Gilbert Grape #4

Imagine you meeting Gilbert Grape, who offers to show you around Endora.

*Requested by Oulaladepp*

Three days ago, you and your father moved to Endora, Iowa, after your father got a job as the new deputy sheriff at the Endora police station. After your mother passed away from a tragic car accident three months ago, your father decided to move somewhere else to start a new life in a small town. It was hard to move from your hometown and leave your friends, but you didn't mind moving to a small town and you wanted to be there with your father for support.

***

Since the day you and your father moved to Endora, you've been focused on unpacking boxes and organizing everything around the new house, you didn't get the chance to see the whole town of Endora. Your father described to you that it seemed a lot different from where you both previously lived and it seemed boring because he didn't see many people outside and there weren't many places. But you wanted to see for yourself of what Endora looked like from your perspective and you also want to meet some new people. After you unpacked the last box, you decided to get out of the house and check out the small town for yourself. You grabbed your bicycle and you pedaled your way to the small Endora town.

When you got into town, you came across a small grocery store and you thought you could pick up a couple of groceries to make dinner later on. You got off your bicycle, walked it over to a bike rack, and parked it before you walked inside the grocery store. Once you were inside, you noticed there weren't many people inside the grocery store as you expected and you noticed a mentally challenged teenage boy sitting on the counter, looking at a jar that was filled with grasshoppers. You thought it was cute when he was looking at it, excitedly. You grabbed a grocery basket and you started walking around looking for any needed groceries.

As you were walking down an aisle, you saw a man with long, shoulder-length light golden brown hair, sweeping the floors. You stared at him for a moment, taking a good look at his face. He seemed a bit gloomy and exhausted, but he was still good-looking. 'Wow. He's cute.' You thought to yourself. Then, you shook your head and proceeded back to picking up groceries. The last item you needed to find was marinara sauce so you could make spaghetti for dinner tonight. You decided to approach the man and ask him where you could find it. "Excuse me?" You spoke to get his attention. He stopped sweeping and he turned to you. "Yes?" He asked. "Do you know where I can find some marinara sauce?" You asked, as you stared into his dark brown eyes. "It's on the next aisle." He answered, pointing to the direction. "Thank you, sir." You said, and, then, you walked passed him, heading towards the end of the aisle.

"Wait." You heard the man say from behind you, making you stop in your tracks. You turned around and faced him. "Yeah?" "Are you new here?" He asked, curiously. You nodded and said, as you approached him, slowly, "Yeah. My dad and I moved here three days ago. How'd you know?" "We typically don't get many customers here because everyone else shops at Foodland and we recognize those that come here all the time." He explained. "Huh. Interesting." You said. "Do you like it here in Endora so far?" He asked. You shrugged your shoulders and said, "I haven't seen much of Endora since my dad and I moved here. He's busy with work and I thought I could ride my bike around town to see more of it."

"Oh, um, how about I give you a ride around town and show you more of what Endora looks like? Plus, I hate for you to carry your groceries on your bike." He offered. You were surprised that this man that you barely know was offering to show you around town and get to know it. But you didn't want to be rude and turn down his offer. He also had a good point about riding your bicycle home with your groceries; there's not enough room in your basket that's on your bicycle. You nodded and answered, "Sure. I would like that a lot." He smiled a little bit and he held his hand out towards you. "I'm Gilbert, by the way. Gilbert Grape." He introduced himself. "I'm (y/n) (y/l/n). It's very nice to meet you, Gilbert." You introduced yourself, as you took his hand and shook it. "And that's my little brother, Arnie." Gilbert said, gesturing to the teenage boy sitting on the counter with the jar full of grasshoppers. You smiled and did a little wave at Arnie.