Gilbert Grape #6

Imagine you're friends with Gilbert Grape and you get angry at him after he hits his little brother, Arnie.

*Requested by okdanmaardit*

You've been close friends with Gilbert Grape since high school when you both started working at Lamson's Grocery in the small town, Endora. You've known him since elementary school, but you never spoke to him until you were in high school and you both were hired at Lamson's at the same time. You and Gilbert got to know each other whenever you both worked together and whenever you both were on your break.

After that, you and Gilbert became very close friends and you became his first friend since he didn't have any. You got to meet Gilbert's family, even though you've noticed that he wasn't happy about it, and you thought they were very nice, despite his little sister, Ellen's, attitude and they accepted you into the family. Although your parents didn't like the idea of you hanging out with Gilbert Grape and his family because they saw them as a dysfunctional family, you still hung out with Gilbert and his family no matter how different they are from everyone else.

***

Tomorrow's a special day for Gilbert's mentally challenged little brother, Arnie. It's his eighteenth Birthday. You volunteered to help the Grape Family set up for tomorrow's party since it's been very stressful for the family to get everything set up. Arnie won't take a bath because Gilbert left him in the bathtub all night and it triggered Arnie's aqua-phobia and Gilbert's mother, Bonnie, doesn't want to participate in the party because she doesn't want to be laughed at by the everyone who's invited because of her obesity. Arnie ruined his Birthday cake after he ran into his older sister, Amy, who had made the cake, and Gilbert had no choice but to purchased an almost twenty dollar cake from Foodland, the one grocery store you and Gilbert never wanted to go to that could threaten your jobs at Lamson's.

You were in the living room with Gilbert and the family setting up the decorations for the party. Gilbert was blowing balloons, Ellen, Amy, and Bonnie were decorating the Birthday banner, and you were making color chains out of construction paper, while Arnie was somewhere else. Your thoughts were interrupted when Gilbert popped a balloon, which got everyone's attention. "Seriously, Gilbert." You said, annoyed. "Arnie!" You heard Ellen exclaim. You were confused on why she said his name until you turned to the kitchen and saw Arnie, with frosting on his lips and fingers. That's when you realized he was eating the Birthday cake. "He's eating the cake!" Ellen said. "That's it. Forget it." Amy said, sounding she was giving up on the Birthday cake since another one was ruined. Arnie, then, ran to the front door.

"Arnie!" You heard Gilbert say, sounding frustrated, and, then, you saw him chase Arnie outside. You've never seen him act like that, but you could understand why because the cake was expensive. But you had a feeling he wasn't gonna handle the situation with Arnie, nicely. Gilbert came in, carrying Arnie over his shoulder, and he took his little brother upstairs to the bathroom. "No bath, Gilbert." Arnie said, giggling. "Come on, Arnie!" Gilbert said, sounding angry. Once they both reached the top of the stairs, you could hear Gilbert shouting and some pounding, which made you concerned for Arnie.

You got up from the chair you were sitting in and went upstairs to check to see if everything was alright. When you got to the bathroom, your (e/c) eyes widened and you gasped in complete shock when you saw Gilbert hitting and slapping Arnie against a wall. He stopped hitting him after he fell on the floor. You couldn't believe what you just witnessed. Your closest friend and the man that you recently developed feelings for just hit his own mentally challenged brother. You felt your heart breaking and you were on the verge of tears.

Gilbert was out of breath as he turned off the water in the bathtub and, then, looked up and saw you standing by the doorway. He looked at you and Arnie, who was bleeding from the corner of his lip and on his right temple, before he looked back at you, with a 'what have I done' face. "(y/n)—" Gilbert was about say something as he stood up, but, then, you turned around and ran down the stairs, with tears running down your cheeks. "(y/n), what's wrong?" You heard Bonnie asking you before you stormed out the front door, crying. Once you were outside, you didn't know where to go since it was dark outside to ride home on your bicycle. Then, you spotted a tree in front of the family house and you ran towards it, where you sat down next to it, with you hugging your legs against your chest, crying.

