Arms (Request)

before you read; it's kind of morbid that I use my own character, Mel, as the one who dies, so I'm sorry beforehand. i'm still alive haha

.

I woke up in a panic, blinded by the terror of it all, trying to open my eyes further but only peering into darkness. I stopped screaming, not even realizing my throat was straining that much. I reached to turn the lamp on next to me, my heart stuttering at the thought of being in the darkness any longer. 

The nightmare I'd just been trapped in was more of a memory. Mel and I were in the car, just driving, laughing. And when the second car hit, I watched Mel die, unable to do anything, unable to breath, unable to scream. The real story was very similar, but I'd passed out. Right then I'd wished I would have died with her. 

The tears rolled down my face freely, my chest spasming as I sobbed and curled into myself, wrapping my arms around my body because I knew I was alone. Just as I thought that, gritting my teeth together, life decided to laugh at me in a strange way. 

Niall burst into the room, scaring me once more and dropping more tears onto my soaked cheeks as they blinked at him. 

"Are you okay?" he breathed out, and I nodded falsely, taking a breath in with lungs that felt ripped and on fire. 

"Nightmare," I got out, wiping the tears with the sleeve of my shirt. 

"I'm sorry," he let out, his body relaxing as he stood just inside the door of my room. That night, Niall had brought over homemade cookies, ending up getting stuck at my house. His car broke down, and Mel had been driving mine on the night I couldn't forget, so he decided to stay over and figure it out in the morning. 

I had instinctively held in my sobs when the door opened, but I couldn't do it. It was natural at that point and uncontrollable. I bit my tongue, holding back any loud noises that would normally accompany that, knowing I would only make him feel uncomfortable. Hopefully he would leave. I would try to be quiet after that. 

"How can I help?" he asked, seeming to get closer as I tried to breathe to hold something back, anything. I was a mess, but I appreciated whatever I could have control over. 

"I don't know," I breathed out, keeping my head down. I took in a deep, shaky breath, having been sobbing for too long and too hard. Suddenly, he gently took my wrists in his hands, unwrapping them from my legs. I looked up at him, seeing him have sat down in front of me on my bed. He held my hands in front of me, blinking sadly before letting them go and hugging me. Knowing his pity for me was overwhelming and that no one should have had to worry about me killed me, sending me to crying into his shoulder for probably fifteen minutes. 

Somehow, he endured it, and I didn't complain. I didn't want to escape the entrapment of his arms, and after a while, I ran out of energy and tears, starting to doze off against him. When my tears had dried, he let me go, saying something about going back to sleep. I agreed for a few seconds, slipping back under my covers with quiet obedience. 

But as he walked towards the door, and I reached to turn off the light out of habit, my body froze, not able to tolerate the thought of going back to the horror that lived in my head, terrified to go through it alone anymore. 

"Niall," I barely got out, feeling the tears swelling my eyes again. I was surprised I had so many to spare. He looked back at me with wide, curious eyes. 

"Will you stay?" I whispered, hoping that he heard, not knowing if I would have the courage to repeat myself if he hadn't. He only blinked at me, closing the door he'd just opened again and starting back towards the bed. I inhaled quickly, withholding my tears. 

He sat down on the opposite side of the bed, watching me get comfortable once more. I stared back at him as he seemed to occupy as little space as possible. I'd found that strange since we'd just been pressed together for what felt like eternities. 

Niall and I were just good friends, but any friendship could turn to something more under the right circumstances. Even in my state, I understood that. I didn't fight it, either. 

He reached to turn off the lamp for me, our bodies so far away. Before the light disappeared, I sighed. 

"We're not strangers," I told him, and he quickly turned to look at me. Even though he could somehow understand most of what I wanted to say through my eyes, I got that I needed to spell that one out for him. His confused eyes distracted me, and I couldn't think of a better way to say it, so I just did. Holding his gaze, I exhaled. 

"Will you hold me?" He seemed to understand in that moment, turning off the light quickly. He came closer to me than ever, holding me in his arms in a way I'd never been held before. 

And yet again, I began to fall asleep, comforted strangely by his not-yet-familiar touch. I didn't know much of where to go from there, broken to the core but feeling a unique sense of warmth in my heart.

All I knew is I didn't want to leave his arms. 

.

.

thanks to _BookLover_101 for requesting! sorry for the wait, but I hope you liked it! 

i really don't know if i can pull it off guys. 13 days to do 49. that's like more than 4 a day. i'm surprised i can even get one out each day. i need to be doing more. a lot more. 

sorry this one was a little depressing. winter is coming and the cold is a terrifyingly good agent and giving my good moods frostbite

Mel x 

it's already decemeber? wow