Started (Request)

a/n; the parts in italics are flashbacks ;D enjoy x

.

I glanced over at him, chuckling as he dropped an ingredient for our cookies again. I rolled my eyes and looked back to what I was doing. He made a groaning noise, and I gazed over in his directions.

With flour on his hands, he reached for something in his pocket, and for the briefest of moments, I thought about if he were to propose to me right then. I'd really been seeing hints and signs about it, but I left him alone. If we wanted to do it, I knew he would want to do it in his own due time. 

So I looked away to stop myself from wishing so hard for him to do it. I finished putting something in the bowl when everything seemed to go into slow motion. I began to remember how all of it started. 

The day Niall and I had met each other, I'd slapped him in the face. It was second grade, but he had stolen my crayon, so I think it was justified. 

We had a love-hate relationship from that point forward, but at some point, probably around middle school, it'd started to lean towards one or the other more frequently. I could never decide how I felt about him. He would give me mixed signals, and I would feel them right back. It was completely confusing, but I was still growing up, still learning. 

Throughout high school, we started to just be complete friends, helping each other through classes and hanging out on lazy Saturday mornings. It was just fun to be around him. He energy was completely bright and warm, and I loved it. 

But when the decision about college came around, I could tell that neither of us wanted to anywhere but to stay right where we were. I juggled the idea around with my parents, and he seemed even more unsure about it, until I came up with a conclusion one night. 

The conversation, to the best of my memory, went something like this; 

"Hey, Niall?" I spoke up, tossing my deck of cards on top of all of the one's I'd just won, including the game. He groaned, glaring up at me. 

"What is it?" he deadpanned at me. I felt my heart pound at the thought I'd just conceived, holding it in my hands as it grew and grew and the possibilities and endless fun continued to swirl in my palms. 

"What if we got an apartment together for a while?" I suggested, putting my thoughts on the table for him to see, too. I saw the ideas circling in his brightening blue eyes as I finished speaking. 

"And do what?" The question was more of what wouldn't we do, I thought. I held back my grin, breathing in. 

"Well if it were somewhere in the city, we could find a job and hang out at night?" I shrugged, and his eyes got a new hue to them. I'd learned to admire them previously, but never as much as right then.

"Would our parents let us?" he wondered, and I honestly laughed. 

"Who cares what they say? It's our life now," I told him, the smile pushing through to the surface. That word, our, rang in my ears for a few seconds, making my stomach pinch together. I was back in that time of my life where I really couldn't decide if I liked him more than the best friends we were. 

"Let's get started, then," he said, and we did. 

And after that, I really did start to get a hold on how I felt for him. We worked through everything right up until we'd dropped our bags on that apartment floor. Then we set everything on cruise control. 

We loved our jobs, and our apartment was cheap despite being one of the nicer one's I'd ever seen. The nights we spent together were long and almost too much fun. Sometimes the noise complaints would come with an extra bit of malice. 

And then one day, he started talking about traveling the world. He had mentioned it a couple times, but then it started to get serious. He started to wrap up the money, and he wanted to do something that he would really enjoy and get something out of. And even though I wanted the best for him, it hurt to think that he would be away for so long. 

The day he left, I went to the airport with him. 

I stood by his side until the voice announced his impending departure. I nearly broke down in his arms, speaking a little I love you in his ear and thinking he would dismiss it as a small sob. 

"I need to ask you something really quick," he told me, releasing me from his arms. I held back my tears because he probably wanted to make sure I'd water the plants or clean his room or something like that. 

"Will you be my girlfriend?" I had almost said an annoyed yes as a prepared answer, but my throat got stuck staring right at him. He was completely serious. 

"Your bags are in the car, and if you get them now, we can go together," he spoke quickly and nervously. I couldn't and didn't believe it. 

"Together," he said again, reminding me how much I really had grown to love him. 

"Don't leave without me," I spoke, turning to run back to the car. I'd answered him without even saying the words. And his eyes lit up again. 

"Are you kidding? I'm coming with you!" he exclaimed, dropping everything to race next to me. 

That was the first time I'd wanted to tell him I love him. 

And continuing from the beginning of my story, I would want to tell him I loved him every time I would think about him proposing to me. But he hadn't. 

Until that day. I came out my slow motion and heard something hit the floor, again. I looked right down and saw him on one knee, with a ring box covered in the flour from his hands. 

Immediately, I felt as panicked as I had that day at the airport. Everything seemed rushed, but as I turned to him, I remembered turning to run to the car. I was willing to drop everything to go with him. 

I was willing to drop everything to marry him. I'd been with him for the majority of my life. I'd grown up with him and been with him everyday for as long as I could remember. The rest of my life would be right back on cruise control. 

And I was more than ready to get started. 

.

.

thanks to NinaRofa even though I have no idea where you went! Hope you liked it anyway :)

aw i liked this one 

SORRY FOR THE BAD UPDATES WOW UGH SORRY SCHOOL AKTJNGLSDKGN

Mel xx

p.s. my crush thooo