27 | expo marshals

Start from the beginning

Howard Stark appeared on the screen causing Lyra's heart to clench. She knew Tony and Howard's relationship was strained, but she did miss him and Maria endlessly.

"Everything is achievable through technology. Better living, robust health, and for the first time in human history, the possibility of world peace. So, from all of us here at Stark Industries, I would like to personally introduce you to the City of the Future. Technology holds infinite possibilities for mankind, and will one day rid society of all its ills. Soon technology will affect the way you live your life every day. No more tedious work, leaving more time for leisure activities and enjoying the sweet life. The Stark Expo. Welcome."

Tony had pulled something out of his pocket at his walked off stage. Lyra made her way to him, and she noticed the small machine that said Blood Toxicity: 19%. She wanted to do something to help him, but the answers lied in Fury's lap. She could do nothing until Fury gave them up. When she neared him, she wrapped her arms around his waist.

"You did wonderful," she said instead of the words of comfort she wanted to say.

He grabbed her hands lightly before letting them go and wrapping an arm around her shoulder. "Yeah," he muttered.

As it was time to leave for the night, Happy kept a close eye on the couple. "Make sure you join me," he said seriously.

Tony nodded, looking down to Lyra. "All right, it's a zoo out there, watch out. They'll all know about us after this."

"I know," she whispered.

Happy pushed the door. "Open up, let's go."

It was terrible trying to push through all of the crowds screaming his name.

"Hey, nice to see you. All right. Thank you. I remember you," he said without care as he kept a close arm around Lyra.

"Tony, Tony!"

"Hey, hey," he waved with his other hand as Happy pushed people.

"Call me!" a woman said as she eyed Lyra with distaste.

Tony shook his head. "No. I got my girlfriend right here!" he said loudly causing more of an uproar.

"Hey, hey, hey, hey. Come on, come on," Happy said, grabbing Lyra's other hand so she did not get lost. She knew she would be okay without it, but it made her smile at the thoughtfulness of it.

Tony saw a kid with an Iron Man mask and a picture. He paused to sign it with a smile when they asked. "Hello. It would be a pleasure." He knocked on the kid's mask instead because he could not ruffle his hair. "See you buddy"

Happy pointed to a man. "This is Larry."

Tony waved. "Hey, the oracle of Oracle. What a pleasure. Nice to see you."

"Call me. Call me!"

"Larry King," Happy said quickly.

Tony smirked. "Larry! Larry. Yes, my people, my people."

Happy finally got them out the other door to the outside world. Lyra took a deep breath. "Come on, Tony. There we go."

"Very mellow," Lyra said softly.

Happy nodded. "That wasn't so bad."

"No, it was perfect," Tony said, squeezing her hand.

Happy gestured to the car ahead of them. "Look what we got here, the new model."

Lyra saw the woman leaning against the car, and a scowl formed on her face. "Hey, does she come with the car?" Tony teased, squeezing Lyra's waist as he kissed her forehead.

"I certainly hope so. Hi," Happy said as he opened the door for Lyra and Tony.

Tony helped Lyra into the back before glancing at Happy to the driver's seat. "Hi. And you are?"

"Marshal," she replied, glancing at Lyra.

Tony nodded. "Irish. I like it."

Marshal nodded. "Pleased to meet you Tony."

Tony pointed to the driver's seat before hopping in and starting the car. "I'm on the wheel. Do you mind? Where you from?"

Marshal looked annoyed. "Bedford."

"What are you doing here?" Lyra finally bit out.

"Looking for Tony," she said with a smirk.

Tony scoffed. "Yeah? You found me. Why?"

Marshal held a paper toward him. "Serving subpoenas." Tony eyed the letter but didn't take it.

Tony looked at Lyra. "Yikes."

Happy reached over and took the letter. "He doesn't like to be handed things."

"Yeah, I have a peeve."

Marshal eyed him oddly. "I got it. You are hereby ordered to appear before the Senate Armed Services Committee tomorrow morning at 9 am."

Lyra narrowed her eyes. "Can I see a badge?"

"You wanna see the badge?" Marshal taunted.

"They like the badge," Happy said, shrugging his shoulders half-heartedly.

"You still like it?" she asked the woman with fierce eyes as she showed them the badge.

"Yep," Tony said as he turned to Lyra. "How far are we from D.C.?"

Lyra sighed. "D.C.? 250 miles."

Tony waved half-heartedly at the woman before zooming off. Lyra scowled to herself as she leaned back to stare at the night sky.

Tony turned a moment before glancing back at the road. "Don't worry, Ly. I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm Tony Stark."