Needed (Request)

When I slipped out of bed that morning, somewhat remembering having been woken up, I shivered. I'd not remembered being that cold in quite sometime.

"What time is it, babe?" I called, shivering as I yawned and pulled on a sweater. She was tying up her hair, my eyes adjusting to the light.

"It's 7:23," she answered from the bathroom, glancing at her phone.

"I might be late," I spoke, a little unconcerned. It was too cold to do much of anything.

"Work's cancelled for you," she told me, and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"What?" I yawned again, coming into the bathroom to begin to brush my teeth out of habit.

"It snowed all last night so they cancelled your work," she clarified, and I nodded, rubbing an eye as I stared at her through the mirror. That made my lungs deflate with relief, having way too stressed that week already. I wanted a break.

"And the day care," she added, and I nodded again, unaware of what she had really just said. The snow day was already crazy, I didn't think it could get much more insane from there.

"Did you hear me?" she wondered, blinking at me with wide eyes. "It's why I woke you up," she chuckled, grabbing her phone. I finally realized what that meant, nearing choking on my full mouth full of toothpaste.

"I have to--" She nodded, smiling because she knew how bad I was with the twins. When we'd had the two of them only a few months back, I'd become terrified, knowing I needed her to help me get through it, but that day I was on my own.

She walked out, and I finished brushing my teeth, my heart trying to stay calm.

I rushed quietly into the kitchen, knowing the two babies were sleeping, and made sure she hadn't left me completely alone quite yet. She was gathering her things, Nalleah already in her arms, and I sighed out in relief.

"She nearly woke up, so I had to cradle her back to sleep quickly," she explained, and I made my steps towards her a million times lighter. I didn't want to do anything wrong then or in the next few hours.

"Niall, I can hear you panicking," she smirked, whispering to me from across the kitchen. I smiled a little, walking up to her. Before I could even get a word in, she read my mind, holding up a finger to keep me from speaking. It was amazing how well she knew me.

"You know how to make formula, and you know how to change a diaper," she reassured me. I swallowed hard, glancing down at our little girl.

"Sometimes, but not this early in the morning," I sighed, and she briefly ran her fingers over my cheek.

"I think you'll be fine. As long as you keep quiet until they wake up on their own, you'll be good," she nodded, handing Nalleah. I let out small breaths, hoping I wouldn't fail right then. Knowing my luck, I should have.

"You can set her back down in her crib, just be quiet for Jasper," she nodded, and I nodded right back. Kissing me all too briefly, she headed out the door, letting in all of the freezing air as her warmth left the house.

I stood there for a while, making sure I wouldn't wake her in my arms, reassuring myself that the least I could do was not get anyone killed. Getting hurt was another story.

I tiptoed back to Nalleah's room, setting her gently into her crib again, sighing out with relief only to hear Jasper cry out seconds later. I rushed into his room, picking him and slightly panicking for a few minutes. What did he want? Was it his diaper?

Eventually, I walked around in his room with him, having him pass out again on my shoulder. I stopped counting the times I'd sighed with relief in those few minutes alone.

I went back in to check on Nalleah, letting out a smile before everything went downhill. Jasper began to cry, waking Nalleah and sending me into ultimate freakout mode.

How does my wife do it? How does anyone? I wondered to myself, struggling through an entire day of barf, poop, formula bottles, and drowsy eyelids.

Somehow making it through, ending up with a soaked shoulder, a headache, a load of laundry, and a fondness for silence.

Finally, after counting down the hours, the minutes, the seconds until she got home, I was done, freed from having to do a job that I hadn't been trained for. I guess I'd been too relieved for not having work that morning that I still got a job to do that day anyway.

The kids were both luckily asleep when she did get home, coming through the door whistling some happy tune as I stared at her, exhausted from the couch. I raised a finger to my lips as she met my eyes, signalling that if she woke them it was her problem.

"How did it go? Did you survive?" she asked me, smirking. She knew the answer full well, probably by my eyes but also because she just knew me so well.

"How do you do it?" I wondered out loud, standing to be next to her, be next to sanity.

"I get by," she shrugged, putting down her bag and taking out her hair, running her fingers through it. She looked exhausted, too, probably still having a night of screaming children ahead of her.

"It's incredible," I breathed, shaking my head. How had I found such a strong woman?

"I try my best," she chuckled, facing me. I blinked for a few moments, taking in her scent, the sense of safety and peace she radiated. Needing her completely, I pulled her into a hug, sighing out against her chest.

"I didn't know how much I needed you until now," I spoke out, as loud as I wanted but only enough to let her know that I wasn't going to forget it, either. She froze against me, tense and stiff. I let go, making sure I hadn't thrown her off completely. Maybe I'd placed too much of a burden on her.

I looked into her loving eyes, seeing they were tired just like mine.

"I'm sorry I couldn't be here," she said aloud, her normal voice volume finally received by my ears.

I shook my head, the smile on my lips uncontrollable.

"You're here now." And as he leaned in to kiss me, I knew without a doubt that she was all I ever needed.

.

.

thanks to HornDogNiall for requesting! i hope you liked it babe and sorry for the wait!

50 imagines in 13 days. possible? i really really dont think so and i dont know what to do

I LOVE YOU ALL ANYWAYS AND IM TRYING MY BEST I WAS SO BUSY TODAY LDGJNLSGNLN

Mel xx

p.s. Hillary, if you're reading, I want you to know that I'm really, truly sorry and I hope you feel better and stay strong booboo x