Favor

I smiled and thanked the man at the door, stepping around the group of little kids walking up to the door as I left. I was getting a little old for trick-or-treating, but I still enjoyed it. My sister was sick, so I agreed to give most if not all of my earned candy to her when she felt better.

So, as the sun set, my bag filled up, the temperatures dropping. I trudged on somewhat tiredly, making a circle out of the neighborhoods and a route back to my house.

I'd dressed up as a woman from the 1940's, thinking it would be easy enough but still going all out. I loved the passion so many people had for Halloween, so taking part excited me.

I was walking silently, thinking my bag was getting a little heavy, when I suddenly thought about school. My heart took a breath and ran forward, my immediate thoughts going to Niall. He hadn't really caught my eye until that previous Monday when I'd been struggling on my math. However, I had noticed how smart he seemed in class, shouting out answers like they were obvious.

After class that day, I approached him, his friends departing to their lockers and leaving him alone. I caught up to him, matching his pace.

"Can you do me a favor?" I spoke up, seeing him jump a little and meet my eyes. When I told him my problem, he nodded.

"I could help you right now," he suggested since we both had lunch that period. I shrugged, happy he would help me so willingly. Except for his loud, optimistic personality in class, I didn't really know him. I'd hoped he would help me, glad when he agreed.

So we headed down to the library together, and I took out my math. By the end of the period, I knew that I would come to have a crush on him. His bright eyes and wide smile were captivating, and his personality shone through even the smallest of phrases. He seemed like a really great person, I'd just never sat and been with him before.

As the week went on, I found myself spotting him in a crowd before anyone else, even catching myself doing the same as I trick-or-treated that Halloween night.

I smiled as I recounted that week's event, hopeful for the future because I knew I would need more help with math.

Suddenly, someone fell in my line of sight, and I froze for a second, watching them fall to the ground. I rushed over, seeing that he was alone and wondering if he was alright.

"Are you okay?" I wondered, hearing him hiss in pain. In the dark light, I saw him lift his leg from a hidden hole under the fallen leaves on the grass and groan a little under his breath.

"I think I might've," he started, moving his leg closer to his body. "Broken my ankle." I nodded, crouching down next to him. I glanced at his face, wondering if I knew him, seeing him wearing a Captain America costume and kind of chuckling. He sounded my age.

"Do you need help?" He nodded, and I stood to lift him. He got on his feet and made another noise of pain as people passed behind us on the sidewalk.

"Definitely did something," he spoke, gritting his teeth. His mask covered most of his face, but I could tell he was in pain.

"Where is your house?" I wondered. He shifted weight off his injured foot.

"Not far," he told me, and I nodded, standing by his side. "You don't have to help." I shrugged, and he put his arm around my shoulders. As we began to walk, I thought about how our costumes almost went together, since he was Captain America and all. I smiled a little.

He pointed out which way to walk when we would encounter an intersection, probably in too much pain to speak. He finally pointed down a walkway to some steps, his weight becoming heavier and heavier as both of our strengths diminished.

I let him down on the steps as I breathed out loudly, happy that he was alright. He slipped off his mask, finally letting me see his face in the light of his porch. When I learned who it was, I froze a little, continuing to watch the person I'd help get home.

"Ahh, man," he let out, sounding in pain. How had I not recognized his voice?

When he finally looked up at me, seeing my face in the light for the first time as well, he seemed really confused. I blinked at him, trying to make sure I wouldn't make that mistake again. I'd want to recognize him even just hearing one word from him.

He looked down, laughing a little and running a hand through his hair.

"Niall," I let out, not really sure what to say after that. His name had just come out.

"You should have told me it was you, especially with that costume. I wouldn't have let my ankle hurt this much," he breathed out, and I furrowed my eyebrows. He wasn't making much sense, plus I was just listening to his voice, not the words it was saying.

"Are you going insane or something? Do you want me to get your mom?" I asked, stepping closer to him.

"No," he chuckled, sighing and looking up at me for a few seconds more before signaling for me to sit down. I sat next to him, placing both hands on my knees.

I began to think that his ankle probably was broken and that he was probably going into shock. I wondered if his parents were even home, only seeing the porch light on.

"I need to help you," I let out, turning to look at him. "What can I do?"

He opened his mouth to speak, looking right towards me but not meeting my concerned gaze. He closed it again, smiling a little before poking my left hand that rested on my knee and leaving his hand to hover above mine. I looked towards my hand, hearing his voice once more.

"Can you. . ." he started, and I hoped he wasn't passing out, wondering if he really had broken his ankle.

Without any warning, he lifted my hand from my leg and slid his fingers in between mine, suddenly pushing all thoughts about his ankle out of my mind.

Normally I would be telling any other guy to stop touching me, but right then, my brain wouldn't even begin to compute those words.

Once again to my surprise, he brought my hand to his lips and kissed it, making my heart beat violently against my ribs. He let his hand drop down onto his own leg, acting like it belonged there as I heard him inhale.

"Can you do me a favor?" he finally got out, and I felt my eyes widen. He looked up at me with his bright eyes and smiled.

"Can you stop being so absolutely gorgeous?" It was at that moment, that the door opened, revealing his mom.

"Niall?" she called. His hand slipped from mine as he turned to look at her.

Shocked, I turned to her as well, my voice shaking as I explained what happened. She nodded, helping Niall stand up and go inside. I stood up myself, brushing off my skirt and fixing my hair on my shoulders as busy work for my hands, one of which had just been held by my newfound crush.

I met his already-staring gaze just before Niall closed the door, my heart once again exploding.

"Goodbye," he grinned, and I finally found the will to make my mouth work as well.

"Bye," I replied, watching him close the door.

And the only favor I could do myself was to smile, knowing things would be a lot better off from there on out.

.

.

Happy Halloween! I hope you all had a safe and fun holiday! 

I always really love doing a special imagine for holidays, so i hope you all liked this one :) 

sorry for the break in updates this week! i'll try to be better next week, but we'll see how that goes xD 

I posted my third book for imagines! third book already oh my gosh. all that's in it right now is my policy, but if you wouldn't mind looking that over, I'd really appreciate it :) 

I love you all! Thank you for being so so so wonderful and helpful 

Mel xx

p.s. i'm so tired all this medicine omg