Need

I wrote out another math problem, well aware of the procedure but feeling my fingers lose grip of the pencil. How had I gotten so distracted? I looked over towards the window from my bed, seeing the sunset and remembering how. 

Niall and I had been friends for a while, but the friend stage didn't last as long as the state we were in then. Each of us knew how much a relationship would get in the way of school. Those facts didn't stop me from daydreaming about him as I stared outside. The colors smeared across the sky made me think of how I felt when he talked to me; shaken. 

I looked down at the numbers on the paper, picking up my pencil, ready to get back to work. But I got interrupted once more, my brain randomly thinking about what would happen if he asked me on a date and, subsequently, how much I wanted that to happen. I put my head down on my knees, biting my tongue to hold back the smile that I knew would hurt my cheeks. 

I was about to put down my homework and daydream for a while longer when my phone rang. My nerves themselves jumped as I saw the caller on the screen. 

"Hello?" I almost yelled, picking it up without thinking. I wanted to talk to Niall. The phone beeped in my ear, the call already ended. I furrowed my eyebrows, wondering if he'd butt-dialed me or something. 

I went to text him, feeling a knot in my stomach when I thought about my previous daydreams, but I saw the typing bubble and stopped. Within two more seconds, a message was sent my way, and my eyes popped a little. 

I need your help.

I didn't know whether that meant with homework or something at home or whatever, but I got up off my bed and left almost immediately. 

I drove a little two fast down the roads in town, trying to get to his house quickly. The words picked at my brain, the clock ticking a little too fast. 

Quickly walking to the door, I rubbed my hands together as the air chilled around me. I'd gotten up in a rush, my hair still up messily, no jacket on, and pencil marks on the side of my hand from writing so much.

His mom pulled open the door, and the warmth I usually felt from their house felt stronger. I smiled a little, clearing my throat. 

"Hi," I greeted, my anxiety bubbling close to the edge. "I just need to talk to Niall about a project really quick, sorry." She smiled and said something about how it was a little late but that she was happy to let me in. I just wanted to get past her. 

I slipped off my shoes, bounding a little too fast up the stairs in bright pink socks. My heart was stuttering, but I managed to knock on his door. I heard a small noise, not sure if I'd just imagined it. pushing the door open against the carpeted floor. 

"Niall?" I spoke softly, seeing him on his bed where he usually liked to be. I felt a little relief until he looked up at me, his stature seeming to curl into him.

"Can you come here?" he asked shakily, the words tripping over themselves as they made their way to me. I made a point to be quiet, curious as I shushed my heart and closed the door, taking small steps towards him. 

I sat down in front of him, making a dent in his bed and glancing at the pile of papers and books on the nightstand beside us. I swallowed my own fears, looking up at him. He looked terrified, and I got a little mad at myself when I wondered if he was playing some sort of joke. 

"What's wrong?" I whispered, afraid of speaking any louder. He furrowed his eyebrows, uncrossing his legs and bringing them up to his chest. 

"I can't do it," he whimpered, making my stomach drop. I looked around a little, worried of saying something stupid. 

"What can't you do?" I continued, pulling my legs up onto the bed. He stared at his hands, and I wondered if they were shaking.

"Everything," he shrugged, looking confused and then angry, letting his head fall in between his knee caps. I regulated my breathing, feeling the silence grow in volume.

"I'm going to fail school, I can't find a job, I just. . ." he trailed off, his voice muffled slightly but still broken. I stared over at him, never having seen him so upset. 

"Can you breathe?" I wondered, seeing his chest rising and falling rapidly. He shrugged, keeping his head down. "Are you going to be okay?" I didn't know what else to say.

"I don't know," he told me loudly, looking up at me with red eyes. I felt myself plunge into helplessness, my stomach contracting nervously. I reached out and put a hand on top of his, seeing his eyes lock onto mine. 

"I want to help you," I spoke, almost harshly. When he grabbed my hand, tugging me towards him, I let him. He slid me closer to him, staring at me for a few seconds like he was looking for something before ducking his head and sticking his ear on my chest, a steadying hand on my thigh.

I felt my whole body light on fire, trying to breathe normally. After a minute or so, I began to calm down, trying to slow my heartbeat for the both of us. 

I heard him take a long breath in, lifting his head from my chest. I felt a slight blush return to my cheeks as out eyes met once more. 

"Thank you," he nodded, still so close to me. I mashed my lips together, looking down.

"I'm free anytime after school if you need help," I shrugged, staring down at my shirt. I heard a small laugh from him, wondering how those few minutes of a pair of pumping hearts had helped him so much. 

"I think I might need you a little more often than just after school," he spoke seriously, blinking at me. I hoped I completely understood what he was saying, nodding. 

Before I could open my mouth to speak, a smile slipped in there, my heart joining in on the excitement.

"If it's what you need," I nodded, ducking my head a little. As our smiles intertwined, I think we both realized the true difference between what we want and what we need. 

.

.

sorry for the re-post! i made a boo-boo somehow on the app but luckily i screenshotted the whole thing before it disappeared so i just had to quickly re type it ugh 

I love you all so much! I'm sorry I make empty promises :(

Melody xxxxxxx

pretty sure my crush only even remotely find me bearable .00000001% of the time so

PERFECT IS SO GOOD