Cute (Request)

"I really like her," I sighed, realizing I had said that out loud a little too loud. Thank the heavens it was only Harry who heard me. He already knew, but I had only told him once, and it had been several months previous.

"You're an idiot," he laughed, leaning back in his chair. I rolled my eyes, trying to brush it off that I was embarrassed.

"Do you see her glasses? She's so cute," I continued, not really caring that he thought I was stupid. "And the way she carries her books. Did you see that one time she dropped them in the hall? Even though I felt terrible, she looked so cute," I rambled, looking at him after I finished. He slapped his hand down on my shoulder.

"You're obsessed," he nodded, looking at me like I was crazy. I smiled, watching her walk out of the library.

"It's not even that," I breathed out, leaning back in my chair. "I almost never see her, but I've liked her for so long."

"Then go ask her to the dance or something," he seemed to joke. I disregarded the suggestion, but then a bell went off in my head.

"Good idea!" I grinned, grabbing my books before taking off down the hallway to find her. Dances were a good way to bond, or so I'd heard.

Everyone knew me as the amazing football player, the one who was completely devoted and never messed up. But my friends, my real friends, knew me as the loud, annoying, stupid guy who happened to like football enough to get farther than most. I kept up my reputation, and that included not going to dances or having girlfriends. I convinced everyone that my life was football and only that. And I almost believed it myself.

But then Annie came along.

She changed me, perhaps for the better. But she was different than most girls. She knew every answer to every question, every solution to every problem. She was the cutest, smartest girl I had ever met.

And since she was able to answer every question correctly, I knew that if I asked her to the dance, she would make the right decision for both of us.

"Annie!" I exclaimed, seeing her turn to meet my eyes. The hallway was empty due to the fact that our free period was during no one else's.

As soon as I had her attention, I remembered exactly why I had never asked her before. Before I was in sports, I was really shy. I told everyone that was because I had nothing to be passionate about, but I liked a lot of things that no one else did. I knew how Annie would feel about jocks like me, and that was one reason I had never talked to me much.

Another was I could never really explain my feelings. It was hard for me, so I knew it would backfire if I tried that with her.

But as I stood in front of her, all of the stayed in the back of my mind. I knew what I wanted to say, and I knew I needed to say it.

"Would you like to go to the dance?" I spoke, a little louder than I thought it would be.

Her mouth fell closed, already having been slightly open from confusion.

"With me," I added, nodding. Her hand slapped over her mouth, and I thought she was going to laugh at me. Her cheeks turned pink, and her eyes no longer met mine.

She was silent, looking down at the ground and making me wonder if I had broken her will to speak.

"I-I'm sorry," I stammered, stepping a little closer to her. She shook her head, twisting a strand of hair in her fingers briefly. She took a small breath which sounded like the first one since I had started speaking.

"It's okay," she breathed, sounding defeated. I sighed, knowing that I shouldn't have expected a good reaction.

"I thought you'd have an answer. You always have an answer for the question," I smiled lightly, my heart slowing down from its previous speed.

She clenched her jaw slightly, almost looking mad.

"You caught me off guard, that's all," she retorted quietly, and I figured it out. She didn't like not knowing how to answer something, and that was exactly what I had done to her.

"It's not fun not knowing the solution, huh," I slightly smirked, and she started to get red again. She pushed up her glasses, reminding me how insanely cute she looked.

"The only thing you need to know, Niall," she glared, almost jokingly. I let my hands drop to my sides, surprised that she even remembered my name.

"Is that the dance is girls ask guys," she smirked, walking away proudly.

.

.

thanks to AnnieSweetPaynez16 for requesting! I hope you liked it and sorry for the wait!

things really have picked up pace at school and I'm always exhausted and I get this thought in my head that I can do whatever I want when I get home. That should not be the case, and that's why nothing's been getting done

I'm so sorry, but I do love you all very much! Thanks for making me so happy :)

Mel xx

p.s. really didn't know what to call this one