After All (Request)

I'm going to kill everyone, I fumed to myself, staring down at my white apparel as they all stared at me. I felt sick to my stomach, but I had to wear it.

My high school choir was having a concert, and the dress code was all white. That disgusted me so much. My wardrobe consisted of black, black and black. I took pride in the way I looked in dark colors, so I stuck with it.

The night of my concert, I was considering skipping, but I would fail choir. I wanted to be rebellious, but then I would stand out and everyone would be looking at me. Plus, I couldn't quit because I loved singing.

My mother, as annoying as she was, burst into my room only a few minutes after I had decided to give up. I was sitting on the floor in front of my closet, staring at nothing.

"You'll love it!" she exclaimed, making me jump. I furrowed my eyebrows, too annoyed at everything to ask what out loud.

"I got you a dress for the concert tonight," she explained, grinning as she set the bag down on my bed.

I groaned, shaking my head.

"You know I don't like dresses," I deadpanned, laying on my back and staring up at the ceiling. She smiled at me.

"Imagine it's black, and try it on," she urged, handing it to me. I did kind of like the shape, but I would have liked it so much more if it had been in black.

"Fine," I finally said after a few seconds. She nodded, rushing out, closing the door and standing just outside.

I pulled it on, and it actually fit well. If I didn't look down, I could convince myself it wasn't white.

"Thanks, Mom," I grumbled through the door, and she pulled it open, looking overly-excited when she saw me.

"You look so pretty in white!" I held back a small smile, finding the compliment abit surprising.

"I'll be ready in 10." I closed the door, taking out my makeup and glancing at the time. I had to be there by six.

For the first time in a while, I got a little more than abit excited about choir. Or really, about anything.

As soon as I got to school, my stomach dropped. There were way too many people in the auditorium. If I had a friend in choir, I would have had her knock me out so I wouldn't have to go out there. Plus, I heard the other members of my choir and grade whispering about my dress and all the mascara I had put on.

We all met in the choir room, waiting until seven to go out there. My slightly shook as I sat alone in the corner, pretending to be texting someone.

I heard his laugh, gritting my teeth as the memories basically attacked me. Niall had harassed me everyday about my clothes.The first time I had seen him, I thought he was cute. That dissolved quickly. He was a jock as far as I was concerned. He could pick up a football and people would cheer.

He glanced at me, and I looked away quick enough to make myself slightly dizzy. Criticism from him was daily and taxing, but that wouldn't stop me from being myself.

He left me alone for a while, but when we walked onto the risers, there was a slight problem with the lights, and that was his chance.

"Hey, Kylie," he called from a few people and a row down. People made a path for him as he made his way towards me. I rolled my eyes, ready for the insult.

“I’d appreciate if you didn’t do this in front of everyone,” I spoke quietly, glancing out at the full auditorium.

“Embarrassed?” he chuckled. His insults always sounded lighthearted to others, but encounters in secret helped me figure them, and him, out.

He leaned close to my ear, and I felt my ears burn.

“You may not think so,” he started, and I braced myself for the hit. “But you look quite like an angel,” he spoke, surprising me more than any time before.

“They’re not much better, but I prefer insults over fake compliments,” I sneered, turning to look him in the eye. I wasn’t buying it.

Our choir teacher came back, not noticing his misplacement quite yet.

He began to move back into place, glancing at me with a smile as my pulse slowed.

“The only thing that’s fake is Mrs. Q’s eyebrows,” he spoke, making me stare intently at our teachers forehead.

My mouth dropped, and I laughed out loud for the first time in years. At school, anyway. He ended up laughing so loud that my teacher threw something at him, and I sighed to myself.

Everyone can lose themselves in something; him in his sports, me in my clothes, others in their hobbies.

But Niall? He wasn’t so bad after all.

.

.

thanks to vampirekylee1d for requesting this! ugh i'm sorry this took so long, but I hope you liked it!

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR ALMOST 30K READS AND 700 FOLLOWERS WHAT SLDGNDFLHGNFDHLKDFNG

I love you all so much, and I'll try my hardest to get back into a rhythm of some sorts. More imagines tomorrow and for the rest of this week!

Thank you so so so much! <3

Mel xxxxxxxxxxxxx

p.s. especially you, Hillary, for worrying about me and being such a wonderful friend.