55 | extremis

"YES, Pep, I–I'm fine

"YES, Pep, I–I'm fine. I'm with a friend of Tony's right now. I'm safe," Lyra said, the words tasting bitter on her tongue.

"I want you to come stay with me until I know for sure you're safe," Pepper said seriously. "Tony could be—"

"He's not dead," Lyra whispered harshly, "but I don't know where he is. I have to go. Please, try and not worry about me."

"Yeah, sure," Pepper said sarcastically.

After Lyra got off the phone with Pepper, she noticed four missed calls that had her lips twitch into a smile. Clint, Natasha, Fury, and Steve—she decided to call Fury first.

"Do I need to personally come and kick Tony's ass for putting you in fucking danger?" Fury snarled. "You got out, I'm assuming?"

"Yeah," she whispered. "He's alive. I just don't know where he is. He's got some shit to figure out. I'm not going to look for him."

"Good choice," Fury said. "I can have Barton pick you up, bring you to the safe house."

Lyra shook her head. "No," she said quickly. "I have my own shit to figure out as well. I can't put the safe house in danger right now. I'll be all right."

"Call me immediately if something happens, understand?" Fury demanded.

"Yes, sir," she replied quickly.

"Now, call Barton and Rogers before one of them rips my head off," Fury said before ending the call.

Lyra took a breath, eyes going into the hotel room from the balcony window. Maya was sitting on the bed, eyes shut.

"Lyra?" Steve's voice called frantically. "Are you okay? Is Tony dead? Where are you? I can come find you—"

Lyra smiled softly. "I'm all right. I'm safe for the moment. He's alive."

Steve took a deep breath.

"I almost just booked a flight to Malibu," Steve said seriously.

Lyra smiled, leaning on the railing. "You would've, really?"

"Of course," he said. "What can I do to help?"

She shook her head. "Nothing, Cap. This is one for Tony and I to figure out."

"A-And the nightmares? Surely, this isn't helping," Steve said.

"It isn't, but I'll get through it. I have to call Clint, but I'll let you know if I need something," she promised.

"Yeah, you do that, please."

Her conversation with Clint went similar, except he was with Natasha and Laura, so the two women gave her a piece of their mind for not calling right away. She smiled at the family she had made by joining S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Avengers.