Mort Rainey #4

Imagine you're being confronted by your boyfriend, Mort Rainey.

*Requested by Oulaladepp*

"You never do anything with me anymore, Mort!" You yelled at your boyfriend, Mort Rainey, who was sitting at his writing desk. "I think you're overreacting, (y/n)." He said. "I'm overreacting? Mort, all you do is sit at your desk and write all the time and you would get so obsessed of how the ending of your story should be! I've supported you and your writing ever since we've started dating, but now it makes me feel like you're not interested in our relationship anymore!" You said, and, then, you walked down the stairs. "Come on, (y/n), I still love you. I just have work to catch up on." Mort said, standing up and looking down at you from up above. But you ignored him as you were putting on your jacket and grabbing your purse. "Where are you going, (y/n)?" He asked. "Out. You just focus on your ending, Mort." You said, and, then, you walked out the door.

After you left, Mort sat back down on his chair and he ran his fingers through this blonde hair, sighing in frustration. He pulled out the drawer in front of him and started rummaging through some things to find a pack of cigarettes to help relieve from the stress. But, then, he picked up something that he hasn't seen a long time. It was a wallet size picture of him and his ex-wife, Amy. When he saw that picture, he started having flashbacks of him and Amy during their happy times throughout their marriage, him catching her having an affair with their friend, Ted Milner, and confronting her in the end. After he thought about that, he started having all these thoughts about you leaving him for good after you walked out the door, just like what Amy did with him.

He turned to the side and spotted something black in a cardboard box on his chair that was by the little secret window that he hasn't worn since the day Amy and Ted had mysteriously disappeared. A black hat.

***

You and Mort have been dating since last year in October. You were at the grocery store picking up some groceries when you ran into Mort's cart by accident. You apologized to him and he forgave you. It was surprising to see Mort because you've read his books and you've always thought about meeting him one day. He was very friendly to you and he asked you if you wanted to go hang out with him sometime and you accepted his offer. After two months of hanging out together, he asked you out on an official date, where he asked you to be his girlfriend. You said, 'yes', and, then, he gave you a rose gold colored heart-shaped locket as a symbol of your relationship with him and you having his heart.

On the day of your first anniversary with Mort, you asked him if he wanted to take a break from his writing and take vacation together somewhere other than New York

On the day of your first anniversary with Mort, you asked him if he wanted to take a break from his writing and take vacation together somewhere other than New York. He disappointed you when he said that he doesn't have time to take a vacation because he's focused on the ending of his upcoming book about a man killing his wife because he thought she was leaving him after thinking he chose his career over their marriage. You were so hurt by his answer, you argued with him for being busy with his writing all time instead of spending time with you.

***

You pulled up in front of Mort's cabin, unbuckled your seatbelt, grabbed two cups of coffee, and headed to the front door. You set one of the cups between your arm and chest as you grabbed your key to unlock the door. Once the door unlocked, you opened the door, grabbed the coffee cup with your free hand, and walked inside. "Mort, I'm back and I got you an expresso." You said. But you didn't hear him respond. "Mort? I'm sorry about earlier. I was just upset. Come on down and let's talk." You called out, as you set your coffee on the dining room table, while you kept Mort's expresso with you. But there was still no response. You sighed, in frustration, as you walked up the stairs. "He probably has his headphones on and has the music up too loud." You said to yourself.

But when you got to the top of Mort's desk area, you noticed that he wasn't there. You were confused because you saw his Jeep when you parked your car next to it and it indicated that he was home. "Mort? Mort, are you hiding or something? I really hope you're not upset with me. Please come out of your hiding spot and let's talk." You said.

Then, you heard a squeak from the bedroom door. You gasped when you saw Mort walking out the bedroom, with a black hat, and came to a halt and looked at you, with a blank stare. "Mort?" You said, sounding a bit frightened. But he didn't flinch. He just kept staring at you. "Mort, what's wrong? Why are you wearing that hat?" You asked. "It's mine." He spoke, in a southern accent, as he walked towards you, slowly, making you walk down the stairs backwards.

"What's wrong with you, Mort? Why are you acting this?" "I ain't no Mort, missy. Mort's gone. Mort's dead. He was a coward from the start. He didn't know how to do handle himself." Mort said, while he was walking down the stairs. "Stop talking like this, Mort. This isn't like you. You're scaring me." You said. "There's no reason to be scared no more. You leave like the missus did before, you will be silent...forever." Mort said, almost in a threatening tone.

Briefly glancing down at the coffee cup, you quickly took off the lid and was about to throw the coffee towards Mort's face. But, then, he ended up pushing your hand to the side away from him, causing you to drop the coffee cup and spill the coffee all over the floor. Panicking, you turned around to make a run for it, but Mort grabbed your (h/l) (h/c) hair to avoid you escaping from him. Then, he pushed you onto the floor, where you quickly tried to crawl to the backyard door, but Mort held you down with his foot. "Mort, stop it!" You shouted, as you were squirming to get out of Mort's hold. "I'm about done fussing with you." Mort said.

He got on top of you and held your wrists down. "Mort, it's me. (y/n). You know me." You said, convincingly, while you continued to squirm out of Mort's strong grip on your wrists. He, then, leaned towards your face and stopped, closely, in front of it. You turned your head to the side to avoid looking at him. "I am so sorry, missy, but right is right and fair is fair and and something has got to be done from what your actions were like from earlier. You break my heart, I'm gonna break you." He said. Your eyes widened after he said that. You knew right away that this was not the Mort that you know. It's like someone had possessed him into doing this all because of the argument from earlier. "You're not the Mort that I know." You said, straight up to his face.

Mort grinned at you as he quickly put both of his hands on your neck and kept a grip on it. You started choking as you put your hands on his wrists and tried to pulled them away. You moved your body from side-to-side to try to get Mort off of you, but it didn't work. "Mort, please!" You shouted, while chocking at the same time, as you turned to the side one last time before giving up.

In process of your last attempt to get Mort off of you, the top button on your jacket ripped off. After that, Mort noticed something shiny that made him stop what he was doing. He saw the locket around your neck. As he kept staring at it, he started having flashbacks of you and him together. He saw all the fun, happy moments that the two of you had during your relationship. The last thing that he saw was after he put the locket around your neck, you turned to him and said, "You know I will never leave you, Mort."

As soon as he heard that, it felt like it was echoing around him and it somehow managed to snap him out of his different personality. "Oh, (y/n)..." He said, in his normal voice, as he let go of your neck, rolled his eyes back, and collapsed on the floor, with his eyes closed. You rolled onto your hands and knees and started taking deep breaths after what just happened.

When you started to breathe normally, you turned to the unconscious Mort, who was still lying on the floor. You crawled to him and you put a hand on top of his head. "Mort? Mort?" You said. He groaned for a bit, but he didn't open his eyes. You stroked the top of his head with your thumb, with tears running down your cheeks.

"Oh, Mort, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry that I let this happen to you. So much for our first anniversary. I don't know who that was inside you no more than five minutes ago, but I know my Mort is still here. I know he still loves me and he knows that I will never leave him. But importantly, I hope he knows that I still have his heart." You said, as you gripped onto the heart on your necklace, while you continued stroking his head with your thumb. 'Perhaps this right here could be the ending of his story.' You thought to yourself, sarcastically.