Thanksgiving (Request)

I sat down at the table, the smile on my face feeling fake and elastic.

Niall's mom and dad had invited my mom, dad and I over for Thanksgiving dinner that year, so we happily came over.

I looked across at Niall, seeing the knowing in his eyes. There was a secret we were keeping.

The two of us had been dating ever since we'd worked in the same job in town. But our parents didn't seem to like the other's kid very much. Both of our parents were friends, but often times Niall's dad would give me a funny look and my mom would ignore Niall's simple questions. It was a stupid situation, so we kept our relationship hidden.

All throughout the dinner, Niall was giving me weird looks, nudging my feet under the table, touching my hands on purpose when we would pass food between us. His eyes were almost always on me, and I tried to ask his with my own gaze what was wrong. He shook his head a little, and I sighed.

Our parents continued to drag on the conversation, but I just found myself staring back at Niall and wondering about desert. A little while after they began talking about 'the good old days,' I noticed Niall was shoving a little bit of all of the main dishes into a roll, and then doing that a second time. I furrowed my eyebrows at him, watching a smile grow.

"Excuse me, I just need to use the toilet," I spoke up, remembering quickly where they'd shown me their bathroom was and heading there. A few steps into the hallway, I heard Niall speak up.

"Is there pepper on the table?" he asked, and there was no clear answer that reached my ears. It sounded like he pushed back his chair just as I stepped into the bathroom and closed the door. As I washed my hands, I wondered what Niall was doing, why he was acting weird.

When I opened the door, he was standing there, a grin on his face and his plate in one of his hands.

"C'mon," he whispered, taking my hand with his empty one. He pulled me up the stairs quietly, hearing our parents laugh behind us. They probably wouldn't even noticed we were gone.

He led me into what I guessed was his room when he was a kid, closing the door quietly and handing me the plate.

"Sit down, right there, he grinned, and I did, blinking up at him as he light a candle and then switched the light off. He put the candle between us, sitting down in front of me.

"Have one," he smiled, and I took an everything roll that he'd made, smiling a little.

"What are we doing?" I wondered out loud, and he took a second to swallow.

"I wanted us to have our own dinner," he shrugged, and I let my heart flutter a little. We sat for a few moments eating, and then I spoke up.

"What are you thankful for?" He furrowed his eyebrows, looking up at me and inhaling.

"I'm thankful we had this dinner at my house because if it had been at your's then this wouldn't be happening," he told me, and I chuckled, the laughter quickly dying out when I began to think.

"Do you think we should tell them about us?" I asked him softly, finishing my roll afterwards.

"I don't know," he sighed, looking grim with the flickering light in front of him. Sitting in silence for a few seconds, I listened to him breathing, wondering what he was thinking about.

"What are you thankful for?" he asked me, and I nodded, holding up a finger so I could think.

"I'm thankful for coincidences," I let out, seeing his eyes meet mine expectantly. "Or I would have never met you." The smile on his face grew warmer than the fire in front of us. Motioning for me to come closer, I leaned in and kissed him over the flames. He smelled like home so close to me, and I knew then that I loved him.

And I knew that no matter who we had to keep ourselves a secret from, we would always have each other.

.

.

sorry for not posting this yesterday! i hope everyone who celebrated thanksgiving had a good one!

thanks to anon_writer_123 for requesting! i hope you liked it and sorry for the wait!

i love you all so much you make my days turn into blessings and help me not feel so worthless. thank you so much

Mel x

p.s. I NEED TO WRITE MORREEE