Gilbert Grape #5

Imagine you're having dinner with Gilbert Grape's family.

For the past week, you've been hanging out with Gilbert Grape, a man you met at Lamson's Grocery after you moved to Endora. You walked into Lamson's Grocery one day to pick up groceries to take to your apartment and you accidentally bumped into Gilbert in an aisle. You both apologized for bumping into each other and you both introduced yourselves to one another. When you saw Gilbert's mentally challenged little brother, Arnie, you told Gilbert that you've dealt with a couple of mentally challenged students when you were high school. Gilbert took an instant liking to you because of how nice of person and how beautiful you are to him. After he was done with work, he took you around town and showed you everything in the small town.

Since then, you been stopping by Lamson's Grocery everyday just to see Gilbert and get to know more about him. After getting know more about each other, Gilbert had decided to invite you over to dinner to meet his family. You couldn't wait to meet his family. He's told you so much about them, including his mother, whom Gilbert hasn't really been talking nice about. But you weren't gonna judge her or anyone else. All it mattered to you was that you were going meet Gilbert's family and get to know them.

***

Once Gilbert pulled his truck in front of his family house, he got of the truck, walked around it, and opened the passenger door for you and Arnie, who was sitting in the middle. "Thank you, Gilbert." You said, as you got out of the truck, with Arnie following you, and, then, you closed the door. Arnie ran up the porch steps, laughing, as he ran inside the house, shouting something.

As you were walking with Gilbert, you started to feel nervous. "Gilbert, I-I'm nervous. What if your family doesn't like me?" You said. "Don't worry, (y/n). You'll probably like them once you meet them. Is it my mom that's making you nervous?" Gilbert asked, sounding curious. "Of course not. It's just natural for me to feel nervous when I meet new people." You explained. "It's alright, (y/n). I'll be with you the whole time and I can guarantee that everything will fine during dinner." Gilbert said. "Okay." You said.

Once you both reached the door, Gilbert opened the door and walked in. "Come on in, (y/n)." He said, while he gestured you to step inside and you, shyly, stepped inside the house. You noticed one older woman and a young teenage girl carrying a table, filled with food on top of it, and they set it in front of an obese woman, who happened to be Gilbert's mother as he talked a lot about her. Arnie was sitting on the couch with her, while he was still laughing and flicking his nose.

"Gilbert, who's this?" The older woman asked. "Oh, right. This is (y/n). I've been seeing her the past week and I thought it'd be nice to have her over for dinner to meet you all." Gilbert introduced. "Would've been nice for a heads up when you bring a stranger over, Gilbert." The teenage girl said, rudely. "Ellen, be nice." Gilbert said back to her. "Sorry about that, (y/n). That was my little sister, Ellen. You already know Arnie, of course. That's my older sister, Amy." Gilbert said, gesturing to the older woman by the table. "And that's momma. You can call her 'Bonnie'." He said, pointing to the woman on the couch. You walked up to her and held your hand out to her and said, "It's very nice to meet you." Then, she took your hand and shook it. "It's nice to meet you too." She said.

After doing introductions, it was time to eat dinner, which was chicken, mashed potatoes, and corn on the cob. Amy grabbed an extra chair for you and you sat in between Gilbert and Arnie. The food was delicious and you were starting to like Gilbert's family already, despite Ellen's attitude at the table.

While everyone was eating, they started discussing Arnie's upcoming Eighteenth Birthday party and what kind of appetizers they should have at the party. You sometimes glanced at Gilbert and he would sometimes stare at Bonnie whenever she made a food suggestion. You didn't want to be left out of the conversation, so you started saying some ideas for appetizers. "I think I would suggest deviled eggs as one of the appetizers for the party." You suggested. "I like that idea. That's a great suggestion, (y/n)." Amy said. "I want hotdogs, mom." Arnie said, repeatedly, at the dinner table. You chuckled at Arnie's love for hotdogs. "We're gonna have hotdogs, honey. I promise we're gonna have hotdogs." Bonnie said, sweetly.