Eye Contact (Request)

I listened to the notes the director played on the piano, humming quietly along to make sure I could remember it for next time.

"Alright, sopranos, let's try this," she told us, and I sat up a little straighter.

We were working on a few old classics in choir along with a few Christmas songs for the upcoming holiday season.

We sang the notes lightly, and I was thankful that the people in my section could actually sing. I'd encountered a few people in choir a few years previous that had thrown me off and almost made me quit choir all together. Plus, Melody was there to keep me sane that year.

I sat back in my chair as the director began to work with the tenors, and I glanced at Mel just as she turned to me.

"Niall was just staring at you," she whispered urgently. I furrowed my eyebrows, quickly flipping my head back around to see him patiently waiting as the director instructed them.

"Why?" I wondered, blinking rapidly at the thought. Why Niall?

"I don't know," she spoke, surprised. "He watched you while you sang." I looked down for a second, thinking.

I didn't really pay much attention to him, but I was aware he was alive. He seemed really nice and smart, but the amount of contact we had was limited. And yeah, he was cute, but nothing ever clicked in any way. So, right then I wondered if it was starting to, or maybe I was looking too much into it.

But despite whatever was happening, I wanted to have a little fun with it.

I waited until they began to sing, intently staring at him and seeing if he would notice.

She then moved onto the altos, leaving me to feel a little disappointed that he hadn't noticed. I was turning to look away when he grabbed my gaze, pulling my head back in his direction. He quickly looked away, leaving my heart to start to wonder what it should be doing for the first time.

I felt Mel tap my arm, looking to see that she was also a little excited.

"Did you see that?" I wondered, and she nodded vigorously. I bit my tongue. Did I want to entertain that excitement further, feeding feelings that I had yet to discover?

I knew how I was. When a guy stirred even a few feelings in me, it was very much up for discussion whether I liked him or not. I liked people who made me feel good.

So I decided I would see where it went for the ten minutes of class we had.

We finally began to sing the song as a whole, seeing it come together nicely. Just as we got to the end, I realized I could see him from the corner of my eye.

I looked, letting our eyes meet again. We both continued singing, almost in a war of who would look away first. I wondered if he liked me, bringing up the question of whether I should feel the same. It was running through my head wildly. All these thoughts gathered in my cheeks, turning them red without permission.

I finally let my eyes flit away, the prolonged eye contact leaving me with even more questions.

I drew a line for my eyes, telling myself not to look past the director. I sensed myself getting closer and closer to the edge of falling into liking him, telling myself no. I didn't want to like him going off of nothing. But then I only started coming up with excuses to let myself begin to, realizing if I wanted it that badly, I would do it.

So I finally looked at him again, the class coming to a close. He was chuckling at his friends, watching them joke around. I felt my heart begin to swell, hurting my chest and making me smile.

I couldn't look away, thinking about what would happen if he did like me, denying that he did, and then thinking about it again anyway.

And then he looked over at me, a simple gesture but having come to mean so much more. Already seeing the light of a smile on my lips, he lit up, grinning at me and lifting his hand. When he waved me over, I almost felt dizzy, standing up without telling my legs to do so. But I did want to.

Just as he opened his mouth to speak, I tried to memorize the expression on his face, the light in his eyes, the way he held himself. I wanted to watch him from then on to see if the way he acted around me was different.

Because I really liked him.

.

.

thanks to CatrinaHemphill for requesting! sorry for the wait, but I hope you like it!

i have 28 days to write 60 imagines HAHAH IM SO STRESSED

I love you all! wish me luck and motivation!

Mel x

p.s. this was inspired by something that happened to me lol