Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Kizzy

I watch him wither, no longer the wayward charmer. He knows that he's done for. It has all been so unnecessary...he didn't need to take Lucky he could have just simply asked me. But you know it takes all sorts...I mean look at my Dad! For once all safely tucked up in prison. The only way he'll be leaving there again is in a box.

"Listen, sooner or later they're going to storm this place..."

He laughs wildly, "Then I guess we'll go out in a blaze of glory."

"Not funny."

He may be ready to die but I certainly am not. I look down at Lucky. She stinks so bad. Her hair is matted with vomit and her nappy...well put it this way I'm in no hurry to look. The whole place smells like a sewer.

"Don't worry," I whisper, "We're going to see Mummy real soon." Her eyes brighten, funny she never seemed that bothered about Mum before.

I stare towards the door willing it to open then I look back at him and wonder if there is any way that I could take him...He's tall and skinny but a lot more powerful than he looks. If Lucky wasn't here I'd chance it but I don't want to traumatize her any more than she probably is already.

He glares at me clearly irritated, "Why do you keep looking at the door? You want out...that's it isn't it? Don't fucking lie to me now!"

I roll my eyes, what does he expect? This is hardly Loves young dream. We both look again at the door as the megaphone once more springs to life.

"It's not too late Dante we can help you but first you must help yourself by handing over Lucky."

There is a polite pause before he continues, "Kizzy can bring her out for you."

My heart leaps finally someone remembers that I'm alive. I look at Dante expectantly. I'm shocked that he's fallen to pieces so easily. For some reason this shatters any romantic or sexual notions. He has put me right off. My knife jabs me in the leg, a faithful reminder that if I try hard enough I will find a way. My hands will lead me I just have to trust the process.

Lucky drops off again exhausted from all the crying so I lay her down and walk towards the door. Dante jumps up and orders me back to the bed.

"Let me at least talk to them...it's worth a try," I say feeling an uneasy sense of desperation creep up my neck.

He shakes his head crying like a baby, "Fuck, what have I done?"

I squeeze his hand as kindly as I can muster, "You haven't done anything, all you did was fall in love with the wrong girl...it happens."

He wails even louder and I fight back a strong urge to puke. I feel as if the world is suffocating us, everything feels so dark, so wrong...why am I here?

I stand up and walk to the corner, the place is stacked high with boxes...that's odd I thought this place was abandoned. I open one keeping an eye on Dante. At the moment he's out of it muttering away to himself. I turn back to the box. Jesus ...it's fireworks, loads and loads of fireworks.

Dante heads to the door and presses his ear against it. All has gone oddly quiet as if a dastardly plot is being cooked up. Then there is an almighty bang causing him to jump back. Like it or not they are trying to bash their way in...What now?

Benita and Phoenix.

"What's taking you so long? Get my daughter!" shrieked Benita.

"We are doing all that we can, this has to be handled delicately."

Phoenix grabbed her hand and sat her down on the kerb. This was getting beyond crazy and he just couldn't believe how so many officers were standing around doing seemingly jack shit. He called over to one of them, "Let me try... Let me speak to Kizzy."

Mr Megaphone looked doubtful.

"Come on," Phoenix said, "What do we have to lose?"