Tarrant 'Mad Hatter' Hightopp #6

Imagine you're stuck in a pit and Mad Hatter comes to your rescue.

Panting and panicking, you were running through the forest trying to get away from the Knave and the Red Queen's army of playing-card shaped, Red Armored Card Guards. You were playing Hide-N-Seek in the forest with your best friend, Tarrant Hightopp, also known as 'Hatter' to you and everyone else in Underland, where you accidentally went further into the forest to find a hiding spot while Hatter was counting. Once you found a hiding spot behind a tree, unaware that it was close to the Red Queen's castle, you heard heavy footsteps marching from behind you. When you turned around and saw who it was, you didn't hesitate to run off into the forest.

You've been running for quite awhile and your legs were beginning to feel tired. Turning your head around, you looked to see if the Knave and the Guards were catching up to you, which they were. But without looking what was in front of your view, you, suddenly, fell into a deep pit, with you yelling on the way down. You hit hard when you landed on the bottom and winced in pain, without being injured.

Once the pain was going away, you looked up to see the Knave and the Red Guards surrounding the top of the pit. The Knave seemed rather disappointed that he didn't capture you, at first, but, then, his expression changed to satisfaction. "Should we get her out of there, sir?" A Red Guard asked. The Knave shook his head and said, coldly, "No. Leave her down there. Let her starve to death since there's no one around to save her." He, then, turned around and walked away, with the Red Guards following behind him.

After they left, you started to hyperventilate as you were feeling claustrophobic from the small space surrounding you in the pit. It was so high up to reach the top, there was no way to climb out on your own. The only option you could do was yell out, "Help! Somebody help me! I'm stuck in a pit! I can't get out! Help me!" But no matter how many times you tried or yell as you could for the next few minutes, no one came to your rescue. Your chest felt like it was getting tightened due to your fear of being trapped in a small space and tears were beginning to form in your (e/c) eyes. You fell on your knees, with the tears running down your cheeks, and whimpered, "Please. Somebody help me."

"(y/n)!" You perked your head up when you heard a familiar voice calling out your name. It was Hatter. "(y/n), where are you?" You heard him call out again. "Hatter! I'm in here! Help me!" You yelled. Then, within seconds, you saw Hatter appear at the top of the pit. "(y/n), what are you doing there? I've been looking everywhere for you. You definitely chose a very good hiding spot." He said. "I didn't choose this as my hiding spot, Hatter. I was chased by the Knave and the Red Queen's Guards and I fell down in here." You explained.

"Oh, dear me. Did you try climbing out, sweetheart?" Hatter asked. "It's too deep. I can't get out. I'm trapped and being in here is making me feel claustrophobic." You said. Hatter stared down at you, worried. You and Hatter have been best friends since childhood and he hated seeing you in trouble as he could tell you were scared being trapped in the the pit. "I'll get you out of there, (y/n). Let me look for something that could help. I'll be right back." Hatter said. "Oh, please, hurry, Hatter. I don't know much longer I can handle being in here." You said, desperately, trying be calm as best as you could. He nodded and ran off to find the closest object nearby that could be useful for getting you out.

Hatter looked all over the area as quick as he could to find something, but so far he wasn't successful. You kept looking at the top of the pit as a way to calm yourself as you were, patiently, waiting for Hatter to come back. All you kept hoping was that he wasn't gonna be gone too long.

Then, Hatter appeared, with a long tree branch in his hands. "Grab onto this, (y/n)." He said, as he lowered the branch down towards you, while he held onto the end of it. You were confused on why he chose a tree branch to help you out since it could possibly break, but you didn't want to argue since it's part of Hatter's personality to find something creative, even when it came to making hats and helping you out when you're in trouble. You grabbed onto the branch and called out, "I got it, Hatter."

After you said that, Hatter started pulling the branch up and you had a tight grip on it as you were being lifted off the ground, slightly. But, then, as you had predicted, the branch snapped in half and you fell back on the ground, with Hatter falling backwards from the top. "That certainly didn't work." You heard Hatter say, which bummed you out since you were beginning to feel claustrophobic once again since you're still trapped. You kept thinking you were gonna be stuck in the pit forever.

But, then, you heard Hatter exclaim, "Wait a second! Why didn't I think about this? Here, (y/n)! Grab onto this!" After he said that, he appeared in your view and started pulling something out of his sleeve and lowered it down to you like a rope. You recognized what it was once it was in front of you; it was leftover fabric Hatter would always keep and tie it up together after he was done making hats. You grabbed onto the tied up fabric rope, wrapped part it around your arm, and you held onto it. "I'm ready, Hatter." "Alright, (y/n). Hold on." Hatter said, and, then, he walked backwards as he began to pull onto the tied up fabric rope. You were being lifted off the ground and this time, you were getting close to the top.

As soon as you reached the top and felt the grass under your feet, Hatter pulled the rope so hard to make sure you out, he fell backwards onto the grass, with you falling on top of him. Once you felt Hatter against you, without hesitation, you immediately wrapped your arms around him and held onto him for dear life before you cried against his chest. Hatter sat up when he heard you crying and he wrapped his arms around you and rocked you back and forth to comfort you. "Shh. You're okay, sweetheart. Don't cry. You're safe now." He spoke, softly, by your ear, as he ran his fingers through your (h/l) (h/c) hair and kiss your temple.

Hearing Hatter speak and feeling his fingers through your hair was very comforting to you and you were very thankful for him not only saving your life, but to have him in your life. You took deep breaths and looked up at him. "Thank you for pulling me out of the pit, Hatter. I was so scared that I was never gonna get out of there." You said. "Of course, my dear (y/n). I hate to see you scared." Hatter said. "I mean, I guess it's better to be in there than having to face the Knave and the Red Guards." You stated. "And have your head off by the Red Queen." Hatter added. You nodded in agreement.

"Do you feel better, (y/n)?" Hatter asked. "A little. Even though I'm in your arms, I still feel like I'm still trapped in the pit." You answered. Hatter didn't say anything for a moment as he was deep in thought until he spoke again. "Maybe I can help you with that." He said, and, then, he placed two fingers under your chin before he leaned down and pressed his lips against yours. You were in complete shock at first, but it actually felt wonderful since you recently developed feelings towards him. You kissed him back as you weren't feeling scared or trapped anymore. Instead, you were happy to kiss your best friend.

Moments later, Hatter pulled away from the kiss and stared into your (e/c) eyes, while you looked into his now blush pink colored eyes. "Feel better, sweetheart?" He asked. You smiled and responded, "Much better, thanks to you, Hatter." Once you said that, Hatter smiled and stood up with you. "Well, then, now that you are better, why don't we end our Hide-N-Seek game and head back home and have a cup of tea together instead?" He asked. "I would love that a lot. Let's head home." You said back, and, then, the two of you, hand-in-hand, walked through the forest to head back home.