83 | outside the law

A large abandoned warehouse was where they had decided to lay low as they heard helicopters flying around outside

A large abandoned warehouse was where they had decided to lay low as they heard helicopters flying around outside. People were looking for them. She gulped, knowing now, she was considered a criminal. Would she see Charlotte again? Wanda? Pietro? She shook her head, knowing Bucky was still in there. An innocent life could be saved. That was all that mattered.

"You're going to be sent to jail by your husband. How's that fair?" Steve asked quietly.

"It's not. I wouldn't be here if I didn't want to be. I could've stayed back there, agreed to sign it to stay out of trouble."

"And Charlotte?"

"Pepper will watch her. She knows what's happening. She supports me. She always has supported me," Lyra whispered. "She's my best friend."

Steve nodded.

"And if my best friend was stuck in a German shit-hole and experimented on. Sucking her memories out... I'd want to help, too. Bucky deserves his chance to live," Lyra whispered.

Before Steve could answer, Sam called, "Hey, Cap!" Lyra and Steve jogged over to see Bucky waking up as his metal arm was in a machine to keep him at bay.

"Steve," Bucky called, eyes widening at the three people in front of him.

"Which Bucky am I talking to?"

Bucky smiled. "Your mom's name was Sarah. You used to wear newspapers in your shoes," he said with a chuckle.

Steve smirked. "Can't read that in a museum."

Sam eyed the pair. "Just like that, we're suppose to be cool?"

Bucky groaned. "What did I do?"

"Enough," Lyra said softly.

Bucky looked down. "Oh, God, I knew this would happen. Everything Hydra put inside me is still there. All he had to do was say the goddamn words."

"Who was he?"

"I don't know."

Steve shook his head. "People are dead. The bombing, the setup. The doctor did all that just to get 10 minutes with you. I need you to do better than 'I don't know.'"

Bucky furrowed his eyebrows. "He wanted to know about Siberia. Where I was kept. He wanted to know exactly where."

"Why would he need to know that?" Lyra asked.

Bucky looked at her. "Because I'm not the only Winter Soldier."

Lyra gulped, eyes meeting Sam's in fear. "Who were they?" Steve asked.

"Their most elite death squad. More kills than anyone in Hydra history. And that was before the serum."

"They all turn out like you?" Sam asked.