Do Your Best (Request)

I shook my head, feeling like I wanted to cry but knowing full well that it would be a stupid idea.

My lowest grade had never dropped below an 80, but that year of high school was not easy. I was too distracted all of the time, the teachers didn't care that much, and the homework didn't ever get done.

I asked to go to the bathroom during math, completely done with that class out of all of them. I wandered the halls for as long as I knew I wouldn't get in trouble, coincidentally running in the one and only, Niall.

He and I had started dating during the summer before that year, wanting to do it but never making it official. He was a senior and I was a junior, so we wanted to date while he was still in high school.

"Hey," he smiled, looking surprised. I sighed, giving a half-enthusiastic wave. He tilted his head to the side, knowing immediately that something was wrong.

"Wandering the halls again?" he chucked, making me nod. I walked into his chest, leaning my head on his shoulder.

"I hate this," I groaned, thinking about how disappointed my parents would be when they saw my grades.

"What's wrong, babe?" he asked, and I backed up to give him a small smile.

"My grades are doing worse than ever, and my parents are going to be ticked off. I probably won't be able to see you for a month or two," I explained, knowing they would ground me, take away my phone, and all that parental crap.

"What? Why are they going to be so upset? My grades are three times worse than yours, and my parents barely care," he said sympathetically, in a way. I chewed on my tongue, jealous of him just then.

"I'm usually really good with grades, but obviously not," I sighed, staring at the ground and pushing back tears. It was so hard for me to accept failure.

"Gianna," he called, poking my nose and getting me to look up at him. His optimistic personality shone through then.

"Do your absolute best," he said with a grin. "Effort is all that matters." I shook my head slowly, trying to not to kill his spirit since mine was already dead.

"Effort and trying doesn't bring perfect results. My parents will still be upset," I shrugged, and he frowned.

"What about me?" I looked back up into his eyes, mine widening.

"You're disappointed too, aren't you?" I asked, making it a fact by the end of the sentence. I really felt like bursting into tears then, turning to walk away. I couldn't stand to see the sadness in those beautiful eyes of his.

"No, no!" he yelled, catching my hand before I could get too far. I could almost taste the mixture of stress and tears boiling over inside of me. I began to cry, letting out a sob. He hugged me close, muffling my cries.

"Numbers don't define you and me. I love you for who are," he said quickly, trying to soothe me. I stopped crying, enveloped in his arms and love.

And I tried desperately to be who Niall thought I was that year, finding that in the end, I didn't have to try at all.

He brought out the best in me.

.

.

thanks to Gianna725 for requesting! So so sorry for the wait but I hope you liked it!

I love you all so much!! trying trying trying to double update and that's where some inspiration for this imagine came. also because I'm not doing too hot in math rn

Mel xx

have a great day. for me. and try your best no matter what