Leave (Request)

I had accidentally fallen asleep on the couch when I was waiting for him to get home. When I woke up, I was able to hear the car pulling into the garage. I rubbed at my eyes, cursing towards myself that I hadn't made dinner since I'd dozed off. 

The door pushed open, and I saw his figure come through. From the way he walked in -- his shoulders had lowered by many degrees, there was no light in his eyes, and he stared at the ground like it was staring back -- I knew something was wrong. 

I looked up at him, my heartbeat slowing so I could hear him better. 

"Zayn left," he whispered, and I felt my whole body slump in defeat. "I mean, we knew he wanted to, but he really did it." I saw how broken he was, rising from the couch I was on and reaching to pull him into my arms. "How could he leave?" he let out after a few moments of deafening silence. As we stood there for a while, I wondered if he would cry, but he never did. I didn't know how to comfort him, but I tried. 

For a few weeks after that, he stayed home. He didn't really do much else other than sleep. I left him alone in our room and busied myself with chores so he could be alone. I gave out on the second day, partly because of the aura of despair in the house. I would sit in the living room sobbing because I didn't know how to help Niall get through it. 

He must have noticed my red eyes as I came in to bed all those nights. He would simply turn off the television and lay down next to me, but he never said anything until one day. 

I was vacuuming up the crumbs of a plate of food I'd dropped because the tears in my eyes had blurred my vision so much when he walked in. I hadn't seen him up much in the past few days, and I hadn't heard his voice other than to reply with what he wanted to eat, which was never much. 

"Why are you crying?" he asked me, his voice hoarse. I looked over at him, finishing putting the vacuum back. I thought for too long, wondering if he looked mad or if it was just the light or his lack of eating. 

"You seem awful concerned with Zayn since. . ." he spoke, glancing down at the ground a few times after he'd trailed off. "And although I don't like to see you cry, you don't cry over me as much as you have with this." I blinked a few times, wondering what he was trying to say. "And, I don't know, I just feel like he's more important to you." He stared at me, waiting for an answer as my heart sighed with me. I let my answer come out a little too desperately. I didn't want him to feel more sad at the thought that I'd liked Zayn in that way, but it was too late. To make up for that, my voice came out quick and anxious. 

"It's not like that," I hurried loudly. His expression turned from angry to utterly destroyed within seconds. 

"Then what is it like? What am I supposed to feel?" he asked me, his voice beginning to shake, probably from the lack of usage. 

"How could you do this to me when I'm in so much pain that I don't want to do anything but lie around?" he shouted, and my heart collapsed with me as I fell to the ground, my palms smacking the kitchen tile. 

I let the tears begin once more, biting my lip to try to keep from sobbing. He didn't move, stood there in front of me as the sadness wracked my body. When my lungs received air again, I spoke, more desperate than the last time.

"That's just it, Niall," I let out, letting my hair fall and cover my face. "I don't know what to do for you because of this. I don't like Zayn in the way that you think," I sighed, shaking my head vigorously. "I just don't know how to comfort you when it's been so hard." I breathed in shakily, going to look up at him but seeing him sitting down in front of me. His eyes were red but lacked tears, and I had to wipe my tears to get a better read on his expression. When I looked back at him, he was smiling at me. I let my eyes widen completely, a few extra tears falling. 

"I didn't know you cared so much," he let out quietly. I felt my heart break again but because of another emotion, and I let out a small and uncontrollable smile, too. 

"Who do you think I am?" I chuckled, crawling closer to him. He was about to answer when I hugged him, stopping his words. I sat on his lap, my arms behind his head and held back more tears. I hadn't hugged him that hard in a long time, but it felt really good. It was almost indescribable, the way I felt when I hugged him. I felt my heart racing near his, and even though I hopelessly wanted to squeeze the sadness out of him, I felt like I was halfway there. 

"I'm never going to leave you," I whispered to him, hopefully audible. As his arms came around me, only to hug me closer and tighter, I heard him sob, beginning to cry. 

He could barely speak, but he got out the only words I needed to hear to know that I'd finally done something to help him.

"I love you."

.

.

thanks to ellamenzies for requesting! I hope you liked it, babe! so sorry for the wait! 

I LOVE YOU SORRY FOR THE LATE UPDATES OMG

ugh i'm too lazy to be successful i don't deserve it 

Mel xx

i'm not gonna double update today, i'm sorry. i don't want to rush something and not make it good x