Barnabas Collins #7

Imagine you're a vampire and you meet Barnabas Collins.

*Requested by DarlingOfMirkwood*

In 1942, you served in the Armed Forces during World War II, where you were critically wounded after you and other soldiers were attacked by an enemy bomber aircraft. You were close to the impact where you were badly burnt and close to death. But before your life was about to end, you were encountered by a soldier, who turned out to be a vampire. He kneeled down next to you and he bit the side of your neck. Afterwards, he immediately ran off and left you screaming in excruciating pain from the venom that was transforming you into a vampire.

Once the venom had healed your wounds and stopped your beating heart, you completely turned into a vampire and started a new life as your immortal self. You ran off and went back to your hometown, unseen by anyone who you knew closely, and found out in the newspaper that you were presumed 'missing in action' from where you were attacked. Afterwards, you left your hometown to avoid anyone noticing you and your new appearance. You started going into different towns, using a different name than your real one, working odd jobs, and looking for any source of blood to help gain your strength each month. Once that happens, you leave the town you stayed in to avoid suspicions of you not aging and the mysterious 'blood sucking' attacks and looked for a new location, under a new name.

After thirty years of hiding, you decided to settle in a little town called 'Collinsport'. You found a job advertisement in the local newspaper for the governess position for the Collins family. You packed all of your belongings and traveled to the family grand estate, Collinwood, where you were interviewed by Elizabeth Collins, the family matriarch. You used your real name this time after three decades of not using it since there was no possible speculation of the family knowing about your past. After you answered some questions, Elizabeth hired you as the family governess for her daughter, Carolyn, and her nephew, David.

Working as the new governess for the family for the next few weeks has been a joy to you since you rarely ever stayed at a certain job for a long period of time and you got along with everyone, except for Roger, Elizabeth's 'ne'er-do-well' brother and David's father, who a couple of times tried to flirt with you, in an uncomfortable manner, which got to the point of keeping your distance from him. Even living with the family, you still kept your life as a vampire a secret and acted like normal human being. No one, not even Dr. Julia Hoffman, the family psychiatrist, questioned you about your pale skin and why you didn't eat with the family. Whenever the thirst for blood got the best of you, the only way to do it without the family knowing was sneaking out at night and look for someone to sink your teeth in.

Even though you finally settled into someplace where you felt like it was home, you felt like there was something else missing in your life that came across your mind. Being a vampire and being on your own for three decades was fun while it lasted, but it was rather lonely for you at the same time. Even when you have, briefly, made friends with people that you have worked with through the years, you still felt that you wanted to be with someone for the rest of your eternal life. Like a companion or even a mate.

***

It was late in the evening as you finished reviewing David and Carolyn's homework that you have given to them earlier during their private tutoring sessions with you to see how they were doing with their academic work with a certain subject you taught earlier with them. You walked out of your bedroom and headed to the living room, where the children were lounging, to let them know that it was time for bed as Elizabeth requested for you to do every night. But as you were getting closer to the staircase, you heard an unfamiliar voice speaking down below in the living room. You walked down the stairs, slowly, curious to know who it was.