Safe (Request)

I stood up and wiped the dirt from my pants, smiling. All the flowers were finally planted in the garden. Niall had been wanting them there since the beginning of fall, and I finally got the motivation to fulfill that mid-spring.

When I heard footsteps coming from behind me, I smiled even wider.

"I knew you'd be back soon," I spoke, not even needing to turn around to know it was Niall. He had gone to the store at my request so I could plant them and then surprise him.

"How have you been?" My eyes widened at the voice, realizing it was not Niall after all.

I spun around to meet the eyes of my ex, Johnny. He had been pretty abusive at times, and I got out before I could get really hurt.

"You're right; I'm back pretty soon, huh?" he smirked, and I rolled my eyes, trying to act like I wasn't quite scared.

"I thought you were someone else," I sighed, slipping off my garden gloves. He scowled at me.

"Your new boyfriend? Honey, I'm much better than him," he tried to brag. I hid the engagement ring on my finger, cursing myself for not taking it off while gardening. The feeling I got, the feeling like I wasn't safe, closed in on me.

"Why don't you find someone else? Stop obsessing over me," I spat, disgusted that he was that desperate.

"I told you. I'm better than him and always will be. That's why I'm here," ha spoke like his actions were justified. "Do you need me to show you?" I clenched my fists.

"If you try anything, I'll-" He cut me off rudely, and I wished Niall would be home soon.

"Hit me? You've tried that," he glared. I was about to tell him off or run away, but he grabbed my wrists, restraining me, then kissed me.

I tried my best to push away, keeping my mouth closed. He used my own hand to jab me in the stomach, making my mouth fall open against his.

He let go for a second, laughing.

"Still better." Just as he said that, a hand appeared on his shoulder. Niall threw him to the ground, surprising him enough to make him drop the grip on my wrists.

I backed away quickly, feeling relieved. Niall didn't even acknowledge me, staring down at Johnny as he got up. He towered over Niall, but in my eyes, Niall might as well have been a skyscraper.

He punched him time after time, dodging all the offensive attacks against him like he was trained. He yelled out cruel words, but all I did was watch.

When Johnny fell over, beaten pretty hard, I saw the rage in Niall's eyes.

"Stop," I called out, watching Niall go for a hard hit. "Stop!" I exclaimed, much louder.

Before he could let himself out, I hugged him, feeling the intensity in his chest and shoulders.

"Niall. It's not worth it," I spoke as he tried to push me off.

"Let go! Let me-" I squeezed my eyes shut, blocking everything out. I held onto him, knowing he might kill him if I didn't.

When he finally stopped moving, his shoulders dropped, his breathing heavy. Johnny was scrambling away from what I could tell, and when his voice left, I let Niall go.

"Niall," I said again, touching his face. "I'm sorry. He came out of nowhere," I half-sobbed, half-yelled. He nodded, looking blank.

"Niall?" He looked as if he would explode, then he let it out in a smile.

"I'm sorry. Thank you for stopping me," he sighed. I watched him standing there, hoping he really was alright. I was afraid to ask.

"I thought you would never come," I whispered, seeing him take hesitant steps towards me until he met me with a hug.

"I'm here now," he whispered back, and I let myself relax. "You're worth more than some idiot with attachment issues."

I hoped I would never have to see Niall like that again, but at least I knew I was safe.

.

.

thanks to izzyofficially for requesting this! so sorry for the wait but I hope you liked it!

I love you guys so much and I hope you're having a wonderful day!

Mel x