53 | nightmares

WHEN Lyra managed to get home after almost falling asleep at the wheel, she let out a deep sigh at the large stuffed rabbit that stood outside the house

WHEN Lyra managed to get home after almost falling asleep at the wheel, she let out a deep sigh at the large stuffed rabbit that stood outside the house. She took another deep breath as she leaned her head on the steering wheel.

"Thanks for getting me home, Jarvis," Lyra murmured.

"You are on hour 83 with no sleep," Jarvis commented light. "Hour 26 of no food. I must insist you take care of yourself before I inform Mr. Stark."

"Jarvis," she warned.

"You almost killed yourself and a family of five on the interstate," he commented dryly.

"I already thanked you. I won't do it again," she teased as she grabbed her purse. Stepping out of the car, she readjusted her glasses as she passed the large rabbit.

Lyra stepped inside to see an Iron Man suit sitting on her couch. "I'm sorry I'm didn't come home last night. I'm sorry I'm late... I was... What is that?" she asked referring to the suit when it clicked in her brain. She rubbed her forehead. "You're wearing this in the house now? What is that, like Mark 15?" She placed her purse on the counter as she passed.

"Uh—yeah. Something like that. You know everybody needs a hobby," Tony answered.

"Oh, and you have to wear your hobby in the living room?" Lyra called tiredly as she walked toward him. She paused when he stood abruptly to meet her.

"Just breakin' it in. You know, it's always a little pinchy in the gooey bag at first, so," he said as he wiggled his butt. She let out a breathy laugh. "Oh hey, did you see your Christmas present?"

Lyra nodded, gesturing toward the door. "Yes, I did. I–I don't know how I could have missed that Christmas present. Is it gonna fit through the door?"

"Well actually, uh–it's a good question. I got a team of guys comin' tomorrow, they're gonna blow out that wall," Tony said, pointing the wall behind them.

"Okay," Lyra said, taking a seat on the couch.

He walked behind her, placing his hands on her shoulders. "So, uh–tense? Good day? Ooh shoulders, a little knotty. Naughty girl. I don't wanna harp on this, but did you like the custom rabbit?" Lyra rolled her shoulders back to push his hands off of her.

"Did I like it?" she repeated, not knowing what to say.

"Nailed it, right?"

Lyra stood to face him. "I appreciate the thought very much." She placed her hands on his helmet. "So why don't you lift up that face mask and give me a kiss?"

Tony tapped the helmet twice. "Huh. Yup, dammit. No can do. You wanna just kiss it on the–"

"Uh-huh," she said, noticing the familiar hollow sound of the empty suit. She bit her lip.

"—the facial slit?"

Lyra tapped his chest once. "Well, why don't I run down to the garage and see if I can't find a crowbar to shimmy that thing open?" She backed away.