Granted (Request)

I vaguely recalled, in my drowsy state, that my dream had woken me up. I saw the morning light peeking in through the window, but as I blinked slowly and glanced at the clock, it was only almost six.

I remembered what my dream had been about as I drifted bacck to sleep, but then my eyes shot back open.

I was in the bathroom, pulling off my pajamas and trying to fix my hair.

"Alex?" Niall called from back in bed.

"Tell me how," I started, pulling on my jeans and trying to gather everything I needed. "We forgot that Denise," I continued, slightly out of breath. I decided to do my hair when I got there.

"Asked us to babysit today?" I finally finished, stepping out to look at him. It took him a few seconds to lose the haze over his eyes and realize what I had.

He rolled out of bed, literally, hitting the floor with a thud. My laugh was uncontrollable, but I continued getting all of my things.

I was ready in two minutes, but Niall was already heading out the door.

We passed the store on our way there, and I heard him groan.

"We have our party tonight, don't we?" he sighed, and I shook my head, sighing with him. How had we forgotten?

"We can do it," I spoke, not sure but confident enough to force myself on. "Denise gets home -- "

Niall suddenly kissed me, stopping my lips from forming words. He almost swerved into oncoming traffic by doing so, letting out a yelp. I blushed, looking out the window, wondering why he'd risked both our lives just then.

Taking care of Theo wasn't a challenge since he slept most of the time. When he finally woke up, we fed him, then we were off to the store. We needed food, drinks, plates, cutlery and cups for at least 20 people. We were celebrating the announcement of our engagement, so it had to be a halfway decent party.

We were rushing through the store, trying to grab things quickly due to the fact that Theo wouldn't stop crying. I was holding him against my hip, hoping he would cry himself out and fall asleep.

"How about sharp cheddar?" Niall asked me, and I got frustrated. I grabbed the mild cheddar he hadn't noticed, shoved it against his chest and kept looking for Parmesan a few steps away from him. Theo had quieted down as I fumed, annoyed at how stupid I'd been to forget all the things we had to do that day.

"Hey," he spoke quietly to me, and I sighed.

"I'm sorry, okay?" We didn't have time to make apologies. I was telling myself to calm down and realize that Niall was doing more good than bad when he stepped in front of me and squished Theo in between us to hug me. I furrowed my eyebrows, feeling both of us relax from each other's touch.

"Everything will be okay. Stress can't run our party," he smiled at me, and I found it amazing that he could make me feel better that quickly. I mean, I guess that was why I was marrying him in the first place, but still.

"Thanks for being so nice to me," I nodded, sighing when Theo started pulling my hair. At least he wasn't screaming.

We finished at the store, ordering for a cake to be decorated for that night. We dropped off everything at our house, heading back to Denise's with Theo whining in the backseat.

"I can go and decorate the house and pick up the cake if you want," he whispered behind me as I put Theo down for another nap. I smiled, turning around to hug him.

"That'd be great," I whispered back. I tried to pull away, knowing he'd need to get going, but he trapped me there. The nicest confinement was in his arms, and I wondered if he felt the same way about my own.

"See you soon," he grinned, leaving me to listen to Theo snoring as my heart only picked up pace at the smile he'd had on his face.

I ended up falling asleep on the couch, still thinking about how nice he'd been that day even though almost nothing had gone right.

Denise woke me with her arrival, and we talked for a while until I saw that the party started in an hour.

I was surprised that the house looked so good when I got there. He'd done a pretty good job considering we'd bought the cheapest decorations.

"I'm excited," he sighed, taking my left hand in his as I tried to set out plates and cups. He didn't let me do so, wiggling my engagement ring before spinning me around and into him.

"I'm so happy," he spoke close to my ear. The chaos of the day slowly seeped into whispers. I felt his own ring chilling my slightly exposed skin on my waist, reminding me of the day he'd proposed.

Before I could relive the memory or completely melt into him, the doorbell rang.

"That's the pizza," I breathed, and he let me go gently. As he greeted Jake, our regular delivery guy, I cleaned the bathroom.

As I went to flush the bowl cleaner down the toilet, the handle refused to work.

"Niall!" I called, letting my worry show through in my tone. When he came running, a slice of pizza halfway in his mouth and a concerned face, it took everything in me not to laugh.

"That's attractive," I smirked, waving him over. He tried the handle after I explained, but the worry in his own eyes made my heart drop.

"We can't exactly have people over if we don't have a working toilet," I listened to him say. It took a few seconds to build up, but I felt all of my mistakes that day come back.

I don't think he was surprised when I started crying. He closed the toilet lid and told me to sit, and I became confused.

"Why have you been so nice to me today?" I asked him, seeing him hand me a tissue for my ruined makeup.

"Because I love you," he replied like I should have known that, crouching down to meet my eyes.

"But I've messed up," I sighed, thankfully landing the blackened tissue in the trash. "I almost made Denise late for her meeting, I forgot about the party, then I yelled at you, and now we'll have to cancel the party!" I exclaimed, covering my face.

I heard Niall trying to coax me out, finally listening to what he was saying to make sure he wasn't telling me I was indeed stupid.

"None of that matters." I sighed, shaking my head. I knew how much Niall was awaiting the party.

"That's not it," he spoke, and I put down my hands to let him continue.

"I woke up this morning, seeing you so dedicated and focused and hard-working, and I decided I didn't want to be lazy anymore. I didn't want to take anything for granted," he shrugged. My ears registered nothing but my beating heart, and probably his, as I stared at him.

He was so selfless but indulgent at the same time. And he loved with all of his heart, something I'd struggled with.

"Then I won't either," I spoke, quickly smiling before leaning in and kissing the only man I'd ever loved.

.

.

thanks to alexxpeckover for requesting! so sorry for the wait, but I hope you liked it!

i love you all and i'm so sorry i haven't been posting :(

I'll be back home next week for spring break, so I'm making imagines for those days i'll be gone when i stay up for 24 hours to do so, on friday :) I dont want people to have to wait man

I love you all and talk to you soon!

Mel xx