Answer (Request)

I blinked to try to open my eyes, groaning for Niall to turn off the light.

"Wake up," he sighed, chuckling a little. Still drowsy, I shook my head, my eyes closed.

"It's too early," I sighed, trying to get comfortable.

"We're at the airport," he reminded me. My eyes shot open just then, and I let my heart break again. I was leaving.

"Sorry," I sighed, rubbing my eyes and taking off my seatbelt. He stayed silent as we took our luggage out of the car and woke up Mel.

Trudging through the doors, I started to feel the reality of it all. I was leaving.

The school Mel and I had chosen was in New York, and the semester started in two days. That would give us enough time to get settled and such.

After going through all the motions, we finally sat down at our gate, Niall beside the both of us.

"Are you hungry?" he spoke up, and I shrugged.

"I could eat," I sighed, and he smiled at me from the corner of my eye.

"Why don't you come with me to McDonald's and Mel will watch our stuff," he suggested, and I nodded, standing slowly.

After Mel told me what she wanted, I walked off with Niall. We were both silent, but there was a lot that I personally wanted to say to him.

We'd been friends for a really long time, and I was suddenly leaving for a long time as well. I didn't know how to say what I was feeling, but I knew that the goodbye would be hard.

We ordered our food, heading back afterwards.

"D'you think it'll be fun?" he asked, and I glanced over at him. I couldn't read his expression then.

"I hope so. It is school, but with Mel there I think I'll survive," I chuckled, and he nodded.

"Hopefully," he let out.

The gate was just coming into view when I felt my stomach rumble. The sun was brightening the sky outside slowly.

"What time is-" I began, wondering what time is was relative to our flight.

"I like you," he interrupted, and he stopped next to me. I turned to look back at him, feeling utterly confused for a second until I saw the look in his eyes.

I opened my mouth to speak, but I was interrupted once more. I wouldn't have been able to answer him anyway. The plane was boarding.

I furrowed my eyebrows, sighing as I rushed over to Mel to give her the food and grab my luggage.

"Hey," Niall whispered next to me, looking kind of hurt and kind of scared and trying to get some sort of answer out of me.

"I-I have to go," I told him, shaking my head. What he'd said had thrown me off. What was I supposed to say?

"I'm sorry," I threw towards him, taking my things and walking to board the plane without looking back. As soon as I was out of his sight, I felt like I could think for myself.

He likes me? He actually likes me? Why didn't he tell me sooner?

Throughout the years of our friendship, I'd always wondered if it would be okay to like him, knowing how easy and how wonderful it would be and feel. But I never knew if that would offend him or affect our relationship.

So as I got onto the plane to leave home, I started to imagine what it would be like if we'd had the chance to get into something like that together.

Homesickness had already set in by the time I was sitting down in my assigned seat. When Mel joined me, she noticed my changed expression.

"What happened?" she asked, and I sighed.

"Niall," I let out, shaking my head and closing the window next to me because of the rain and wind. She leaned forward to look at me, obviously wanting more of an answer.

"I couldn't answer him after he told me he liked me." She nodded, probably already having figured out that he did. She was always a little more perceptive than I was.

We sat in silence for a while, waiting for the flight to start. Not many people were boarding, and we hoped we could find an empty row to sleep in. But about a half an hour later, when the two of us were starting to get restless, one of the hostesses cleared her voice over the intercom.

"We're sorry to announce this, but this flight has been cancelled until further notice because of weather conditions.

In that moment, I was more than a little annoyed, wanting to spend time adjusting in New York. But as soon as I walked back to our gate, my stomach collapsed in on itself.

Sitting there, alone, was Niall. I didn't know what to do when I saw him.

When he looked up with sad eyes, he looked just as scared as I felt. Scrambling for words in my brain as he stood up, I began to panic, seeing that he was walking towards me.

I let go of my suitcase quickly, listening to what my heart was saying as it pounded way too fast in my chest.

"I heard that the flight--" And that time I interrupted him. I rushed towards him, surprising him.

I had no idea how to answer what he had told me, so I felt my heart give out its loudest beat, I kissed my best friend.

I kissed him to tell him sorry. I kissed him to shut up up, as well.

But I kissed him in hopes of giving him the answer that he wanted.

.

.

thanks to missmoe for requesting! So so sorry for the wait, babe, but I hope you liked it :)

I love you all! Sorry for lying about getting a fourth out yesterday. If I could have kept my eyes open I wouldn't be rushing to get yesterday's planned imagines done sigh

Mel x

p.s. I'm wearing my wonderwoman onesie because I need the power hahah