35 | battle of the expo

Start from the beginning

"I'll take care of that. You make sure no casualties." She left without an answer. Pepper dialed a number on her phone.

Pepper spoke quickly, "I need NYPD, please."

"No, no, no!" Hammer yelled, but Lyra opened a gun on her shoulder to point it at him. "God, you and Stark are two of a kind."

"Command Central," Pepper said in the phone.

"No, no, honey. Don't call the authorities," Hammer pleaded.

"Don't call her that," Lyra seethed.

"Okay. Right away. Right away," she hanged up and looked at Justin and the technician man. "Step aside. Step aside. Tell me everything you know. Go."

The man nodded and typed something. "Each set of drone is communicating in its own unique language."

"Well, choose one and focus on that," Lyra said sternly.

"Have you tried Russian? Why don't you try Russian?" Hammer asked.

Lyra shrugged as she flicked her helmet back on. "I'm going to make sure the drones are not attacking the people. Get out as soon as possible."

As Lyra flew out, she caught sight of some of the drones leaving and aiming for her. It had been a few minutes of her flying and dodging bullets as she directed people out of the Expo when Natasha, Pepper, and Tony's voices could be heard.

"Reboot complete. You got your best friend back," Natasha stated.

"Thank you very much, Agent Romanoff," Tony said sincerely.

"Well done on the new chest piece. I am reading significant higher output and your vitals all look promising," Natasha said with a smirk. Lyra flew around the area to see the drones stopped and planting themselves down.

"Yes, for the moment, I'm not dying. Thank you."

"What do you mean you're not dying? Did you just say you're dying?" Pepper asked with a frightened tone.

Tony let out a chuckle then grunted as if he was in pain. "No, I'm not. Not anymore."

"What's going on?"

"I was going to tell you. I didn't want to alarm you. Lyra was taking care of it... or she was, but—"

"You were gonna tell me? You really were dying?"

"Hey! I was not allowed to help you. I tried!" Lyra retorted angrily.

"You knew?" Pepper called with hurt in her tone. "Why didn't you tell me that?"

Lyra growled out as she was hit with a bullet. "I was gonna make you an omelette and tell you!" she said to Pepper.

Natasha laughed. "Hey, hey. Save it for the honeymoon. You got incoming Tony. Looks like the fight's coming to you."

"Great. Pepper? Lyra?"

"Are you okay now?" Pepper asked.

"I am fine. Don't be mad. I will formally apologise—"

"I am mad!"

"—when I'm not fending off a Hammeroid attack!"

"Fine," Pepper snarled out. "I want an apology from you, too, Lyra!"

"Fine!"

"We could have been in Venice, Ly," Tony sang.

"Oh, please," Lyra grumbled as she flew around the Expo. "Where do you want me, Tone?"

"Get Pepper out of there. Stay safe. Rhodey and I got this."

Lyra flew until she felt herself be blown to the ground by a drone. She hit a wall and bounced off, the metal clanking loudly against the ground. "Hey, Pep? Where are you?"