Melting (Request)

I settled down in my seat, smiling at the waitress, relieved that she'd told me that she would let me know when my boyfriend got there. 

Although it was unspoken, both he and I knew it was date night. He hadn't answered all but one of my texts that day, but I expected him to show up anyway. I told him the restaurant and time in hopes he would make it. He didn't. 

Over the next half an hour, the silence crawling into my ears was occasionally and eventually frequently interrupted by that same waitress quietly walking up to ask me if I was ready to order. She offered to start up some cheese fondue for me, but I knew it would get cold before he could get there. I was convinced he would. Each time I managed to shoo her away, reluctantly but helpless to do anything but go back to sitting and waiting. 

When the stares from the couples around me began to stick, my thoughts about abandonment did, too. Those eyes whispered heavy thoughts into my atmosphere, and I breathed them in almost too willingly. 

He's not coming. He's gone home. He's with someone else. He's left you.

I felt my heart sinking down into my empty stomach until it was startled so suddenly by someone sitting down right in front of me.

"Sorry I'm late, babe. Traffic is insane right now," he chuckled loudly, pulling his chair closer in towards the table and my curiosity as my heart pulsed a little faster and returned to its rightful place.

"I'm Niall. Just go with it, yeah?" he added quietly, glancing around as he undid the silverware from his napkin. "Whoever didn't bother to show is a jerk," he muttered, giving me a slightly apologetic look. I nodded, letting a small smile break the silence of my mind. 

Gosh, he's cute, it breathed out when I did. The waitress was more than happy to take my order, finally. She ran to get what she needed to start on our fondue. 

The stranger across from me began to make conversation to look natural as I went over the outlines of his face and how the light hanging above us made strange shadows on them. It didn't change how my eyes traveled from side to side, admiring how handsome my rescuer was. 

As I started tuning into his voice, I realized how lucky I'd been that my boyfriend hadn't shown up.

And sooner than I'd expected, the fondue wasn't the only thing that was melting. 

.

.

thanks to alice_christy for requesting! sorry for the wait, but I hope you liked it! 

also thanks to tumblr user peacetealuke for the idea! i love tumblr i have so many things i want to write from it omg 

school sucks tbh sigh 

BUT I LOVE YOU AND YOU'RE AMAZING SO RIGHT NOW I'M OKAY 

Mel xx