99 | to lose everything

Start from the beginning

Tony slid out and whipped his thrusters into full gear as he ramming Thanos's face again, cutting his cheek.

"All that for a drop of blood."

He smiled briefly before he punched Tony, sending him to the ground. He continued to punch him as Tony attempted to block the blows. Thanos finally picked him up by his helmet as he sent another blast of energy at Tony. Tony grunted as he was thrown to the side again as if he was a rodent that was bothering him.

"Tony!" Lyra called weakly, wanting nothing more than to help him in any way she could. She tried sending shots to Thanos, but he sent energy her way that had her scream when it hit her backward again.

Tony's helmet was backhanded off completely as he tried one last time to hurt Thanos by creating a sword. Before it made contact, Thanos snapped it from the suit and sent it into Tony's side.

Lyra stood shakily as tears left her eyes. She put her blasters on full blast, but as Thanos walked Tony back until he was sitting, Thanos locked eyes with her teary ones. "One move, I'll kill him then your insect, then you," he sang.

Lyra saw Tony shake his head. Lyra powered down as she watched Tony struggle to get the sword out.

"You have my respect, Stark. Both of you. When I'm done, half of humanity will still be alive. I hope they remember you," he said. Tony's mouth began to drip blood as he stared at Thanos worriedly as the Titan turned to stare at Lyra. She realized he planned to kill them anyway, so she powered back up, knowing she was going to die.

Before Thanos could send a final, killing blow her way, Strange yelled out, "Stop! Spare her life... and I will give you the stone."

Thanos turned to face Strange, pointing the stones at him. "No tricks." Strange shook his head.

Tony breathed heavily. "Don't—"

Lyra was about to try and fight him one last time, but Thanos flicked his wrist, sending her flying next to Tony. Tony immediately grabbed her hand to hold her back as she was about to get up again.

"We lost," he whispered.

Strange reached up and plucked the Time Stone out of its hiding place in the stars. He opened his hand allowing the Stone to float to Thanos's bare one. When the Stone was in place on the gauntlet, Thanos winced.

"One to go."

Quill suddenly began to scream as he ran forward straight at Thanos after he had woken up. Thanos did not look his way as he suddenly disappeared from the planet. Quill landed where the Titan once was, rolling several times as he missed. He stood and turned off his helmet. "Where is he!?"

Lyra used her suit to stitch up the stab wound once she pulled the sword out. "Hey, baby, hey. It'll be okay," she whispered throatily as she let the tears free fall. Tony shook his head as he breathed heavily.

"Did we just lose?" Quill gulped.

Tony glanced at Strange. "Why would you do that?"

"We're in the endgame now."

Lyra helped Tony stand as best as she could as she turned to see Peter running to them. The Starks made it out of their suits as he reached them. He wrapped his arms around Lyra as he said, "That was so scary."

"I'm sorry, kid," Tony said quietly.

Lyra pulled away as she looked at the remaining Guardians. "What do we do?" she asked. "Can we get back to Earth?"

The blue woman shook her head. "It's where he has gone if the last stone is there."

"Nebula's right," Quill said, eyes pained. "Why would we go there?"

"Because I have a family," Lyra said with narrowed eyes. "How fast could we get there?" she asked Nebula.

Nebula shook her head. "Not enough time."

Lyra kept her hand on Tony's face as she let it run to his hair in a comforting manner. She was at a loss at what to do. They would have to get to Earth. She would have to hope that Vision was hidden. She would have to hope that Steve got her message.

Her hope was short-lived, no matter how much she longed for everything to turn out okay.

They were quiet for a while, fixing wounds as best as they could, before Mantis began to whimper. "Something's happening," she cried as her body suddenly began to turn to ash. Quill reached out for her, but it was to go through her. She disappeared quickly as the wind took her away.

Lyra's eyes met Tony's frantically.

Next to Mantis, Drax began to disintegrate as well. Quill looked pained as Drax called, "Quill?"

Quill turned back to Tony as he started to lose his balance. Tony grabbed his shoulder, "Steady, Quill."

"Aw, man," Quill muttered as he disappeared as well.

Strange looked at Tony and Lyra. "Tony, there was no other way," he said calmly as he disappeared next with his eyes closed—peacefully and aware of what was happening as he had seen the future.

Lyra felt her heart clench when she heard Peter's scared voice. "Mrs. Stark? I don't feel so good—"

Lyra held onto Peter as he fell into her. His back was to her front as she held him. They both went to the ground as she tightened her hold on him as if it would save him. Tony fell onto his knees next to them. Peter reached up, grabbing onto Tony in a hug. "You're all right," Tony tried to say, but it came out as a whimper.

Peter's lip trembled as Lyra kept a shaky hand on top of his when he fell back on her again. "I don't know what's—I don't know what's happening. I don't—" Peter began to cry as Tony placed a hand on his face. "I don't wanna go, I don't wanna go, Mr. Stark, please. Please, I don't wanna go. I don't wanna go—" He took a deep breath as his hands began to turn to ash. "I'm sorry." Peter's body disappeared as Tony's hand was now rested on Lyra's chest.

Lyra felt it, and she knew it was coming.

It started in her toes—a faint buzzing. She could feel herself growing tired. She placed her hand on top of Tony's, intertwining their fingers. "Hey, baby," she said softly.

Tony's red eyes flickered to hers. "No. No! Don't you dare, Lyra Redfield! You hear me!" Tony yelled brokenly as tears fell on both of their faces. He looked around frantically.

She lifted her hand to touch his face as she felt her insides begin to fizz like energy. "It's okay, Tony. Look at me," she called softly. His eyes shot to hers as pain was evident. "Take care of Charlotte, okay?"

"Lyra," he breathed. "Please, don't go. I need you, Lyra. Charlotte needs you. You can't go."

Her hand began to fade from his face.

"He may erase me from the universe, but you won't let me be forgotten, okay? Get home to our baby girl. Tell her I'm sorry," she whispered. "I love you, Anthony Stark."

"Lyra, I love—" her eyes stayed on his as she disappeared from underneath him. Her ashes flew away as Tony reached for them. "LYRA!? LYRA, come back right now!"

Tony's eyes looked around, expecting to be alone. He met Nebula's sad ones.

"He did it," Nebula whispered, still remaining alive as she stared at Tony. "He won."