Secret (Request)

I climbed in the car, asking where we were going one more time. He didn't answer me, but I didn't think much of it. The drive there was quite peaceful after that long day at work. I let the scenery soak into my tired eyes, thinking that we'd never driven that way before.

Niall had been silent for the whole way, but the thought only then occurred to me that he could be mad. I got a little scared. I glanced over at him inconspicuously, seeing a small smile on his face. I knew he was just enjoying the silence as much as I was.

We finally pulled into a small parking lot next to a playground and a batch of trees. There was a river to our right behind the trees. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What are we doing?" I asked, and he smiled again, grabbing a basket from the back seat. I rolled my eyes, with a smile, wondering why he was going to such lengths to hide it when it was obvious that we were going on a picnic. I was still excited, though.

"We're having a nice day," he spoke finally, and I glanced at him as he reached for my hand.

"That's not a clue," I scoffed playfully. He squeezed my hand a little as we walked towards the river.

"You didn't ask for a clue," he retorted smartly. I rolled my eyes once more, pushing through a few branches to see the river. I let the smile take over my face. The sun beat down on the rocks that were exposed, the sparkling water running over the ones that weren't.

The rocks looked like steps in the water, each layer a slightly different color. The river came down from the right, and a small waterfall made my heart pound even faster. I saw all the places to climb and jump to and felt more excited than I should have at my age.

"Where do you want to sit?" he wondered, and I immediately knew where. I pulled him forward, letting out an incoherent direction as I led him to the rock that hung over the river a little more than the others. It was right in the warm sun, and we would have a perfect view of the downwind portion of the river and the waterfall.

I climbed up, temporarily holding the basket so he could do the same. I realized his smile matched mine. I stood on the edge of the rock, staring out at everything until I looked back and saw him laying out a blanket.

"Care to join me?" I closed my mouth on my smile, only opening it a second later.

"I'd love to," I sighed out, sitting down across from him. He'd brought the fruit pie I'd bought a few days earlier, an assortment of other fruits, and crackers and cheese. It wasn't much, but I was already extremely impressed and happy. I couldn't stop smiling, but neither could he.

"Why'd you do this?" I asked as I swallowed my first bite. My surroundings made it all the better tasting. I watched him chew for a second as he thought.

"A change of pace, I guess?" he shrugged, and I tilted my head a little. "You seemed stressed lately, so I wanted you to go somewhere different." I felt my cheeks start to ache as I turned away from him to smile into the sun. The sound of rushing water flowing into my ears agreed that Niall was freaking great. How could he be so concerned for others? I wanted to do that.

I glanced back over at him, wondering if he could be as obsessed with me as I was with him. I let that train of thought run for a while, chewing another bite before I broke the comfortable silence.

"You wanna know a secret?" I asked him, and his eyes lit up instantly.

"Of course!" he grinned, and I chuckled, seeing him scoot closer.

"In high school, I had two boyfriends at a time," I told him since that had come up in my thoughts. I waited for his reaction, but he just stared. "Neither of them ever found out," I added, but then he only squinted at me. I squinted right back, holding in my laughter.

"That's not a secret; that's just cheating," he spoke softly, and I backed away from him.

"It was an amazing feat!" I exclaimed, hearing a little echo off the rock. "They didn't know about each other at all." He still looked unimpressed, that sparkle of playfulness in his eyes. "All three of us were in the same class." He simply laughed and popped another strawberry in his mouth.

"Okay," he spoke with his mouth full, and I took a bite as well. "You wanna know a real secret that I've never told anyone?" I laughed at him, sighing.

"Sure," I let out, extending the word longer than necessary. He put another strawberry in his mouth, and I put my head in my hands.

"Oh, great secret," I chuckled, clapping my hands together a little. He started laughing, trying to swallow as he pushed my hands back down towards my lap.

"Ah, wait!" he chortled, and I couldn't help but laugh along. He swallowed forcefully, holding up a finger for me to wait.

"When I was 18, I stole a car," he told me, wide eyed and ready for my reaction. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Doubtful," I exhaled, taking another bite of the cheese and crackers. He scoffed at me as the sun disappeared behind the clouds for a few seconds.

"No, I really did!" he shouted, leaning closer to me. I shook my head in disbelief, partly playing with him, partly very curious.

"Someone told me to act my age, so I went and showed 'em that I didn't need to," he shrugged, and I swallowed again. "I mean, they never found out or I'd be in trouble, but it was fulfilling to me." I held back my giggle for only a few seconds, covering my mouth with my hand.

"You're such an idiot," I said behind my fingers. He squinted at me again.

"Hey, it was smart, and I did return it, so. . ." he trailed off, making me giggle louder and then begin to sing the song.

"I won't act my age, no I won't act my age. No, I'll still feel the same around you," I sung to him, and he rolled his eyes for a few seconds, letting me finish.

"You know, that song sounds like it's about the guys, but I wrote it for you," he told me, and that was what finally helped me to calm down from laughing. I left my smile there, though.

I thought about how that probably meant he wanted to grow old with me, and then he started listing off all of the songs that were also about me. I didn't realize how red my face was until he was finished and looking at me.

"Which one is your favorite?" he wondered, and I looked down, clearing my throat to hide my embarrassment. And I had to take a long breath to think after that, but it was obvious. It was what I listened to when I felt lonely some nights.

"You and I," I told him, looking up to see a slight tint of red on his cheeks, too. I looked back down, pretending to brush crumbs off of myself. When I looked back to him, he was standing above me, with a hand extended. I took it with little hesitation, but when he started to sing that very song, I was a little afraid. I think since my heart was beating so fast, I felt scared, but while we slowly danced to his voice, I couldn't have been more safe.

As he let out the last word, I reached up to kiss him quickly, knowing that if I waited longer I would chicken out. We'd been together for so long, but every single time I would get nervous about it.

He was surprised when I pulled away, but I interrupted him before he could say anything.

"Can you tell me if this counts as a better secret?" I spoke quietly, and he nodded without hesitation. He didn't let go of my gaze as I glanced away from it to speak.

"I love you," I finally said, and he held back a bigger grin that what he was already wearing.

"That's not a secret either, babe," he whispered before kissing me once more.

.

.

thanks to rrs1489lovesNiall1D for requesting! so sorry for the long wait, but I hope you liked it! I love all of your wonderful comments!

I LOVE YOU ALL SORRY FOR BAD POSTING PATTERNS UGH AH DGLJNSD

I'll try my best, especially with school starting and summer homework stILL NOT DONE

Mel xx

wish me luck omg