Twins (Request)

I'd had to drive myself to the hospital, but that wasn't why I was upset. Niall was stuck at work with no idea when he would be able to come and watch the birth of our twins. We'd kept their gender a secret until afterwards, just happy to know we'd have two little children, one for the both of us.

I tried to comfort myself with those happy thoughts, worrying about whether or not Niall would be there for the birth, the first of our marriage.

As hours passed, I grew more and more anxious as the contractions increased. When the time finally came, I was a little ticked off that Niall couldn't get off of work for his wife having a baby.

The labor was harder and longer than I expected, exhausting me to the point where I almost gave up. But I persevered, imagining how utterly delighted Niall would be.

When I was finally finished, sweaty and panting, I smiled. It was finally over, but it was just beginning.

I stared over at the two of them getting taken care of, watching them cry and scream like I had just moments earlier.

"They're girls," the nurse spoke to me, facing them as they squirmed. I felt my heart take up one more challenge. I needed it to be strong for how happy I was becoming.

And if my joy could be overfilled, it was right then, right as Niall walked through the door.

His face looked like it always did, tired and worn out from working. But as our eyes met, the cries of our new baby girls bouncing off the walls, we both grinned just like we had when we'd exchanged our vows. These are the moments we'd dreamed of living.

He rushed towards me, quickly kissing me and making sure I was okay before watching over the little ones.

As the tensions died down, Niall sat beside me and rubbed the back of my hand, waiting for the opportunity to hold what we'd created.

The nurse ran to get a clean washcloth, and I stared over at them finally, without her being in the way.

I blinked happily until I noticed the baby on the left. Her chest hadn't moved since I'd set my eyes on her.

"Uh, I think something is wrong," I called out to everyone and no one. She breathed a stuttering burst of air into her lungs, but I was unconvinced.

The nurse walked back over calmly, glancing at me and continuing her work like she hadn't heard me. But just as I was about to say something or move, she spoke out.

"Doctor," she spoke loudly, and I felt my heart begin beating again, rapidly and confused.

The doctor rushed over, and before we knew it, everyone went into panic mode. I caught a few passing phrases, including "collapsed lung," "heart failing," and after that, I knew I was in for something else.

Niall's eyes had widened, forcing mine to do the same as they filled with tears. I didn't want to believe or even think about what was happening.

As the shouting heightened, I felt my own chest stutter.

And as the noise died down, I realized what was about to happen.

The nurse turned to me with heavy eyes, shaking her head. No words were needed to set me into hysteria.

I sobbed as Niall squeezed me into his chest. I felt all too numb, I tried to push the situation out.

But as my cries too calmed, I was able to hold my newest daughter. One half of a whole, but one thousand times better than nothing.

I held her tighter than I thought was possible, Niall right as my side as I felt a small part of me collapse.

I'd always wanted twins.

.

.

thanks to  for requesting! Thank you for the unique request so I can improve my writing skills :)

I just realized that to finish this book in time for December 15th (two year anniversary of starting my first imagines book and one year anniversary of ending the first one) I have to post twice daily. So I'll try my hardest!

Can you believe that after the next few requests, I'll be starting my third book

holy crap

OKAY IM SORRY THIS WAS SAD BUT I LOVE YOU OKAY BYE

Mel xx