Okay (Request)

The most that had ever happened between us was a good laugh every couple weeks or so between classes. I hadn't imagined him to go that far for me.

I didn't keep many promises, but that was a little different. I hid the bruises under my clothing and didn't have many friends over to my house. It would be too obvious. Too dangerous.

No one could know what happened at home. Not with all of what could await me.

But one day, Niall saw. Out of all people, it had to be him.

I had just come from gym, and it was a little too warm to be wearing a jacket t the moment. I rushed to my next class so I could cool off before putting it back on, but he had gotten there earlier.

I hadn't noticed him in the back of the classroom and the teacher was turned away at her desk. I pulled the jacket up over my exposed skin from my tank top, sighing.

"Hey," I heard his voice, and I jumped out my skin completely. I turned to look at him, becoming whiter than a sheet and hoping he hadn't seen.

"Come here," he spoke, his face neutral. I chuckled like I wasn't more terrified than I was most nights.

I stepped quietly over to him, and he gripped my arm tightly. I flinched, and luckily he had missed the bruises on that arm. I stared at him for a few seconds, furrowing my eyebrows.

"What's wrong?" I wondered, and he let go of me slowly.

"Why do you have so many bruises?" he asked bluntly. I felt my heart pick up again, and I didn't know if I could handle it. If I got too worked up, I got really dizzy.

"What you mean these?" I chuckled, lifting both of my sleeves only a little to show the ones on the inner parts of my forearm. "I play volleyball with my sister after school." I was lying, but I had every right to.

"Oh," he let out, sounding relieved, but not looking convinced.

"She wants to try out for the team next year," I added, smiling at little as the pulsing in my ears quieted.

"Cool," he grinned, and I turned to walk away.

But he wasn't done with me. At the end of the day, since our lockers were close, I saw him again.

"Hey," he smiled as I grabbed my textbook from the top of my locker.

"Have a good day," I told him, wanting out.

"I have a quick question," he called to me, and I heard rustling paper as I turned around.

"It's about math," he continued, and I stepped right into his airspace again.

"It's about how many bruises it takes for me to know something is wrong. Because I don't think it's many, but you seem to think otherwise," he spoke softly, his voice nearly lost among all of the others.

I felt my heart stop, unsure whether to accelerate or give up all together.

"Niall, I-" I began, feeling the tears choke my throat closed. I stood still as not to draw attention, but I let the tears fall. I was helpless. I really had no idea what to do.

"How can I help?" he started, and I was a little surprised then. I stared at him, the sobbing controlling my chest and all the breath I had.

"It's useless," I cried, attracting stares quickly. If he told anyone, my life would shrivel further and further until I burned up under the hot stares of everyone.

He pulled me into his arms momentarily, grabbing my hand as soon as he let me go and pulling me into the girls bathroom and locking the door.

He didn't waste time, hugging me immediately after the lock clicked.

"I'm sorry," he exhaled, and I nearly felt safe. How had he known exactly what was happening to me?

"You can't tell anyone," I told him, selfishly desperate for my own safety. It was all I had.

"But we have to get you help," he urged me, pulling away to lock our eyes together. He looked overly concerned.

"You can't!" I nearly yelled, shaking my head and holding back the sobs.

"It will never stop if we don't tell someone," he tried to tell me. I wasn't having it. I shook my head and buried it in his chest, feeling like I was ripping myself apart from the inside.

"Please," I began to sob again, holding a fistful of his shirt. He was silent for a long time, letting me cry before eventually pulling me back against him.

"I'll keep it a secret," I heard him say. I looked up at him, noticing how close we were.

"Really?" I spoke out, relieved. He took a shaky breath.

"For now," he added, and I frowned at him. He lifted one of my arms, balancing my wrist on his fingertips and gently pulling the jacket off my shoulder. He stared down at it, and I imagined the disgusted thoughts running through his head. I didn't want to cry anymore, but I was mostly out anyway.

Niall removed the rest of the jacket from my arm, silent. I breathed so heavily I thought everyone would be able to hear. I didn't want any secrets out. None at all.

As I was about to cry again at how upset he looked, he lifted my arm a little and made his lips meet halfway, pressing his warmth to a bruise.

My heart made a different stutter, and it surprised me when he continued. When he landed on my shoulder, I felt so red that I thought maybe my bruises would turn that color, too.

"I'm sorry," he breathed close to my face. I felt the imprint of his lips on my skin, wondering if they would remain.

"I want you to be okay," he said to me, not meeting my eyes for the first time since we'd met. But he wasn't red like me.

"I'm okay for right now," I admitted, watching as he slid the jacket back onto my arm so gently that maybe it wasn't really there.

"I want you to be okay forever," he sighed, letting my hand fall to my side and finally looking at me once more.

I couldn't tell what my heart was doing anymore, but I took his hand in mine.

"Okay, or not, it's between you and me," I spoke, inferring a promise was to be made. His stare didn't waver, his breathing a little rusty when he finally answered.

"Okay."

.

.

thanks to NiallerPuppy for requesting!

oh man this one woowee

I LOVE YOU ALL HAHA LIFE IS A ROLLERCOASTER IN TOO MANY WAYS

Mel x

p.s. I dream about him too much