Infinity

Everything felt like it was crashing down. My boyfriend had just broken up with me, my grades were falling at a steady rate, and, possibly worst of all, Niall was leaving to audition for X Factor sooner than anyone wanted.

I felt like the air itself would collapse onto my shoulders right then, so I went outside to look into the abyss hanging over everyone, not just me. At least then if everything did crumble on top of me, it would be the beautiful stars and not the old ceiling of my bedroom.

I didn't know when I started crying, not noticing the warm tears sliding towards my ears. I just remember being startled by the back door slamming in the distance. Somehow, I knew it was him. Melody must have told him what had happened, my parents only relaying my location to get him to me.

I breathed in with his footsteps, hoping maybe he'd miss me but also wanting him too near to me.

He finally stopped beside me, not speaking a syllable as he joined me in laying in the grass and staring towards the eternities. After that, I started thinking too much, the stars not able to absorb anymore of my nonsense. Those thoughts turned to sobs racking my chest, and he turned to look at me.

"(Y/N)," he sighed. I didn't meet his eyes as I broke into a complete mess, wondering if that was what it felt like to have everything collapse; when you can't hold your sadness in anymore.

"Don't cry. It'll break my heart," he spoke softly, and I wanted to hit him. His heart would break? How insensitive could he be? Insulting my saltwater tears and then leaving for his dreams?

I started to think about pushing him out too, but I didn't want anything like that.

I curled against his chest, biting my tongue to refrain from making any broken noises on the outside. I did my best to regulate my breathing, for him, taking small and shaky steps to coming back out from his shirt.

I eventually let the stars dry my tears, blinking at them until I knew I could breathe normally again.

"How many nights does it take to count the stars, do you think?" I asked him loudly, making sure he heard my words. When he didn't answer, I turned to look at him, seeing his eyes quickly return to the sky. I did the same, listening for the beginning of his answer.

"A long time, I think," he replied, and I let out my air, too.

"That's the time it would take to fix my heart," I spoke, letting the letters fly upwards on my breath. I waited for his pity, desperate for it more than ever, only receiving a long sigh.

"It would feel like infinity," I added, drawing a sign to represent that statement on the canvas above me. The silence that proceeded felt nothing short of that.

"Infinity isn't a number. It's a direction," he finally told me, and I furrowed my eyebrows. "It goes in one direction, really." I considered looking over at him, but my heart refused, speeding up for some reason to get me not to. I spent too much time contemplating that, giving him a space to continue.

"You can either spend your life letting yourself roll backwards down the hill, or you can fight for your happiness," he spoke, sounding older than my soul felt. I finally looked back over at him, seeing his eyes wide with the drops of milk in the galaxies above us. I latched back onto him, realizing I got more than pity. I got a reassurance that he actually cared.

His arms held me closer as I felt my heart counting. It felt like the clock inside it was ticking down until its last seconds. It seemed as if those few remaining numbers told me how much time was left to feel okay, how many seconds until things really fell apart.

But when my chest burst, the warmth that was so close to me, the heat I'd just clung to rushed in and set up a new countdown.

As I lifted my heavy head to meet the gaze I'd pressed against myself, I felt my heart begin counting another infinity.

.

.

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY YAYAYAY I'M 16 WOOOOO

I'm so truly sorry for not posting recently! I really have no excuse. I should be trying as hard as I can. I think that this is my limit, but it really, really isn't. I can do so much more. I can be so much happier.

can you tell i like the new song whOOP

I really hope to get updates to be more regular again, but I'm sorry in advance if I don't :(

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR GETTING ME THROUGH ANOTHER ONE OF MY TEENAGE YEARS WOW I'M AMAZED I'M THIS OLD SLDJNFDLSKNF

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH HAVE A GREAT DAY AND A GREAT LIFE BECAUSE I LOVE YOU

Melody xxxx

p.s. now i can date boys omg yeAH RIGHT