Distracted (Request)

I saw the visitor's pass on his shirt, my eyes then traveling to his eyes and the light in them. I couldn't help the smile that overtook my lips since I'd been thinking about him from that morning when I left to go to work. 

Niall wanted to visit me at work during lunch break, and I was more than happy for that to happen. 

I led him to the break room, sitting down at my usual table, watching him pull up an empty chair for him to sit next to me. 

"It's so nice here," he sighed, trying to stop smiling by pressing his lips together. I opened my lunch bag, glancing around and letting my smile drop into a sigh.

"It feels like a prison sometimes," I spoke a little quieter. I saw Melody walk in with her lunch, waving her over. I hadn't told her I had a boyfriend quite yet, but I guess that was the right time. 

"Melody, this is my boyfriend, Niall," I told her as she sat down. Her eyebrows raised to roof, and my eyes widened. 

"She's always so distracted here at work. Did you know that, Niall?" I heard her speak, and I knew she had figured me out. Niall didn't get the chance to answer. "And now I guess I know why," she smirked, looking in between the both of us. I had slacked off multiple times daydreaming or planning dates or just thinking about Niall. 

"I've been losing sleep lately," I spoke falsely, trying to deter away from the subject over my more-than-slight obsession with Niall. 

"Okay, and is he why?" she asked, my cheeks immediately reddening at what she was thinking. Niall also straightened a little, but I tried to grab hold of the conversation. 

"We have different apartments right now," I said, but her eyes kept lighting up every time I let something fall from my mouth. 

"Right now? You mean that's going to change?" she kept asking, and I let my mouth drop, done with trying. I didn't know what to say that didn't make it sound like I was completely in love with him. I tried to keep my insane emotions to myself. 

"Right now," I let out, seeing Niall still sitting straight and tense. I thought that was really cute that he was so embarrassed, just as I was, but that wasn't what I needed to focus on. "I'm focusing on advancing my career. Sometimes I get distracted because I've never really worked this hard before, so yeah, I'll slack sometimes," I shrugged, chuckling. Melody nodded, still giving me a look that made me look right at Niall. 

After a few minutes of idle chatter and silent chewing, I couldn't handle it anymore. Melody was staring the both of us down and Niall's eyes were definitely on me. 

"I need to use the restroom," I smiled politely, standing to leave before I exploded. I sighed loudly as I entered the ladies' bathroom, glad no one else was in there. I leaned against the sink counter, staring at the stalls as I let the air that I'd been holding in my lungs out. 

I didn't want to come off as someone who couldn't do anything but love someone even though that's still something amazing. I didn't want people to think that I was incapable of focusing on what I wanted and getting it. I guess I shouldn't have cared about what other people thought, but I did. 

"Hey," I heard Niall say, rushing into a stall before he could see me so upset. I wondered why he even bothered to come into the ladies' bathroom in the first place, considering that if someone found him in there he would probably be kicked off the property. 

"Katie?" he called quietly, and I breathed quickly. I didn't want him to know I was so unstable, either.

"Sorry I'm taking so long," I chuckled, biting my tongue when I realized that made it sound like I was taking a long dump or something. I couldn't get any words right, could I? 

"Are you embarrassed?" he asked through the stall door, and I breathed as quietly as I could.

"What do you mean?" I replied, still putting on that front like I wasn't. 

"It's okay to get distracted." I furrowed my eyebrows, seeing his shadow on the floor by my feet. I looked up to the small crack in the stall door, seeing his white t-shirt right there. I thought about what it would be like if I would ever be able to see the concentration in his eyes when he would choose what to wear in the mornings. I realized I was getting distracted again. 

"But not at work," I sighed, looking back down at the ground. 

"No one should be able to tell you to stop thinking about something you love," he continued, and I felt my cheeks begin to heat up once more. I did love him. I stood there with my chest pulsing for a few seconds, reaching to undo the latch on the door. I slowly pushed it open, seeing his expectant face there waiting for me. He was about to say something when I interrupted with something probably more important than what he had to say. 

"I love you," I finally said after far too long. I watched his whole frame freeze, his reddening cheeks helping to thaw him out a little, but I knew it was only because of how sudden it was. I walked towards him even though I wanted to hide my face for a long time, hugging him and unfreezing him completely, feeling his arms wrap around me after a few seconds. 

We stayed like that for a while, and I was thankful no one walked in. I didn't feel uncomfortable at all, my heart rate starting to get back to normal until he whispered it right back to me. 

"I love you." I felt him only hug me tighter, not ready to let me go. I let my heart spaz against his chest for another lifetime, or what felt like it. 

He finally let out a small noise from his throat, and I opened my eyes which I didn't even mean to let close so comfortably. 

"We're in the girl's bathroom," I heard him say beside me, and I nodded, laughing. We both chuckled for another few moments, his arms letting me go after an eternity and a half even though I didn't want to leave them.

And I knew because of what happened in that bathroom that I would be even more distracted at work. 

.

.

thanks to Katiehhoran for requesting! sorry for the long wait babe, but I hope you liked it! 

i love you all! double updates today and tomorrow to make up for lost time :) 

the wattpad gods are merciful and wise and keep insignificant imagines in their database. thank you, wattpad gods. i will be forever in your debt

no but really i thought i'd lost an imagine forever but wattpad brought it back and i balled my eyes out in happiness wow i'm still in shock

Mel xx i love this website