Better (Part One)

Niall was always one to wake up grumpy; I would stay in his guest room while we were getting to know each other, and in the morning I had to be extra nice. Anything otherwise would result in a termination of our friendship.

I lived an hour away from him, so I would get up and make breakfast in the morning. The very first time, he had yelled at me to make something for him while I was still in bed.

I learned from that mistake.

He would eat the food I made quietly, scrolling through Twitter and Instagram on his phone until he was done. By then he was usually in a better mood, but he usually didn't bother doing his hair or changing from what he had worn to bed. He was not a morning person.

I understood completely when he yelled at me. Everyone had flaws, and as his friend, I had to accept that or hit the road.

But, over the year that we knew each other, we grew closer and closer, and one night, he finally told me how he felt. It was a relief to hear because I had been struggling to figure out the extent of my feelings for him. So we tried out dating for a while.

Honestly, it was so much better than before. For the first few weeks, he treated me to cute, well thought-out dates, and I felt completely infatuated with him. I didn't have any idea how everything would work out between us, but one trip to his house answered that question.

It was the first time I was staying over at his house since we'd gotten together.

I pulled my overnight bag off the couch and towards the guest room out of habit. I began taking a few of my things out, feeling right at home.

"(Y/N)?" Niall spoke up. I glanced back at him, smiling.

"I'm thinking of grilling up some salmon for dinner," I answered, thinking that was what he was getting at.

"No, I. . ." I turned to meet his gaze, but his eyes only flitted quickly away from mine.

"I wanted to ask you to sleep with me," he finished, and I watched his eyes widened as mine did the same.

"I mean! Like, just sleep," he explained, and I gave up on trying not to laugh. I let out a giggle before shoving everything back into my bag.

"Of course I will," I smiled, grinning even wider when he took my hand and led me to his room. I put my bag down when he kissed me lightly and unexpectedly. Our small, short pecks on the lips hadn't really meant more than 'I'm enjoying spending time with you,' so the bigger stuff awaited us in the future.

"Salmon sounds perfect," he beamed, and the butterflies turned to full blast in my stomach.

.

After dinner, we were both happily filled and tired. Long days at work resulted in lots of ranting to each other about idiots and mutual agreement to build a time machine to go back to high school.

"I'm exhausted," he complained when I told him to do the dishes. I laughed, reminding him of our agreement.

"You said we'd switch out each time," I grinned, pleased with myself. He furrowed his eyebrows, switching off the water.

"Didn't I do it last time?" he wondered, and I snorted at his forgetfulness at low levels of sleep.

"Do you not remember what happened last time I was here?" I had been having a bad day that day, and that only increased when I dropped two of Niall's glass plates and shattered them -- while doing the dishes.

He smiled at me, nodding as we both remembered.

"You still haven't bought me new ones," he shrugged, putting a few cups in the dishwasher.

"I'm waiting until Christmas; it's right around the corner," I told him, bringing our dishes to the sink.

"Go jump in bed, babe," he spoke, bumping my hip with his own as I stood at his side. I kissed his cheek, running to change into some comfortable pajamas. It was winter, so my heating should have been on in my house, but my job paid crap. So I kept it very low most of the time. And when Niall's house was toasty warm, I felt it appropriate to dress like that was how the weather was outside, too.

I put on shorts and a big, loose tank top, plugging in my phone and taking the mascara I had thrown on before driving to Niall's house earlier that day. I slipped under the covers of his bed, seeing why he woud never want to leave it. I had never set foot in his room before, but I liked it. The colors flowed nicely, and I liked the overall feel of it; home.

The bed was softer than any bed I had ever and would ever sleep on, so I pushed myself further into the pillow and waited for the door to open. The sheets encompassing me smelled like him, and I wondered if I really deserved to be with someone like him.

After a little while, the lights in the hall shut off, and he came in. I squeezed my eyes shut, wondering if he would buy that I was already asleep. I heard him switch on the lamp by his side of the bed, and my right eye popped open to watch him pull off his shirt. I closed it once again, wanting him to have his privacy. My job, especially while I was at his house, was to not get in the way.

He brushed his teeth in the bathroom that was connected to the room, which I had completely overlooked, and then pulled open the covers.

For some reason, I expected him to wrap me in his arms and cradle me to sleep. I thought it would be like the movies where our bodies fit perfectly with another like it was meant to be.

But he turned off the lamp, slipped into bed, and everything was silent.

Maybe pretending to be asleep was the wrong approach, or he was tired, or he wasn't ready like I was, or maybe I was just expecting too much. I let those thoughts run through my head, also reminding myself that he valued his sleep.

I forced myself to sleep quicker once I realized that I was much more disappointed than I wanted to be.

.

.

part two soon babes

BUT IS THIS NOT EXCITING?! BOOK 2?! YASSSS

sadly, i could not continue to push my first book higher, but i'll get over it. i hope

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR READING! PLEASE REQUEST IF YOU'D LIKE AN IMAGINE, but do keep in mind i have 40 requests on the queue D: scary i know

Mel xxxxxxxxxxxxxx