Summer School (Request)

I didn't like school, but I certainly didn't like sitting around at home bored out of my mind. That was how it happened for a few days after school ended, though. The state tests were that next week, and it was hot. 

We stood outside the school doors, waiting for the next few hours of our life to be torturous. I stood with some of my friends, talking about summer plans or the lack thereof. I saw a car pull up out of the corner of my eye, seeing his blonde hair catch the light. I glanced over at him for only a few seconds just to make sure I didn't mistake him for someone else, but how could I? 

I liked Niall, but I didn't. The whole thing was a rollercoaster of confusion. He was always nice to everyone, and his parents had taught him to be that way, so it was hard to distinguish between friendly and special. I wanted to like him, but knowing with 99.9% surety that he didn't like me made me try not to. It was really hard. 

He bounded up the steps, knocking into one of his friends with a laugh and a huge grin. He was always goofing around, always giving me something to look at. But then I'd remember he didn't like me the way I liked him, my stomach would drop to the floor, and I'd look away.

When the doors finally opened, they had us put our phones on a table and made sure we had a pen and pencil. I placed my phone down, seeing his land right next to mine just as I turned away. A loud, nervous heartbeat shot through my body, and I tensed up, walking back over to my friends. 

We walked to our designated desks, they read over the rules, and then the test began. That test was math, which I wasn't completely amazing at. I did think most of it was easy, well the multiple choice. Just as I was sighing to myself about the first short answer question, someone dropped something behind me. I turned to look, seeing Niall lean down to grab his pencil a few seats back in the row to the left of me. I couldn't help but smile, turning back to my test. 

A few minutes later, I thought I heard my name. I quickly glanced around at all of the teachers, seeing none of them looking at me. I shrugged it off, continuing on. At that rate, I would be done about 45 minutes before we were allowed to leave. 

"Lakshmi!" I heard, not daring to deny that someone had really said it that time. I felt my eyes widen, and the grip on my pen tightened. I turned to see, meeting Niall's eyes immediately. When he began to try to say something, I instantly shook my head, knowing that we could get zeros for talking during the test, and if we got zeros, we would fail the class for that year. I didn't want to take it next year, or worse, take summer school. 

I flipped back around, pretending that nothing had happened. A few minutes later, no surprise, I heard my name once more, but I stayed right where I was. 

I could barely make out what he was saying. Something about having to pee? Or was there a bee? The industrial fans in the room were too loud to make out much of anything. Why did he need to tell me anyway? Just as he started saying his line one more time and I turned to tell him to shut up, a teacher walked over and gestured for us to get out of the room. 

We hurried out, more so me than him, and the principal was sitting at the desk with all of the phones. 

"Why were you talking?" she wondered, giving us both a look that would indeed kill us if it could as she wrote our names down on a paper.  

"I was trying to tell her something, ma'am," he spoke calmly. I chewed on the inside of my lip, playing with my fingers. 

"And what would that be?" she asked harshly, making me sigh.

"I couldn't hear him at all," I interjected, watching her eyes switch to me. "I tried to ignore him and didn't acknowledge anything that I thought I'd heard." I watched her write that down, too. 

"What did you think you'd heard?" I shifted my weight from one foot to the other, trying not to look anxious but failing. 

"Something about a bee?" I shrugged, glancing at Niall who was completely calm. 

"Were you trying to give her answers, Horan?" she asked, and I turned my head to look at him, wondering how he wasn't freaking out like I was. 

"Not at all. I barely know the answers myself," he spoke, and the principal sighed. 

"Is there anything else I need to write down?" I shook my head immediately, but Niall leaned forward to look at what she had written. 

"You got on there that I was trying to ask her out, right?" I heard him say, and it took me a few seconds for it to register. I saw her staring at him, doing the same as my jaw dropped. 

"W-what?" I barely got out, and I watched him turn and give me the biggest, cutest, dorkiest grin possible, confirming he wasn't joking. 

Well, at least I got to see my boyfriend in summer school. 

.

.

thanks to Little-White-Lies3 for requesting! i hope you liked it and I'm so sorry for the wait! 

i love you all so much, and thank you for inspiring me to get double updates twice in a row :) 

Mel xx