9/11 (Request) (Part Two)

BEFORE YOU READ: On September 11, 2001, two terrorist planes deliberately crashed into the Twin Towers in New York City. We take this day to remember those who died.

The attack is a very touchy topic, and i don't know much about it, so please excuse anything i get wrong. i don't mean to offend anyone. please read at your own risk. it would also be great if you could read the first part for a little backstory x

.

Fourteen years later, we stood in the same place. 

Our daughter was twelve, and our little boy was nine, but we had told them before. We'd told them about the day that no one would forget.

I held her hand as we walked down the same street we'd nearly died on. My heart was overheating just thinking about it. I looked over at Niall, just to see if he was still there. His eyes stared up at the new tower in place of the old two.

As the memorial came into view, I felt my heart sink. The beauty of the memory of that tragedy burned itself into my eyes. I could see the names as we continued on towards it, the hole in the ground seeming larger than the buildings had been.

I stopped in front of the black stone, my daughter's hand releasing from mine as she walked forward to touch the letters carved there.

I felt a little dizzy, looking to Niall as the tears came. He immediately hugged me, his hands keeping me close.

"I'm so glad you're alive," I sobbed, and he tried to soothe me.

"They wouldn't be if I wasn't," he spoke softly, referring to the two wonderful kids we'd had. I cried for a little longer, letting go and kissing him like it would be the last time.

I too stepped forward to touch the names of those who'd lost their lives that day. I tried to imagine what it would have been like if he'd been among them, but the thought took me deeper than the crater I stared into.

Instead, I focused on smiling for what I had. My children were next to me, and so was the man I loved.

September 11, 2015

.

.

I wrote this as a small memorial for those who died in 9/11. I'm truly sorry to anyone who has been affected by it. My prayers and thoughts go to you today.

I didn't write this to act as an offence to anyone. I just wanted to take today to remember those who lost their lives and the security we have that can now better prevent a similar attack.

thanks again to Sky_Elizabeth for requesting. I hope you liked it, babe.

thank you all for reading. I hope you have a relaxing weekend. Be safe. I love you.

Melody xx

p.s. it's also my one year anniversary for reaching one million reads! thank you all so much for that, as well.