Yours (Request)

At first, we stayed separate for a long time, but the little moments weaved together until we were stuck. But it all started early in the morning.

I'd been sleeping pretty soundly, not like any other night as of late, when I woke up for some reason. Glancing at the time as my eyes registered the faint light from the window, I closed them again, only to have them pop right back open again. Sending my drowsy body and mind into a slight panic, there was a frantic banging on the door. 

I slipped out of bed, trying to be as quiet as possible even though I knew there were many walls between me and my front door. I snuck into the foyer, my heart beating a little too fast for my body which had just woken up. I didn't quite know what to do, seeming to have a prayer answered as a voice rang out from the threshold. 

"Hello?" she called, and I furrowed my eyebrows. It was my neighbor. I waited a few seconds, then made loud footsteps in her direction. I pulled open the door, not aware that I was able to blush so intensely in the early hours of the morning. 

She was stood there, one hand holding a plastic bag, the other clenching her towel to her body. Her wet hair dripped over one shoulder, rolling down her arm. I held my breath, confused but somewhat intrigued. 

"Hey, uh," she smiled, shifting weight back and forth from each foot, signaling impatience. I guessed it was a little more than that, seeing as how it was below freezing and she was soaked. 

"My shower is not working and I have to leave for work in an hour," she started, blinking at me rapidly and letting her knees wobble because of the cold as I took those words in. "Can I use yours?" 

My mind immediately went to the mess of a house behind me, but I couldn't let her freeze there. I nodded quietly, stepping back to let her in, starting to get cold myself. 

I started walking, glancing back to see if she would follow, soon hearing her quick footsteps. I turned on the light for the bathroom, seeing that it was indeed messy, but I don't think she cared. 

"Thank you," she exhaled, stepping in the room and closing the door. Not long after, I hear the water turn on, and I breathed out. 

I absentmindedly began to clean the house a little, seeing the sky begin to gain light against the disappearing clouds of the storm the previous night. 

As I threw a few articles of clothing in the dirty clothes, I hear the bathroom door open. 

"Niall?" she called, and I jumped at my name. I peered around the corner, more awake and also aware that I was still only wearing boxers and a t-shirt. 

We were both hidden behind walls, but she smiled, chuckling a little. I could tell she was in a panic, but she was still bright-eyed.

"Do you have a hair-dryer?" she wondered, and I nodded.

"It's in the cupboard next to the white thing over to the right," I described, realizing as she furrowed her eyebrows at me that I might not have been completely awake even still. 

I timidly walked into the bathroom with her, squeezing past her in the small space. She then had a tank top and a short skirt on, so I wondered why she'd been hiding around the corner. I pulled the appliance out of the cupboard I'd meant, turning to almost hit her with it. She smiled, helping me to do the same. Blinking as I left the steamy room, she flipped it on, dimming the lights above her. 

Continuing to clean a little, glad I'd found a reason to begin in the first place, I passed the now open door, taking a few glances at her. 

I'd seen her a few times getting home from work in the afternoon, struggling with groceries, and taking out the trash, so I was about as familiar as you can get with your neighbors nowadays. We'd never said much, but the glances I'd taken and continued to take were only a testament to how pretty she was, so I enjoyed seeing her when I did. Her visit that morning was unexpected but welcome. 

She turned off the hair-dryer quite quickly, staying quiet for a while. I guessed she was probably doing her makeup, finding myself wondering what her job was as I sat down on the couch. 

When she came out, I was watching television for no other reason other than to not fall asleep, quickly switching it off and standing up. She was sliding on a blazer, pulling her shiny hair out from the collar. 

She gripped her plastic bag, staring at her watch as she breathed out. 

"Ten minutes to spare," she exhaled, meeting my gaze. Her shoulders relaxed then, a small smile coming to her face as she continued to look into my eyes. 

"Thanks," she chuckled, and I laughed along a little. It was a little strange, the situation I'd gotten into, but I wasn't opposed to it that much.

"I'm gonna go grab some breakfast back home," she sighed, pointing to the door. I nodded, letting her let herself out, smiling a little big as she gave me one last glance and then disappeared behind the door. 

I chuckled to myself as I reviewed the whole experience, shrugging as I went back to bed at the abnormality of it all. 

But then it became normal. Oddly enough, the universe provided ways for us back in the early days. "My television is broken and I just bought a new movie. Can I use yours?" And she would come back with such accidents as, "My toilet is backed up and the plumber will be a few hours. Can I use yours?" 

At first, they were coincidences that happened few and far between. Eventually, it was of my own free will, and I guessed it was her's as well.

As those instances became more and more regular, so did our smiles. The occasional touch of our skin no longer needed to be explained.

And as the years went on, what was known as yours became ours.

.

.

thanks to bailee_21 for requesting! i hope you liked it babe! 

sorry for the delay in updates! im determined as heck

update on the amount of time i have; 24 days to do 60 dfklnsdljgnsdgbsd

But I will do it. I really, really want to

Mel x

p.s. got this idea from tumblr :)