Proof

"For the whole summer?" he asked, and that was when I first started hearing the jealousy in his voice.

My friend Melody and I had planned to get fit that summer, and we wanted to get up early in the mornings, run for a while, and then come back to my place and eat a healthy breakfast. It excited the both of us so much so that it was all we could talk about.

"Yeah. I mean, I want to be able to run up the stairs and not still be out of breath five minutes later, you know?" I smiled, and he tried smiling back, sitting a few feet away from me on the couch in my living room. He set his coffee down, and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Oh come on, Niall," I chuckled, seeing him have dropped his smile completely. "You're not jealous, are you?"

"I don't know, (Y/N)," he spoke quietly, sounding more upset than I thought he was. I left my smile behind as well, wondering what he could have been thinking about.

Niall and I had met when I moved into town, and since then we'd gotten along really well. I would've said we were dating, but he hadn't asked me to be his girlfriend, so I wouldn't have said that, really. We were both a little shy about our feelings, but I was trying to overcome that.

I forced myself to laugh once more, hoping he would catch on.

"You don't think she likes me, do you?" I joked, and I took another sip of my coffee, waiting for the obvious no. I swallowed, looking back over to the pout on his lips and nearly choking.

Does he really think she likes me like that? I asked myself, staring at him. He sighed, shrugging.

He does! I tried not to look so shocked, knowing Melody was sure of herself in that respect, beginning to wave my hand back and forth.

"Niall, she's not--" I started, but he cut me off.

"But she could be!" he exclaimed, finally looking up at me with something fierce behind his eyes. I let my mouth close. "And who knows? If you spend all summer with her then maybe you'll like her, too," he spoke, leaning back against the couch and crossing his arms over his chest.

I sat in silence for a few seconds, my eyes glued to him. I wondered how much he must have liked me to be that jealous, my cheeks suddenly turning red. I thought of all of the things I hadn't told him about how I felt towards him, knowing those needed to come forward at some point.

"You don't want me to spend a lot of time with her?" I asked him, standing up slowly and walking to sit down next to him. He raised an eyebrow at me, quickly going back to looking angry afterwards.

"I don't," he confirmed, and I felt a jab in the pit of my stomach.

Would I be jealous, too, if he did something like this? I thought, sighing.

"Do you want proof that none of that will happen?" I watched him become curious, and I placed a steadying hand on the couch next to his leg.

I leaned closer to him, letting a small smile peak through, wanting to have kissed him for some time.

But as our lips got closer, as his breaths increased, as my cheeks burned redder, as my eyes forgot where they should look, I began to regret trying something so new and dangerous. I was about to back out when I felt his fingers find a place just beneath my ear, traveling up to my heated cheek and pulling me ever so closer.

I didn't remember how to breathe anymore, stuck so close to him. My heartbeat was distant in my ears, but I could feel it pulsing in the farthest reaches of my body. I shut my eyes tight, hoping I could somehow erase time.

When he let go, my eyes shot open, trying to understand what had happened.

Niall smiled for me, and there was a completely different air about him. I watched his lips relax, not really noticing how aware I was of them after that. He sat back against the back of couch, a slight blush in his cheeks as he reassured me that time didn't need to be erased anymore nor did I want it to be.

"That was more than enough proof."

.

.

thanks to me for coming up with this cute idea and writing it in like 30 minutes lol

there's been an awful lot of jealousy in these imagines lately, hasn't there? I wonder who I'm subconsciously jealous of bc I always put my emotions into what I'm writing somehow. . .

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH AND THANK YOU FOR BEING SO WONDERFUL

I'm going to be posting everyday day now, and I'll sprinkle in double updates here and there

see you again tomorrow! love you guys so freaking much wow I'm crying

Melody xxxxx

long note lol