Gator Lerner #1

Imagine you saying goodbye to your fiancé, Gator Lerner, when he leaves to fight in Vietnam.

(A/N: Since Johnny Depp's character, Gator Lerner, didn't have a lot of screen time in the film, 'Platoon', I thought it'd be nice to recognize him more with this short story. Also, Happy Independence Day!)

1967.

You were at the airport with your fiancé, Gator Lerner, who was leaving the United States to fight in the Vietnam War. It was heartbreaking for you because you were worried that something bad was gonna happen to him while he's down there. He recently proposed to you after dating for two years. You and him were getting started on making the wedding plans when he received a letter that he was being deployed to Vietnam.

Before he followed the other soldiers to the military helicopter, Gator embraced you in a tight, but gentle hug. Tears were starting to form in your eyes as you rested your head on his shoulder. "I wish you weren't leaving, Gator. I have this bad feeling that something bad is gonna happen to you." You said, sniffling a bit, with the tears running down your cheeks. "I wish I wasn't leaving you either, (y/n), but they need me to fight in Vietnam. They also need a translator as well. Nothing bad is gonna happen, sweetheart." Gator said, in a soothing voice, by your ear. "But why do I still have that feeling that I'm never gonna see you again?" You said, with more tears falling down. "Shh. You'll see me again soon, baby. I don't know when, but I'll come home soon to have you in my arms again." He said, and, then, he placed a lingering kiss on your temple.

Moments later, you both pulled away from the hug and Gator wiped the tears off your face with his thumb and, then, he rested his hand on your cheek. "No matter what happens, I'll always think about you while I'm in Vietnam, (y/n). Not only am I fighting this war for my country, but I'm also doing it for you." He said, with a smile. You smiled after he said those kind words to you. Then, he looked down at your engagement ring before glancing up at you again. "When I come back, we're gonna get married and we're gonna be together for the rest of our lives." He said. You nodded and said, "That's right. Together and forever." Gator smiled and, then, he leaned forward and placed a kiss on your forehead.

But the tears kept coming back, which Gator noticed so he pulled you into another hug. He rubbed your back for a bit until he stopped and spoke, softly, in your ear, "Always think of me, (y/n). You don't just have my love, but you also have my heart no matter what if anything does happen to me. Remember that, okay?" You nodded. "Okay." You whispered.

Then, you both heard a sergeant calling Gator's last name to have him come aboard the military helicopter. "I gotta go, (y/n)." Gator said, and, then, you both pulled away from the hug. You wiped the tears off your face and said, "Don't let the other men tease your name. It's unique." He chuckled and said, "I won't let them. But if they do, I'll just tell them to call me 'Lerner' instead." You chuckled.

There was a short pause for a couple of seconds until you spoke again. "I love you, Gator." You said. He smiled down at you and said back, "I love you too, (y/n)." Then, he leaned down and pressed his lips against yours. You closed your eyes as you kissed him back immediately. You wanted the kiss to last forever, but you knew he had to leave with other soldiers. Moments later, you both pulled away from the kiss and, then, Gator grabbed his military bag and said, "Goodbye, (y/n)." Then, he put his hand on your cheek for a second before he walked off. You stood there with a sad expression on your face as you watched him walk towards the military helicopter.

But, then, Gator stopped and turned around to face you. He smiled and waved 'goodbye' to you. You waved back at him before he turned back around and proceeded to the military helicopter. While Gator wasn't looking, you took your hand and you blew a kiss towards him. "I love you, Gator Lerner." You said, softly, as you watched him board onto the military helicopter and a soldier closed the door. The helicopter propellers started to spin and it started rising off the ground, and, then, it flew away to its destination. "Be safe." You whispered, while a single tear fell down your cheek, as the helicopter was at a far away distance.