Moments later, you could hear the front door opening, but you didn't turn around to see who it was. Then, you heard footsteps stopping from behind you. "(y/n)?" You heard Gilbert's voice. You turned your head around and looked up to see Gilbert standing behind you. You wiped your tears away before you took a deep breath and talked with him.

"(y/n), I'm...I'm sorry you saw that." He said, sounding guilty. "How could do that, Gilbert? You hit and slapped Arnie! He's mentally challenged!" You said, angrily, as you stood up and a faced him, with your hands on your hips. "Well, he shouldn't have eaten the cake after I told him not to! Do you have any idea how much that cake cost? Do you know what I had to do? Go to Foodland and end up getting seen by our own boss?!" Gilbert argued, while walking towards you. "But you seriously had to take your anger out on your own little brother? You could've handled it better than hitting him! He's a helpless boy, Gilbert, and you know that!" You said, feeling like you wanted to push him.

"Of course I know that, (y/n)! I'm the one who keeps an eye on him almost all of my life!" "Then, why did you do it, Gilbert? Are you really that frustrated with your complicated life that you had to go and take it out on Arnie? I don't know what's going through your mind right now. I've been your friend for a long time and I don't wanna lose you. I just wish you could make amends with your family, instead of moping about your life." You said, turning away from him.

You didn't hear Gilbert say a word after you said all of that to him. It made you wonder if he was taking a moment to think about all the things you said. Then, you felt a pair of arms wrapping around you, slowly, and you heard Gilbert's voice next to your ear, "I don't wanna lose you either, (y/n)." You started to relax in Gilbert's arms and your heart started fluttering. It was like a way to cool you down after arguing with him. "Oh, Gilbert." You said, softly, as you turned around and wrapped your arms around his torso. He adjusted his arms around you and wrapped them around your shoulders and held you close to him. You sniffled as the last remaining tears fell down your cheeks. "Shh. It's okay, (y/n)." Gilbert whispered, as he rubbed your back.

Moments later, you both pulled away from the hug and looked at each other, while your hands rested on Gilbert's waist. You even noticed tears falling down his cheeks, which was something you rarely ever seen from him because he has never cried in front of you. "I'm sorry and you were right about everything you said, (y/n). I know it was wrong to hit Arnie. I... I hit him so hard and I didn't realize it. I couldn't believe what I had done afterwards. You don't hurt him. You just don't. I should've never taken my frustration on him because I keep thinking about my life being so complicated when all I was doing was thinking about me and not my family." Gilbert said, remorsefully, pouring his heart out and sniffling a bit. "I kept thinking that I'm trapped. I got nowhere to go. I'm stuck living with my family for the rest of my life." He added.

"What is your heart saying, Gilbert?" You asked. He thought about it for a second until he answered, "I should be there for my family, especially for momma. I need to make amends with my family. And...I don't feel trapped or feel like I have nowhere to go whenever I'm by your side, (y/n), because you are my home and my heart." When he said that last sentence, your heart started fluttering even more and you felt tears forming in your eyes. But they weren't tears of sadness or anger. They were tears of joy and happiness. "And you're my home and my heart too, Gilbert Grape." You said.

Then, he leaned forward a bit, hesitating for a moment, until he leaned down and pressed his lips against yours. You kissed him back, slowly and gently, hoping you were doing it correct since this was your first kiss. Gilbert caressed both of your cheeks with both of his hands as he continued kissing you, lovingly and tenderly, while you wrapped your arms around his neck.

Afterwards, you both pulled away from the kiss and you rested your head against his shoulder, while Gilbert leaned his head against the side of your head. "I love you, (y/n). I love you so much." Gilbert said, softly, by your ear, while he petted your (h/l) (h/c) hair. "And I love you too, Gilbert." You said back. Then, you both pulled away from each other and Gilbert said, "We should probably head back inside. I need to apologize to Arnie and make amends with momma." You nodded and said, "Yeah. I think that's probably a good idea. She's probably wondering where we are and what happened." "Wait. Before we go in, I wanna say I'm sorry for yelling and arguing with you, (y/n)." Gilbert said. "It's okay, Gilbert. I forgive you." You said. He nodded and, then, he took your hand in his and you both walked back to the house.