Mort Rainey #5

Imagine you're Mort Rainey's girlfriend and you're confronted by John Shooter.

"And they lived happily ever after. The end." Your boyfriend, Mort Rainey, finished the last sentence in a storybook close to your swollen abdomen, while he rubbed it with his other hand, in slow, gentle circles. After he closed the book, he leaned down and kissed your abdomen, twice, and said, "I hope you loved the story I read to you, sweetheart. Your mother and I can't wait to see you very soon." You giggled as you ran your fingers through his blonde hair.

"That was very nice of you to do that for our little girl, Mort. I'm sure she was very happy to hear your voice while you were reading to her." You said. Mort sat up and looked at you, with a smile on his face. "I'm sure she loved it, (y/n). I can't wait to read more books to her when she's born. Three more weeks until the due day." He said, while he stroked your abdomen with his thumb. You smiled as you placed your hand on top of Mort's and said, "You're gonna be a wonderful father, Mort." "And you're gonna be a wonderful mother, (y/n)." He said, and, then, he leaned forward and pressed his lips against yours and you both kissed each other.

Moments later, you both pulled away from the kiss and, then, you looked down at your watch and saw that it was 4:59 pm. "I should get dinner started." You said. "But, (y/n), I don't want you to do that. You're close to having our baby girl very soon." Mort said, sounding concerned. "Mort, I'll be fine. I promise. I don't want to order take out, I wanna cook. Now what do you want for dinner?" "Hm. How about spaghetti?" Mort answered. "Perfect! I'll get right to it." You said. Then, you, slowly, sat up, trying not to strain your back, while Mort helped you stand up. "Thank you, Mort." You said. "You're welcome, (y/n). I'm gonna call my publisher to see how my new novel is coming along. Yell for me if you need anything." He said. "Okay, Mort." You said. Then, he went upstairs to your shared bedroom, while you went to the kitchen to get everything ready for dinner.

***

A year ago, you reunited with Mort, your high school friend, when you both met each other for the first time in years at a local Tashmore Lake market. You both haven't seen each other since high school graduation day because you both went off to different colleges. Throughout the years, after graduating from college, you've been following up on Mort when he became a well-known mystery writer. After reuniting with him, you both have been going out to catch up on how things are going with each other. When he told you about the recent divorce with his ex-wife, Amy, you felt bad for him. But he was happy to have you back in his life since he had a crush on you in high school. You were surprised that he had a crush on you back from high school because you had a crush on him as well. It felt like you both were meant to be together.

Six months after you and Mort had reunited, you've found that you're pregnant. It was shocking at first when you and Mort found out, but you both were instantly excited to have a baby together. Mort was happy to finally become a father and have a baby with you since he and his ex-wife suffered a miscarriage years ago. Right now, you were nine months pregnant with a baby girl and you were due any day.

***

As you were preparing all the ingredients to make for the spaghetti, there was a knock at the front door. You turned towards the door, with furrowed eyebrows, wondering who it could be since you and Mort weren't expecting anyone. Then, there was another knock at the door, with a pounding sound this time. You were confused and scared of who it could be at the door. You walked out of the kitchen and headed to the door to see who it was. When you opened the door, there was a man standing there, with a black hat and a serious expression on his face.

"Can I help you, sir?" You asked. "I'm here to see Mr. Rainey, little lady. Wasn't expecting to see a lady here besides Mr. Rainey. Who are you?" The man said, with a southern accent. "I'm (y/n), Mort's girlfriend. Who are you and what are you doing here?" You asked. "The name's John Shooter, little lady, and I'm on official business with Mr. Rainey." The man, John Shooter, said. For some reason, you were getting creepy vibes coming from him and you didn't trust him one bit by the way he's talking "Well, I'm sorry. He's currently busy at the moment and we have other stuff to do after he's finished. I'll tell him you stopped by." You said, and, then, you were about to shut the door.