28 | stern senator

SENATOR Stern stared at the man with a scowl

SENATOR Stern stared at the man with a scowl. "Mr Stark, could we pick up now where we left off? Mr Stark. Please."

Tony turned around from where he was trying to talk to Lyra and Pepper. Lyra pointed to Stern with a glare as Pepper simply sighed to herself. "Yes dear?" Tony asked as the crowd chuckled. Pepper smacked Lyra's thigh when the agent snickered as well.

"Can I have your attention?"

"Absolutely," Tony nodded to Stern.

"Do you or do you not possess a specialised weapon?"

"I do not."

"You do not?"

Tony shrugged. "I do not. Well, it depends on how you define the word weapon."

"The Iron Man weapon," Stern amended.

"My device does not fit that description."

"Well—How would you describe it?"

"I would describe it by defining it as what it is, Senator."

Stern rose a brow. "As?"

"It's a high-tech prosthesis. That is—That is–That's actually the most apt description I can make of it."

Stern shook his head. "It's a weapon. It's a weapon, Mr Stark."

"Please, if your priority was actually the well-being of the American citizen—"

Stern grew angry. "My priority is to get the Iron Man weapon turned over to the people of the United States of America."

Lyra tapped her fingernails on her thigh as she watched Tony clench his jaw. "Well, you can forget it. I am Iron Man. The suit and I are one. To turn over the Iron Man suit would be to turn over myself which is tantamount to indentured servitude or prostitution, depending or what state you're in. You can't have it."

Stern sighed. "Look, I'm no expert—"

Tony smirked. "In prostitution? Of course not. You're a senator. Come on."

People around them begin to laugh. He waved at the crowd and eyed Lyra. Lyra rolled her eyes. He mouths "no?" and she shook her head.

"I'm no expert in weapons. We have somebody here who is an expert on weapons. I'd now like to call Justin Hammer, our current primary weapons contractor," Stern said as Hammer stood. Lyra's eyes widened as she saw her ex-boss beginning to stand.

Tony shook his head. "Let the record reflect that I observed Mr. Hammer entering the chamber, and I am wondering if and when any actual expert will also be in attendance." He paused, pointing backward with his thumb. "My girlfriend over there can attest to that."

Justin Hammer looked livid as his eyes met Lyra's, but he smiled tightly. "Absolutely. I'm no expert. I defer to you, Anthony. You're the wonder boy. Senator, if I may. I may well not be an expert, but you know who was the expert? Your dad. Howard Stark. Really a father to us all, and to the military-industrial age." Tony shook his head. "Let's just be clear, he was no flower child. He was a lion. We all know why we're here. In the last six months, Anthony Stark has created a sword with untold possibilities. And yet, he insists it's a shield. He asks us to trust him as we cower behind it. I wish I were comforted, Anthony, I really do. I'd love to leave my door unlocked when I leave the house, but this ain't Canada. You know, we live in a world of grave threats, threats that Mr Stark will not always be able to foresee. Thank you. God bless Iron Man. God bless America."