Better (Part Two)

if you haven't read part one, do that now :)

.

My eyes were suddenly open, and I was completely awake. Something felt off, but I couldn't quite remember what.

All of my previous disappointment switched to fear as I went to move. I realized two things:

1. Niall would be furious when he saw me lying there and not in the kitchen making him breakfast.

2. His hand was on my waist.

I slowly and carefully turned my head to look at him, knowing if I made any sudden movements, I would be short one boyfriend.

When I saw his smile waiting for me, I was even more careful. I didn't know if he was playing some type of game.

"Morning," he said quietly. His morning voice surprised me, considering I had only head it while he was yelling by ears off.

"I'll go make breakfast," I whispered as quiet as I could. I slowly removed his hand from my waist even though it felt good, placing it on top of the sheets. My breathing was almost non-existent.

"You don't have to do that," he spoke, acting like it was normal for him to make it. I shook my head, sliding out of the sheets that were so comfortable and warm.

"It's tradition," I improvised, suddenly attacked by the cold. I shivered as I went to grab real clothes.

I heard him moving, hoping he hadn't gotten up to yell at me.

"(Y/N)," he said softly, and I froze. He walked around to meet my eyes, taking my hand in his. I was more scared that I expected, but it felt irrational.

"Traditions change," he smiled lightly, suppressing a yawn. I furrowed my eyebrows. Was it a test, or was he really going to make breakfast?

"Get back in bed before you freeze,"he chuckled, leaning over to give me a sudden and surprisingly long kiss. It was of the longest we'd had, making my heart skip more than a few beats.

"Go on," he ushered, watching until I lied back down in bed. He left the room as my body warmed back up, and I couldn't believe it.

I thought for a long time about why. What had changed?

I think I fell asleep after a few minutes, confused but too tired to put all my effort into thinking about it.

The door flew open, slamming against the wall, and my eyes were wider than ever.

He's mad, was all my mind could muster in that moment. I slowly made my eyes meet his, but he looked guilty.

"I woke you up, didn't I?" he sighed, holding a tray of food. "I'm a lot stronger at kicking than I think, and my hands are full," he shrugged. I saw his expression right then, saw the effort he'd put into making food, and I saw that he hadn't been mad at all that morning.

And I let my guard down, finally.

"Is that for me?" I wondered, sitting up and crossing my legs. He set the food on my lap, grinning wider than I thought he could at anytime in the day.

"I couldn't let my girlfriend starve," he shrugged, sitting down on the bed in front of me.

"So what's different today?" I wondered, knowing I was safe. I felt stupid for ever thinking I wasn't.

"What do you mean?" he asked, stealing a piece of bacon off my plate. I didn't even care.

"You're in a great mood, you made breakfast," I emphasized. He nodded, understanding.

"It's not normal, but neither were the circumstances of last night," he pointed out as I picked up my fork. I kept my head down, hiding my slightly rosy cheeks. I remembered the previous night, smiling.

"I know that, but you're usually cranky in the mornings when I'm over," I reminded him. He suddenly took my hand as I put a large bite of eggs in my mouth.

"I'm sorry for all the times I was so rude to you," he apologized, surprising me beyond belief. I stared up at him, swallowing.

"It's been a problem since I was a kid," he shrugged, rubbing the back of my hand. I inhaled slowly.

"But why is it different now?" I wondered, seeing his cheeks turn red. I think that was what surprised me most.

"I think it's you," he started, looking down. Turning what he felt into coherent words wasn't one of his strengths.

"Lately, since we've been getting closer. I've been happier. It's not a miracle, it's you," he explained, giving me a smile before looking back down from embarrassment. I squeezed his hand, getting him to lift his eyes to meet mine.

"It can't be just me. I'm only one person," I smiled at him, watching him shake his head before I could even finish my sentence.

"Everything," he started, searching for words. I thought he just meant it was everything else, too. I glanced down at the food on my lap, happy that I had such a great guy to spend time with.

"(Y/N)," he called softly, regaining my attention.

"Everything's better with you."

.

.

I really don't have much of an excuse

I don't feel the urge to write at all lately. School stressed me out more than ever, problems with friends, and then my brother got in an accident.

I'm trying to get back to writing, I really am. This is why I can't take a break, you see?

I'm going to push myself more than usual to write something and anything but it might take a while for me to actually feel up to it

I'm sorry.

Mel