that I was the only one who believed in you? Everyone else said I was crazy to recruit a 14-year-old kid."

"I'm fifteen."

Tony grew angrier. "No, this is where you ZIP it, all right? The adult is talking. What if somebody had died tonight? Different story, right? 'Cause that's on you. And if you died, I feel like that's on me. I don't need that on my conscience."

"Yes, sir."

"Yes," Tony nodded, taking a deep breath. Lyra walked forward to stand in front of Peter.

"You need to know that you can't always do things on your own. Especially if someone already told you not to. We aren't your parents, fine, but Tony needed you to stay safe," she whispered in a more gentle tone. She felt Tony gently touch her back in thanks since she was taking his side.

Peter nodded. "I-I'm sorry."

"Sorry doesn't cut it."

"I understand. I just wanted to be like you," he said brokenly.

"And I wanted you to be better," Tony bit back. He shook his head as he sighed. "Okay, it's not working out. I'm gonna need the suit back."

"For how long?"

"Forever." Peter looked horrified. "Yeah. Yeah, that's how it works."

"No, no, no... Please, please, please—"

"Let's have it."

"You don't understand. Please. This is all I have. I'm nothing without this suit."

"If you're nothing without this suit, then you shouldn't have it. Okay? God, I sound like my dad," Tony said, looking at Lyra. "Do I?"

"No, you're all right," Lyra said with a twitch of her lips.

Peter looked down. "I don't have any other clothes."

Tony nodded. "Okay, we'll sort that out."