Mort Rainey #2

Imagine you visiting your estranged brother, Mort Rainey.

It was the middle of October as you were pulling your car up to your older brother, Mort Rainey's, cabin in Tashmore Lake in upstate New York. You carefully got out of your car as you were six months pregnant with your first child and, then, you walked around the corner of your car to open the trunk that was filled with groceries for Mort. You grabbed all the grocery bags out of the trunk, shut the door, and, then, you walked towards the entrance of Mort's cabin.

***

You haven't seen your brother for the past seven months after he caught his wife, Amy, having an affair with their friend, Ted Milner. It was difficult for Mort and you felt bad for him. You never liked Amy after he married her and you felt like you didn't trust her. After he caught them, he moved to his secluded cabin and he rarely called or seen anyone, including you and your husband, Christopher.

But sooner or later, you received a phone call from Mort, asking you to come over and pick up some groceries for him on the way. It was strange to you of why he asked you to pick up some groceries for him since he can drive. Plus, the way he talked over the phone was pretty unusual of him. You felt like you were talking to a different Mort. A different Mort that had replaced your own brother.

***

You walked up to the front door, set down the grocery bags, and, then, you knocked on the door. At first, nobody didn't answer, so you knocked on the door again. This time, you heard the deadbolt unlock and, then, the door opened, revealing your brother, Mort, who looked a lot different from the last you saw him. His blonde hair with brown roots was straightened instead of his usual messy hair, his glasses were different, he dressed nicely instead of his usual sloppy clothes he'd always wore, and he also wore braces. 'What the heck happened to you, Mort? This a different you.' You thought to yourself, feeling worried about him.

"(y/n), you're here. It's so good to see you. I've missed you so much." Mort said, while he was smiling, as he walked up to you and wrapped his arms around you and embraced you, gently, with a hug. You stiffened at first, but, then, you wrapped your arms around him and hugged back, even though you somehow felt slightly uncomfortable.

Then, he pulled away from the hug and he looked down at your swollen abdomen. "Oh, (y/n), you look great. I still can't believe my own little sister is having a baby. How is the little one?" He asked. "Oh, uh, he's doing fine. He's starting to kick." You answered. Mort gasped and asked, "You're having a boy?" You nodded and said, "Yeah. I'm...having a boy. I guess I forgot to tell you." "That's alright. What matters is that I'm having a nephew." Mort said, as he, gently, patted your abdomen.

"Well, I'm glad that you're...excited about your nephew, Mort. I know...you'll make a great uncle. Anyway, I have your groceries right here." You said, as you were about to pick up the grocery bags. "No, no, (y/n). I don't want you to pick those up. You're fragile. I'll get those for you." He said, sounding protective, as he grabbed all the grocery bags and took them in. 'I carried them twice already. I could carry them fine.' You thought to yourself. "Come on in, (y/n)." Mort said, from the kitchen. You stepped into his cabin and you looked all over the place. It was clean, which surprised you because you know your brother barely picks up after himself sometimes and he's not the deep cleaning type. 'Interesting.' You thought to yourself again, as you headed to the kitchen.

You walked up to Mort and started helping him put the groceries away. As you were doing that, you saw piles of corn on a cob on his counters and even some that was in a boiling pot on the stove. 'Is this all that he eats?' You questioned yourself, thoughtfully. "What's with the corn, Mort?" You asked. "Oh, I just started harvesting my own corn, (y/n), and I can't stop eating it. It's really good." He said, sounding a bit psychotic at the end. You furrowed your eyebrows, in confusion, as you put the last bit of groceries away. "But you're wearing...braces, Mort. Aren't you not allowed to eat corn when wearing braces?" You asked. "It doesn't bother me. I haven't had any trouble with eating corn on a cob with my braces." Mort said.