When I Asked (Request)

I ran up to the station, seeing that Niall was already there. I walked the rest of the way, hoping that I wasn't late.

I had woken up late that morning since Melody hadn't gotten up first. She was sick, but she could have woken me up. That made me late, and I'm pretty sure I looked like I had been in a tornado.

He was sitting on his phone as a train departed, most likely not ours. There was one time, however, that Niall completely missed that our train was leaving, and I was distracted.

"Am I late?" I asked, making him jump. He shook his head, running a hand through his hair and then over his face.

"You alright?" I wondered, sitting down next to him on a bench as we waited. It was unusually cold out that morning, but I didn't mind much. Niall was always naturally warm, so as I sat there, he warmed my right side.

"Just tired," he yawned, and I smiled. I had always found Niall quite cute, but I denied my feelings for him. I needed to focus on school and grades instead of relationships. We were almost out of high school, and I wanted to get into a good college.

I sighed as the wind pushed my hair around, and his head fell on my shoulder. My cheeks lit on fire, wondering what the heck he was doing. When he snored loudly in my ear, I released tension I didn't know had built up.

Our train to school pulled into the station, and I stood up, making him fall on ground.

"Hey!" he exclaimed as I stepped onto the train. I grabbed the pole, smiling.

"If you don't hurry, you'll be later than we already are," I told him, teasing. We actually were a few minutes late, the train, too. He got up, walking slowly to get on but rushing as the doors began to close.

"You could have woken me up nicely," he scowled, sitting down in a seat. I never sat down on the train, even if was mostly empty, feeling it better that I stood and was alert. It kept me awake and woke me up.

"You wouldn't have woken up." He shrugged, making me laugh.

I listened to some music as he dozed off again, and when we arrived, I considered leaving him. I grabbed his hand, pulling him up and running. If we didn't hurry, we'd be late for first period.

I hated the uniforms we had to wear; a button-up shirt and a skirt that really didn't fit me or do me justice. I got over it, except when I ran. I used my other hand to keep my skirt down, regretting my decision to run.

"Are you insane?" Niall yelled over the wind. I smiled.

"On a good day, yes," I shouted back, glancing back and seeing him smile. He squeezed my hand as we rounded the corner into the school yard. I slowed, letting go.

"Thanks for rushing me. I'll be moving pretty slowly," he sighed, fixing his hair. I did the same, making sure I hadn't dropped anything.

"Why are you so tired anyway?" I wondered. We entered the building, instantly warming up my fingertips and toes.

"I had a lot of last minute homework," he shrugged, stopping at his locker. I snorted, leaning against the locker.

"Of course you did, slacker," I smiled, and he groaned, mumbling about being hungry.

"Oh. Happy Birthday," he reminded me. My eyes widened. I had completely forgotten. I had been so late and rushed that I thought it was an ordinary day.

"Oh. Thanks," I smiled, the bell ringing in my ears not even a second afterwards.

"See you later!" I called, running off down the hallway. I didn't need to stop at my locker, but my first class was in an added extension of the school, and it took forever to get there.

All throughout the day, I heard people talking about how Niall was getting kicked out of classes for sleeping. I rolled my eyes, wondering how late he had been up. I didn't have any classes with him, but I wouldn't have hesitated to knock him in the head.

The birthday wishes were nice, and I also remembered I had needed to do something fancy with my hair or open the present from my mom on the counter.

It was a rather uneventful day, but I knew I would have a fun party later. Niall was coming straight over to my house to help decorate before everyone got there.

When the final bell rang, I sprinted to the gates of the school, waiting got Niall.

I waited for a long time, but I got tired, accepting that he wasn't coming. I figured he had something come up and would come later. He wouldn't answer his texts, but I wasn't worried.

Melody helped me decorate instead, and when the party started, Niall finally showed up. When I heard the knock, I knew it was him, and I shoved the Sharpie I was using in my pocket. We were nearly done decorating.

I punched him in the arm, a little annoyed that he had been acting so weird and then skipping on me and sleeping through school.

"What the heck, Niall?" I sighed, silently hoping he was alright inside. He sighed, too.

"I'm sorry I couldn't come. Truth is, last night I stayed up until three making your present," he shrugged, rubbing the back of his neck. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"You could've bought me a cookie, and I'd would've been fine. You didn't have to do that," I said, understanding everything. He inhaled slowly, giving me a big grin.

"You wanna see it, then?" I nodded excitedly, and he pulled me outside. A giant poster board leaned up against the side of my house, and I looked closer.

It had pictures of us together, each with a caption explaining them. When we had our first play-date, when we had a fight and broke bones because of it, and the first day of each grade together.

"That's so sweet, Niall-" I looked back at the board, seeing a blank space for a photo, with the caption saying 'when I asked.' I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Asked what? Did you forget one?" I wondered, and he blushed in the low light.

"When I asked you to be my girlfriend." I was still confused, but then I got it as he pulled out his phone to take a picture. Before he could move anymore, I took the Sharpie out of my pocket, drawing a box and writing one more caption; when she said yes.

.

.

thanks to Teresa550 for requesting this! so sorry for the wait, but i hope you liked it!

i wrote this one two days in advance wow

really though, i'm not going to have time to do anything else. i'll come home from school, wack out as many imagines as i can, publish two for that day, eat food and sleep and repeat. it's a really harsh system, and if one of my friends comes over, i'm screwed. ugh social life bye bye

but writing so many imagines like i used to do in the summer feels good. it makes me believe that i can actually succeed at something.

life sucks but you guys make it all better

Mel xx