Presidential Campaign (Request)

It was strange, having to control my laughter like that. I couldn't recall the last time I'd laughed that hard, especially at the Colonel.

"It's human nature to make mistakes, Lieutenant. You know that, right?" he retorted, glaring at me as I finally stopped laughing. I cleared my voice, making sure I wouldn't laugh anymore.

"I'm aware, sir. But there are no mistakes quite as stupid as your own," I continued to tease, watching him let himself smile again. He pinched the bridge of his nose, glancing at me standing on the opposite side of his desk.

"I think I may have an open position for first lieutenant," he smirked, straightening the phone on its receiver.

"Oh, come on," I sighed, letting my eyes smile for my lips. "You know you love me."

"Quite right, Lieutenant," he nodded, and I furrowed my eyebrows. It suddenly felt like I was about to pull the trigger. My heart began to race, my hands curled together, and my eyes opened as wide as they possibly could. Just as I was about to move away and assess what was making me feel so strange, he began laughing. I regained my calm, giving him a nod.

"Good joke, sir," I spoke dully, the sound of my heart still lingering in my ears. "But those kinds of jokes are only made on occasions, if I'm correct." I was trying to hint at him that the word 'love' should not be carelessly tossed about. My words jumbled together, as I was still trying to figure out what had made me become so unstable.

"To brighten someone's mood, I would think," he contemplated, turning his chair to stare out the window. He hadn't really caught onto my implications, but before I could correct him, he continued.

"And often moods around here are less than bright." I focused more on the fact that he'd probably meant me instead of the fact that his voice was frantic. I briefly wondered if he was also trying to tell me something in code. Were we being listened in on?

"They have their reasons as I have mine," I countered, knowing that he knew as well as I did how work could be stressful. He nodded, sighing as he turned back to look at me.

"I'm not usually the charitable type," he started, meeting my eyes for only a few seconds at a time.

"Sir?" I waited for his answer as he stood from his chair.

"But I could stand to lighten a spirit or two," he spoke enthusiastically, placing two determined fists on the desk.

"And if I'm going to become president, I might as well start the people of my own country," he told me, stepping around to walk away from me. He approached Styles, clapping a hand on his shoulder before leaving the room without another word.

.

I tried to put the whole thing out of my mind, running errands for everyone in the squad for the rest of the day. But the next day at lunch, he seemed happier than usual just reminding me about all of it.

"She didn't even care that I was going to replace her," he joked with Malik. The second lieutenant politely laughed along with him, mostly giving me sympathetic looks. I only continued eating.

"You really should eat, sir," I spoke up at one point. "You've been eating sweets this entire week." He chuckled.

"You don't have to get upset with me, Hawkeye," he teasingly pouted at me. "You know I love you." It was that again after all.

"Sure, Colonel," I nodded, more interested in my food.

"I said I would try to lighten spirits!" he laughed at me, seeming to be a great mood himself. He turned to Payne, smiling.